New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Cobra or 2002 Camaro SS

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004 | 02:03 PM
Administrator

Since you said you're kind of in a financial bind, my suggestion would be to pick up a LS1. Contrary to popular belief, Cobras are NOT cheap to mod. My exhaust system cost $1500 and that is without headers. You'll hit 450rwhp for around $3,000. Then you're stuck. It'll take another $4,000 or so to make anymore power unless you go with nitrous.
Old 09-08-2004 | 02:08 PM
On The Tree

Best to get a 98SS for like $12K I got my fully loaded 98 Z-28 with the rs kit for $11K two years ago with 78K on it in California from a dealer. Buld yourself an engine a rear end and slap on a blower or turbo with the money you would have saved getting the Camaro over the Cobra. If money is not an option to you well then get the Cobra. But you could build a savage car and have lots of fun doing it with the Camaro.
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I'm not trying to sound narrow minded, I realize I am biased, but I don't think you could even pay me to own a Mustang. I don't like what Ford calls "quality." Way too many bad Ford vehicles in our family over the decades...
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SSCam99
I'm not trying to sound narrow minded, I realize I am biased, but I don't think you could even pay me to own a Mustang. I don't like what Ford calls "quality." Way too many bad Ford vehicles in our family over the decades...
I'd also reccomend driving both before making a decision.
Old 09-08-2004 | 03:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by SSCam99
I've owned several of both. As a whole both GM and Ford put out a shitty vehicle in terms of quality. That's why the masses can afford them. My LS1 was no better quality-wise than my '03 Cobra. Each has it's ups and downs.
Old 09-08-2004 | 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

As much as I like the 03/04 Cobra (hate to say it, but them and the Lightning are the very few Fords I would drive), I honestly think you are better off with the F-body. A few years down the road it might be different, but the price of admission to the Stang is still too high. The F-body is PLENTY fast. If you want a fast/quick car, it's VERY easy to run DEEP 12's with bolt-ons, 11's with a cam, and 10's-11's with head work. Then, if you still need more speed, forge some internals and spray it for well over 500rwhp and rwtq....or over 600 if you please. You should not have too hard of a time modding the F-body very far as compared to the stang due to the cheaper entry fee. That is my end goal.
Also, someone else stated this, I feel like I am sitting up high on top of the car in a stang and you have a very nice, low, racey feel to the seating position in the F-body.
Old 09-08-2004 | 04:54 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

in before this thread blows the **** up
Old 09-08-2004 | 05:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Eh go for the SS. This guy at my ex's work, had the same decision, when his f-body was totalled. Chose the Cobra. Then it overheated and blew the entire motor. Wasn't even racing....just driving to work. He's not an idiot either(even tho I'd like to think he is). I like the idea of a forged blown motor from the factory. I just prefer my blocks to stay cooled down instead of steaming.
Old 09-08-2004 | 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Just my .02. I work for a Ford dealer and have driven and seen the problems with 03 up cobras. I own and drive a 99 Z28 every day and wouldn't even come close to picking the Cobra over a Z. Those things drive very awkward, are very clunky, and have the stiffest clutch ever known to man. Sure they're fast with bolt ons etc- but shouldn't it be for $35,000 plus mods!!!! I've had my share of both, including a 96 Vortech Cobra and still love my Z. Much more fun to make a Z fast anyway IMHO.
Old 09-08-2004 | 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

http://z2nv.com/videos/CobravsC5-1.wmvMaybe this will help your decision. Heads and cam package on a ls1=cobra losing. Someone earlier in this thread said that H/C package still wouldn't beat a cobra. I think it will. I am pretty sure that almost every year camaro/firebird and mustang were put out GM always was the quicker car, stock. LS1's were even faster than the 2002 cobra.Then ford waits till F-body
is no longer made to come up with something faster. Not even giving a fair chance to compete since there not made anymore, thats chicken ****. Just for those reasons I would go with an F-body.

Last edited by Tranzaman00; 09-08-2004 at 07:36 PM.
Old 09-08-2004 | 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by unit213
Since you said you're kind of in a financial bind, my suggestion would be to pick up a LS1. Contrary to popular belief, Cobras are NOT cheap to mod. My exhaust system cost $1500 and that is without headers. You'll hit 450rwhp for around $3,000. Then you're stuck. It'll take another $4,000 or so to make anymore power unless you go with nitrous.
I didn't know that it cost that much to mod a Snake. I almost brought one but they were not out yet. I couldn't wait so I got the SS and yes I am extremly happy
Old 09-08-2004 | 06:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whitecamaross
just get a 03 cobra. easy to mod, boost it, get tires, exhaust and yes it will be more money, but you have a warranty and not to mention the beautiful interior. if you are not a hell of a good driver then get a 03 cobra. it is much easier to rev all the way to 7k before shifting rather than shifting quick and trying to squeeze the juice out of a f body to keep up with a modded cobra. in the long run you will run alot faster with the cobra than you will with a h/c n/a f body. it takes alot of bolt ons, weight reduction to go 11s naturally aspirated on a fbody, but it doesnt take much to go 11s on a 03 cobra just boost it up, full exhaust and a good tune and you should be good.
This is what I was talking about. Not to call you out or **** you off by any means. I realize that this is not an f-body but it's also not a z06. This was the closest video I had my hands on. What do you think. LS1 H/C package
N/A..........
Old 09-08-2004 | 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

i would get the cobra, have you seen a stock bottomend ls1 that could hold 800hp at the wheels? or get a 98 ls1 and put a 15k motor in it.
Old 09-08-2004 | 07:47 PM
11 Second Club

How long can a cobra's stock bottom handle 800 at the wheels? What does it cost to make tha 800 at the wheels? What can a ~$2k forged short block LS1 handle at the wheels??
Old 09-08-2004 | 07:51 PM
Staging Lane

2k for a forged shortblock??? you have to pay over 3k for a good rotating assembly.

the only thing i dont like about the new cobras, is that they are way to heavy.
Old 09-08-2004 | 08:01 PM
11 Second Club

One diff b/t a forged short block and a new rotating assembly is that you keep your stock crank. The stock crank shoud be good to go for a good bit of horsepower if you don't rev to the moon. That helps keep the price down, and is cheaper than a new rotating assembly. Stock crank should be okay for H/C + N20, from what I gather, if you don't go crazy or rev to the moon.
Old 09-08-2004 | 08:23 PM
Launching!

Listen to Unit....he knows because he has been there. And is right about the modding. 3000$ and you are right at about 450 hp. Much past that and you are looking at n2o, Apten, Whipple, Kenne Bell, ATI, or major engine work. Plus as he said it is expensive to own just out right. In the end you will have a great car, but won't have the money to do stuff to it, afford other things like beer, eating out, or buying groceries. I know becuase I am there right now. I can afford the insurance on the F-bod because it is 1500 a year for me. The Cobra on the other hand is 2800. Also payments were around 900 a month for the car to be payed off in three years. Thinking about going for a 5 or six year....not good. Intrest will rape and pillage you. Before you know it you will be upside down in the car oweing more than it is worth.

I promise you I am right there with ya. My hearts desire is to have a Sonic Blue 2003, with all the bolt ons...but I am 21 in School at Auburn(out of state), and right now a 9,500$ Camaro that I can enjoy, mod, and won't break the bank is where it is at. Cheaper to mod, cheaper to maintain. And trust me on this, the Cobra has lots of funny little quirks. Some get good ones that never go to the shop but others get lemons...like my buddy who has had his tranny replaced 3 times, TOB 7 times, Pop Tink service, Diff leak, head tick, and even the dang squeeky pasenger seat.
Old 09-08-2004 | 08:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Tranzaman00
http://z2nv.com/videos/CobravsC5-1.wmvMaybe this will help your decision. Heads and cam package on a ls1=cobra losing. Someone earlier in this thread said that H/C package still wouldn't beat a cobra. I think it will. I am pretty sure that almost every year camaro/firebird and mustang were put out GM always was the quicker car, stock. LS1's were even faster than the 2002 cobra.Then ford waits till F-body
is no longer made to come up with something faster. Not even giving a fair chance to compete since there not made anymore, thats chicken ****. Just for those reasons I would go with an F-body.
LS1's were definitely faster than the '02 Cobras.

Maybe you should stick to something you know about instead of giving advice based upon

All Throttle No Bottle - PM me if you want real world advice. I'll answer specific questions. I've owned a mid 11 second LS1 and I currently own a low 11 second (soon to be 10 second) '03 Cobra. I will give you an unbiased opinion. I enjoy both cars equally, but in different areas.

Dan
Old 09-08-2004 | 08:39 PM
Staging Lane

FYI - There was no 02 Cobra, only 99, 01, 03, and 04 for the new body style. I think now I am leaning towards the LS1, but I will pm you unit. Thanks everyone for your help, I have owned a mustang, but not a camaro, so I think I will see how the 1.1 extra liters are
Old 09-08-2004 | 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both are fun to play with.

I deal with the 03's daily, and have seen some of the qwerks that they have. I still would like to have one. (Pulley, Exhaust, Steeda Tri Ax, Apten blower, SCT tuned, Drag Radials for the first round of mods)

but a $ to power ratio, more than about 420 on the f-car and 450 on the snake you get into a large financial jump.

Comparing a 1998 GT to a 03 cobra is a joke, 98's are about the worst year of the 4.6 ever, i've seen them put down 140-160 hp less than a stock 03

If i could get into a 03 for cheap, i would, but its not worth twice wht my car book values for to get into one.

Ryan