Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lid Install

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:13 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lid Install

I'm having trouble getting the IAT sensor and rubber peice out of the stock airbox. Any tips for an easy way to get it out. I didn't realize it would be so hard so I didn't get my new lid with them in it already. Also I've got an 00 SS. The SSRA install thing says I need a breather filter for the hose on the drivers side of the air box, is it okay if I run my car WITHOUT blocking that hose off? I plan on calling TSP tomorrow and having them send me one, but it'll take a few days to get here.
So is it okayif I drive it with that hose just hanging off by itself? I plan on taking it to the track on sat. Thanks.

Last edited by Ru2n00n3er; 09-08-2004 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

I have always used a pair of needle nose pliers to pull the sensor and rubber piece out.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^ That's what I did too. Just make sure you 1. don't squeeze too tight and break anything, and 2. don't move around the pliers while their clenched so you don't scuff/gouge anything. Just be patient and careful.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ru2n00n3er
I'm having trouble getting the IAT sensor and rubber peice out of the stock airbox. Any tips for an easy way to get it out. I didn't realize it would be so hard so I didn't get my new lid with them in it already.
I was afraid to ruin the IAT sensor on my car and almost ripped the gaket in two, but I finally got the sesor out. Twist the sensor side to side -with your fingers- till it finally squezes out from the top of the stock lid, "gently" pushing from the inside while you twist the sensor out will help. It's a snap to put it onto the new lid.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Thats funny, when I did my lid install it came out no problem.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

I think the problem I had was thinking the IAT sesor was so sensitive that I would brake the sensor and have to buy a new one, which I did not want to do this. But once I put a little more elbow grease and pushed it gently from the inside I had no problem removing the sensor. The MAF sensor was Very difficult to remove, if their is a short cut I diffently could have used it.

I was having such a hard time trying to remove the IAT sensor that I was pocking the rubber gasket with a flat screw driver to seperate, what I thought was a two peice gasket. Yes, I know stupid, and yes I read the instructions but didn't understand the IAT removal. One thing I will advice do this mod after a good meal and rest. The MAF is a pain to remove.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:00 PM
12 Second Club

I got it done today. Just have to have something to block off the air hose now until the actual filter breather gets here from TSP.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

You can get a breather filter from Pep Boys for $10 (I think). Its in the "ricer" section of the store and made by APC. You might even find a K&N one.
Old 09-09-2004, 11:30 PM
Staging Lane

HAHAHA, it's a real BITCH to remove the rubber grommet and install both the grommet iat sensor in the new air lid. I was able to get the grommet out with my fingers, but to get it in the air lid, i had to use needle-nose pliers! It's probably better not to screw with the stock air lid, just go to a chevy dealership and order a grommet/iat sensor. It's cheap, and costed me probably like 20 bucks or something for both. A lot easier that way, and you can hang on to the lid in case you want to return the car back to stock. As for the air filter breather, I don't think that you have to HAVE a k&n brand. It doesn't really matter because it's just air from the air pump which has to do with emissions bs. You could just go ahead and remove EGR/AIR, and not worry about it. Or install the breather filter, but use a plastic tie-down to keep it tightly secured (so it doesn't rub against anything) so it doesn't hit the belt behind it.