New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I love Camaro SS's but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I havent driven a mustand since 1994 but, FWIW, i base my opinion on that experience. i am 6'6" and my knees were stuffed in the dash no matter what adjustment I tried. after a 4 hour trip i was sore and ready to get out for good. the car was fun and all that and if i was 6' or perhaps less then I guess I would have few complaints. I know 94 was light years better built than my 87 gt and impressive if for that alone but I found I fit alot better in my SS and the LS1 is the VERY BEST v8 out there. Fawking mod motor is waaaay too complicated for what it need to do, it's huge and tooo complicated. did I say too complicated yet? If ford had done what GM did and developed and pushrod engine l might still be in that camp. SO my bet is for the SS. 24-28mpg on the highway @80 with a/c going, smooth power, solid handling and better looking too!
Old 09-26-2004, 10:14 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yo
well, both my little bros have mustangs, a 89 5.0 and a 98 gt, i've driven both, both are fun to screw around in, but nothing like the SS. as far as an 03/04 cobra, i've never driven one, but they sound bad ***, haul ***, and look good too(cant' believe i'm saying this). if you got the cash, get the cobra, hell if u got the cash get a used z 06! should be around what a new cobra cost. with the new C6s coming out the C5s and z06s are going cheap.

if i had a choice between my ss or a new cobra, theres no way i'd not choose my ss. i say drive both, see witch u like better, and go with it.
Old 09-26-2004, 11:27 PM
Staging Lane

My buddy let me drive his 2003 putting down about 460 at the wheels. First he drove, then he let me drive. He can drive that thing, and if we were to race it would be ugly for me. I have never been in a car that fast. That said I was just about to sell my WS6 for one, then I remembered that 1.) the clutch was like doing squats, 2.) the ride was not so good(lowered) 3.) just not comfortable to drive 5.) average 13-15 mpg 6.) cheapest one i can find here in nor cal is $25k. I LOVE both Ford and GM's, each has it's strong points, but for the money go with a F body. With a couple bolt ons you are safely in the 12's. Even though most people on this board post as if they race every damn time they get in the car, how fast do you need to go on a daily basis?? Oh, and at least for me, insurance for a Cobra is like $30 more a month, add that to the gas bill and your choice is clear.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:48 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Base you decision on interior comfortability, appearance, and $$$. Both cars can be made to be extremely fast and handle very well.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:25 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 9ball
Wow...a H/C package will really kill you gas mileage that badly? Some are saying that it will put you in the single digit MPG! Obviously im not buying this car for it's gas mileage...but I'd still like it above 15MPG for a DD!
A ****-poor heads/cam job with too much cam and crappy tuning might hit those low numbers. My heads/cam setup pulls 430 rwhp and I completed the entire Hot Rod Power Tour this year and averaged 30 mpg crusing at 70. My previous car had a 382ci LS1 and still managed 26 mpg. Then I had a 434ci LS1 and it still nailed 24 mpg (and ran 10.6s on motor alone).

Thats the beauty of the LS1, they can be modified to haul *** without sacrificing drivability or gas mileage.

New Cobras are very nice, but their driving position and shifter location are very awkward. I had a '96 Mustang and they still look the same inside. Pontiac interiors are much nicer than Camaro interiors, especially the seats and dash.

BTW, nice log-in name
Old 09-27-2004, 09:37 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

New Cobras are very nice, but their driving position and shifter location are very awkward. I had a '96 Mustang and they still look the same inside. Pontiac interiors are much nicer than Camaro interiors, especially the seats and dash.
I agree Tony. You sit much lower in an fbody and the interior is more comfortable. The gear shifter in a M6 fbody is in the perfect location and it's out in the middle of center field in a Cobra. You can correct that slightly with a MGW shift handle, but it's still in a bad spot. The seats suck *** too.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:38 PM
Teching In

The Cobra is nice but it also already the "old" bodystyle once the 05's come out but they are still way expensive. Also I have the say the Cobra and the base six cylinder model look the same from ten feet away and I find myself always having to search to see what each Mustang is on the street. An SS , say red with black Berger stripes,chrome Z06's will have grandmothers gasping on the side of the street and it'll probably run you 10k less....what decision
Old 09-27-2004, 07:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do a 224 cam, headers, and an electric cutout on the Fbody and you'll beat the Cobra. I know from experience.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by glennhl
Do a 224 cam, headers, and an electric cutout on the Fbody and you'll beat the Cobra. I know from experience.
You'll get your *** waxed with those mods if the Cobra has minor bolt ons. I know from experience.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:23 PM
Launching!

I got my SS as my daily driver. I love it. I'm 6'4" 265lbs, and yes I am very comfortable. I've driven my buddies 91 stang, anothers 97 and had a 00 as a rental car when I was out in cali. I thought they were very uncomfortable, and to be honest rather cheap feeling compared to my SS. Honestly, like everone's saying put the $ you'd save from buying a camaro into your pocket, put some into mods and some into taking all the pretty ladies out to dinner, and you'll be set.