Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused on headers.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 01:58 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused on headers.

I just ordered my headers the other day and I'm reading all these horror stories about them on here after the install. I got the race style headers. I'm going to remove the EGR, which I thought was the pump and all, but now I'm guessing it's just the part in the intake? I'm also going to do away with the AIR system. What about the o2 sensors? Will I still have them? I'm going with a TD setup dumping before the axle. I'm just confused and don't know wtf I'm doing.

So, when I remove EGR is it just the little peice in the intake? I leave everything else on the car?

I have no idea about removing AIR.....

What about my o2 sensors? Will they still be on my car? Do I need to buy anything special for them?

Thanks.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:02 PM
11 Second Club

what brand of headers?, take all of the EGR off and get block off plates or a LS6 intake manifold, take off all of th AIR (piping and pump) and get block off plates for that too, O2 sensors, keep the ones before the cats (so the computer sends the correct A/F ratio), and get O2 sims for the rear senors, and i personally wouldnt put any cats back on it
Old 09-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Staging Lane

I just found a "how to" on AIR. So just remove it all. I got LT Race Ready Pacesetters. I'm going to go with a TD setup, no cats. That's why I was wondering how I'll get the o2 sensors in them? Will they have to be welded in?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Launching!

There will be a 'bung' near the collector on the headers that will already be threaded for your (front) o2's. You'll need extensions also for the wires to reach the new position of the sensors.
Old 09-30-2004, 02:11 PM
11 Second Club

well i dont know about race ready headers, and i think ive heard its a bad idea to dump before the axle. but i THINK u still need o2 sensors (im unsure about that tho), and if u do, SLP sells a little thing for mounting o2 sensors
Old 09-30-2004, 02:12 PM
Staging Lane

And that'll be it? I just need to buy some extensions? I've read about cars idling rough, running really rich, not running at all, etc...after header install. It's just got me nervous. So I'll only have two sensors. One in each header?

Bad idea to dump before the axle? I know it'll be loud as hell, but I didn't know it was a bad idea? Any feedback?
Old 09-30-2004, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you have 2 o2 sensors, 2 o2 sims(you need to buy), you will run fat after install, however how much varys car to car. this can be over come with a tune,or maf translator. your car will run , and idle, if it is pig rich it may be alittle choppy, it will be MUCH louder, there is nothing wronge with b4 axel dumps (though there will be more cabin noise,but no more then your cutout) if the car does not have the gain in hp you expected then its a good chance that you are pig rich and need a tune, if it amazes you then you are fine.

is that about it?
be sure you read all the info in jrp's super faq sticky related to your install. and if you still have more questions then repost...
Old 09-30-2004, 03:18 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks, I found an install site on jrp's page. Great information you guys have. One more thing though, I'm planning on using LS1edit to delete all these unneeded codes, so that means that I won't need the rear o2 sensors correct? All they're there for is to make sure that the cats are working properly, right?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

i believe you are correct there, if you plan on buy ls1 edit, i will defer this to an edit expert...(your question might get answered quiker on the externals section)
Old 09-30-2004, 07:54 PM
That's what she said...

the upper o2 sensors are crucial. they make your system a "closed loop" buy feeding info back to the computer to make changes in fueling/spark.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:48 PM
Launching!

If you are removing any emissions stuff like AIR or EGR you are gonna throw a code and O2 sims won't fix that. So you don't bother with the SIMS if you are going that route. You will have to program the codes out if you dont want the SES light.