New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Take it to the track guy's!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Down here at Ft. Hood we never seem to get past 20 day until someone dies of an accedent. Just this last month I don't think we've made it past 5 days. People really need to think before they act.
Old 10-03-2004, 12:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
most races im involved in shut down by 70.

i HATE it when people talk about how badass their cars are because they cant hook up untill 3rd gear lol. that kind of **** gets people in trouble quick. if you loose traction off the line, its not soo bad, but when you 1-2 shift and it gets too sideways to controll, you need to invest in somthing other than horsepower.
thus why i have a bolt-on car with a built 9 inch, full suspension, and stickies..... outruns most cammed ls1's around here because of that simple little fact.... I CAN HOOK IT
Old 10-03-2004, 01:49 AM
That's what she said...

thats why my 400ex has about 4500 in suspension and only about 600 in the motor. it is 50 inches wide with 12 inches of suspension travel. it will throw you off LONG before it flips over. you can slam it into the corners as hard as you can hang onto it.
Old 10-03-2004, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sad but true. I am a former street racer my self. Now when i want to race i go to the track in a controlled enviroment. I have been through it all including a wind shield at 75mph. People please save it for the track its not worth it.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:56 PM
Teching In

The problem with racing on the track for alot of ppl especially younger guys with fast cars is they just put every cent they have to make there car fast and now they cant run at a track untill they buy a helmet and a NHRA legal rollbar/cage. they probly dont have another $1500 for a cage.

Im in a situation very much like this. I still need to buy alot of other stuff before if buy a cage so I cant really go to the track unless I run half ***. I try to stay smart and not race on the streets but if some one tries to race im not gonna just sit there = )

I wont do anything stupid though either. If I get sidways off the line or anyhting I let off. and I dont go any stupid speeds. I will probly never hit my top speed, not something Id want to do really. so dont ask. IMO going 190 MPH is stupid not cool to do cause you can.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:11 PM
That's what she said...

same here, i care nothing about going 162 mph, if i cant hit it in 1/4 mile, its too fast for me.
Old 10-05-2004, 08:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

This just goes to show you how small this world is. Turns out the only survivor in the SS is the son of one of my co-workers.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 01blownLS1
The problem with racing on the track for alot of ppl especially younger guys with fast cars is they just put every cent they have to make there car fast and now they cant run at a track untill they buy a helmet and a NHRA legal rollbar/cage. they probly dont have another $1500 for a cage.

Im in a situation very much like this. I still need to buy alot of other stuff before if buy a cage so I cant really go to the track unless I run half ***. I try to stay smart and not race on the streets but if some one tries to race im not gonna just sit there = )

I wont do anything stupid though either. If I get sidways off the line or anyhting I let off. and I dont go any stupid speeds. I will probly never hit my top speed, not something Id want to do really. so dont ask. IMO going 190 MPH is stupid not cool to do cause you can.
If you can't afford safety devices then you'll be screwed when your tranny goes, or rearend, or torque converter, or engine, or whatever else you may break when racing with 400+ RWHP. You gotta pay to play and that's why most daily drivers don't go beyond bolt-ons. So bolt-on guys will be in the 12's and only need helmet and DSL which is only a $200 investment (less if you buy used).

I'm sorry but if a guy can afford a 2-3K head/cam setup, 2K in bolt-ons and a 1K nitrous setup then he should be able to afford a roll bar, racing seat, fire jacket or whatever else he needs to stay NHRA/IHRA legal. Plus you should always have some cash set aside for things like new trannys, rebuilding motors, refreshing trannys, clutches, ect.

Racing on the street is stupid. Young kids try to justify it but the fact remains that it's illegal and dangerous. Some of my favorite reasonings are:

"I'm a great driver and know what I am doing."

"I only race on safe roads."

"I only race late at night when there is little traffic."

"I only race stop-light to stop-light so I never get past 60 mph."

"There isn't a track close enough so I have to race on the street."

There are too many more to list them all. My heart goes out to the families of the deceased. I wonder if any of the drivers involved in that crash used any of the above excuses before. Just remember that when all you safe streetracers are doing your thing that killing yourself is not the worst thing that can happen. You could accidentally kill a pedestrian and have to live with that for the rest of your life. It happened not long ago in Michigan where a mustang lost control during a race, jumped the curb and killed a woman walking home from work.

/lecture off

Sorry but I have three kids and I fear for thier lives because we have street racers that race close to my house. And these street death stories always make me a bit sad.
Old 10-06-2004, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 01blownLS1

152 from jegs for the cage.... 200 for install

helmet- got mine for 58 shipped on ebay.... snell 2000 approved
Old 10-07-2004, 12:59 AM
TECH Regular

blah blah blah, Whats a 19 year old doing with an SS and putting a car full of kids in a danger zone, I say its natural selection. Everyone with a brain that drives any kind of fast knows the limits of their car in any given situation- Most of us shut down at a reasonable speed, others dont care and have a full roll cage and wouldnt mind puttin it in the wall- Lets just hope that They dont get to keep inacting laws cause people are stupid.

Edit: Its not the kids fault and thats all to bad, but if the driver dies, so be it-
Old 10-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cyphur_traq
its a good thing texas has long open highways. very few trees down here. still see some mangled cars from time to time tho its always unfortunate when people decide to lay the pedal to the floor in the wrong place, at the wrong time. especially when the worst possible outcome occurs. i feel bad for the passangers of that car, yes it was their choice to get into that car, but the sense of helplessness has got to suck for those last few seconds of life..... i know its bad enough when i'm going 120+ racing and my car butterflys a little, it makes me glad i've experienced wrecks before and that i can react instead of panicking. my parents would hunt me down in hell and beat my *** if i died racing.......
Thats what I thought too, but I somehow managed to find a tree in my mustang