Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

over 130mph....

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2004, 12:17 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default over 130mph....

I saw a thread about top speed limiters...so i had to find out if my 98Z was limited... seems the previous owner did me a favor and deleted this holdback. Now when i get up to 120-130 my rpms kick back down and it feels like a whole 'nother gear ??? it's a a4 w/od but overdrive would or should have kicked in way before that right...just curious...thanks for the input
Old 10-14-2004, 12:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Well, I go through the traps in 3rd @ a little over 100mph, with some RPMs left (2.73 rear end), so maybe its 4th?
Old 10-14-2004, 12:37 AM
Launching!

i dont know usually when i get it up to that speed i have been pushing the pedal from about 80mph i'd think it would be in it's top gear by then...and i understand it would kick down but its just weird...good weird
Old 10-14-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Stock WOT 3-4 shiftpoint for 3.23s is 125MPH
and that same point is used for upshift anywhere
above 65% TPS.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
I saw a thread about top speed limiters...so i had to find out if my 98Z was limited... seems the previous owner did me a favor and deleted this holdback. Now when i get up to 120-130 my rpms kick back down and it feels like a whole 'nother gear ??? it's a a4 w/od but overdrive would or should have kicked in way before that right...just curious...thanks for the input
You definately shifted into 4th (OD) but that is when your supposed to with your gears. When I go WOT from a dig I hit 2nd gear around 40 mph, 3rd gear around 80 mph and 4th around 125-130 mph. You can run 4th gear all the way to the speed governor of 162 if you wanted but I highly recommend against it as it's a felony in most (if not all) states

FYI, GM set 90% of LS1 cars at a 162 mph speed governor so odds are yours was never set lower then that. The ones that were set low were set to 117 mph and that was because the original owner did not opt for Z rated tires. I would be careful in the future because going into OD at WOT is hard on your transmission. The 4L60E is not very forgiving or so I am told.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeh mine dun got a revlimiter..this weekend i took her to 155..so i doubt..the revlimiter ws ne higher...i dunno how fast i was goin..i hit 155...and it couldn't go past that.
Old 10-14-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't think any of our cars came with speed limiters. I know I don't have one, only a rev limiter.
Edit: guess they do, mine's deleted then...search button

Last edited by skippytheloon; 10-14-2004 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would like to see how fast my car is, get a print out for bragging rights at the shows. I hear there is an abandoned highway in Texas for anyone wanting to see what there car will do, so long as you meet the safety requirements.

any thoughts on how fast it might run?

the car is Procharged with a P1SC-1 and should be pushing aprox. 9# when dialed in. the rear is stock with 323 gears and a stage 4 Extreme built trans,
Jet hot Lts and off road pipe.

The car is at Extreme performance locally getting the SDCE 8 rib spring tensioned set up installed along with a dyno tune. I know these cars arent the best when it comes to aero dynamics. I am guessing around 480/500 HP when dialed in?

Last edited by Jeremiah; 07-04-2008 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-14-2004, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Jeremiah
I would like to see how fast my car is, get a print out for bragging rights at the shows. I hear there is an abandoned highway in Texas for anyone wanting to see what there car will do, so long as you meet the safety requirements.

any thoughts on how fast it might run?

the car is Procharged with a P1SC-1 and should be pushing aprox. 9# when dialed in. the rear is stock with 323 gears and a stage 4 Extreme built trans,
Jet hot Lts and off road pipe.

The car is at Extreme performance locally getting the SDCE 8 rib spring tensioned set up installed along with a dyno tune. I know these cars arent the best when it comes to aero dynamics. I am guessing around 480/500 HP when dialed in?
Your car will be FAST

What your talking about is the "Texas Mile" which is actually an abandoned runway in Goliad Industrial Air Park, Texas. You pay a certain amount, and you can run an unlimited amount of times in the two-day period. The runway is a total of 1 1/2 miles long, and you accelerate for the first mile, and slow down the last 1/2 mile. On scheduled events, you enter into either a class or a speed group. In the classes, you choose from either Japanese import, European import, domestic, and vintage. In this group you just try to go as fast as you can in your class. In the speed group, you choose 120, 130, 140, 150, 160, 170 or unlimited, and you compete with other drivers to see who can get closest to the set speed. Closest to the set speed wins.

The only requirements are safety requirements, such as:

-Fire extinguisher
-Helmet
-Seat belts (at least OEM)
-Non-synthetic clothing
-Roll-bar if convertable
-Z, W, or Y rated tires

Have fun, be safe, and let us know what you run if you end up going!
Old 10-14-2004, 11:28 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
When my car was stock I noticed the "shift" feeling at around 130. Would this possibly be the converter locking up in OD, explaining the drop in rpms? Or is it just shifting into OD at that time. I know with my current mods that I have had it to 140 in 3rd easily, and while dyno tuning it 150@6800rpms in 3rd, FWIW.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
When my car was stock I noticed the "shift" feeling at around 130. Would this possibly be the converter locking up in OD, explaining the drop in rpms? Or is it just shifting into OD at that time. I know with my current mods that I have had it to 140 in 3rd easily, and while dyno tuning it 150@6800rpms in 3rd, FWIW.
stock 3.23 geared F-bodies shift to fourth somewhere around 125-130 mph. That was not converter lockup, you simply ran out of gear in third.