Sponsored by:

MTI Lid

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 03:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MTI Lid

Just installed this today.

I was a bit of a bitch seperating the MAF from my old lid, and I had to cut down my smooth bellow to get everything to fit but damn does the clear lid look HOT.

The car also seems to have a deeper, meaner sound to it. It definitely pulls harder. Man this is a nice upgrade.

I also managed to break my IAF, but in the end this was a blessing in disguise. I went to AutoZOne to buy a replacement IAF, and I got the IAF made by Wells. THe cool thing about this part is that part of it is made of metal and has a goldish kinda tint to it. It basically looks better than the plastic lookin piece of crap GM put in the first. And since its a clear lid, the metallic IAF looks GREAT!!!!

Gotta love this lid!
Old 10-07-2004, 06:44 AM
11 Second Club

i got an SLP lid, but i broke that sensor too, and went to autozone and got that same gold one, my lids not clear, but i agree, that gold sensor looks so much better
Old 10-07-2004, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the TSP clear lid, i didnt break my sensor during the install but maybe ill replace it with the gold one just for fun.

Oh, and the lid has been one of my favoriat mods as well. i just wish i had an accel cool blue filter instead of my K&N. anyone want to trade?
Old 10-07-2004, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My MTI wouldnt fit, we tried everything. I must have gotten one of the bad ones. I was pretty disappointed
Old 10-07-2004, 11:59 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2w0s060
My MTI wouldnt fit, we tried everything. I must have gotten one of the bad ones. I was pretty disappointed
Well I wont lie...it was a bitch to try to get the lid to actually go in, even when it wasnt attached to the MAF..took some time and a couple of scrapes to get it in, but I eventually got it to fit.

Did u ever try to get MTI to replace the lid?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 69_YENKO
I have the TSP clear lid, i didnt break my sensor during the install but maybe ill replace it with the gold one just for fun.

Oh, and the lid has been one of my favoriat mods as well. i just wish i had an accel cool blue filter instead of my K&N. anyone want to trade?
Its only $10 for the sensor at AutoZone, and it is pretty cool looking. I have the plain ol white paper filter and even that looks good!
Old 10-07-2004, 01:37 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my first MTI clear lid was hard as hell to get in and ended up breaking off the passenger side mounting tabs. they sent me a new one and i found the fitment problem. the black plastic below where the neck on it goes into the MAF was touching and not letting the tabs to go in correctly. i took a cut-off wheel to it and cut a square from the plastic so it doesnt hit, it fits really nice now. i also put some weather stripping foam around the lid/filter mating surface so it seals really well. ive swapped my IAT sensor like 4 times w/ no issues at all, just put plenty-o-lube on it lol.
Old 10-07-2004, 01:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
my first MTI clear lid was hard as hell to get in and ended up breaking off the passenger side mounting tabs. they sent me a new one and i found the fitment problem. the black plastic below where the neck on it goes into the MAF was touching and not letting the tabs to go in correctly. i took a cut-off wheel to it and cut a square from the plastic so it doesnt hit, it fits really nice now.
That was my EXACT problem yesterday, I just didnt know what I could and couldnt cut, thanks for the tip. I know I will have to take the lid off and on a few more times in the near future.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:27 PM
Launching!

I had a hard time getting the tabs to fit. Then I tried some vaseline on them and it worked.
Old 10-07-2004, 11:56 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that constant stress on the tabs will eventually cause them to break off. i would do somthing about it before it happens. the MTI guys were great about replacing my lid.
Old 10-09-2004, 01:33 AM
Launching!

hey hitmeoff, im in anaheim, we should go burn some ricers
Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
that constant stress on the tabs will eventually cause them to break off. i would do somthing about it before it happens. the MTI guys were great about replacing my lid.
I took care of it. Bought a dremel tool, and decided to do the FRA yesterday. So while I was at it, I cut away part of that black plastic below the neck of the lid.

Fits fine now, no problems sliding it in
Old 10-09-2004, 02:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98 camaro
hey hitmeoff, im in anaheim, we should go burn some ricers
Absolutely bro..anytime!

And maybe you can help me change my plugs as well