New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on a high mile 1998 LS1

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2004 | 03:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
If he pays cash for the car he want need collision just liability. Liability is the same price no matter what car you drive.

Uhhhhh is it?
Old 10-24-2004 | 05:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
If he pays cash for the car he want need collision just liability. Liability is the same price no matter what car you drive.
I'm not sure exactly what you are saying, but my insurance companies told me tey wouldn't let me have the minimum state requirements because if I was in an at-fault accident I could be sued for a great deal.
Old 10-24-2004 | 10:29 PM
Staging Lane

My opinion is it probably going to be the luck of the draw, it could run great and not give you any problems, but that is not likely. If you buy it don't be suprised if you have to fix other things besides the motor like the fuel pump etc. If you are prepared for things to go out on you then get the car, offer the guy $5500 and see what happens!
Old 10-25-2004 | 02:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jrp
buy it and do a rebuild or forged shortblock. FWIW my 98 motor @ 96k.
my thoughts exactly
Old 10-25-2004 | 07:24 PM
12 Second Club

Get it bro
Old 10-25-2004 | 07:42 PM
Teching In

A few years ago I bought a 98 formula with 103K, and it used about 1/2 quart between oil changes and ran AWESOME.
Old 10-25-2004 | 08:30 PM
12 Second Club

I'm 22, in the military, and have a completely clear record. On top of that I don't even have my own policy, my 45 year old step-dad (also with a completely clear record) opened a new policy in his name that he keeps me on and I still pay 225 per month.

Of course, that's also in the NY area... I imagine it'll go down a bit when I move back south in June.

My advice on the car is to wait. Don't wait for years, but wait until you can find an 00+ at a good price. It'll more than likely be lower milage than that, and you'll have cool benefits from the factory that the '98 doesn't (which will help the modding bug, but not for long ). If you've got 6.5K cash, good deal. Use it as a down payment on something newer (like someone else suggested). I'd also suggest (from experience) that you stay away from an older car (the 60's muscle you mentioned) as your first because it'll end up nickle and diming you out of more than you'll be ready for, JMHA.
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by zamboxl
well aas far as a decent price check out ebay but don't expect ot get top quality there thou. As far as forged internals, when i rebuild my engine like 10 month ago i couldn't find jack i check the sponsors, check chevy hignperformance racing, nothing the only place i found internal componets for the ls1 was at gm dealerships and that was the same stock junk i was tying to replace. so i just put the same old stuff back in i was dissapointed but i wasn't going to pay $800 some dollars for stock pistons, plus the rods. Now iam seeing a few more things so if you do that now you should be able to find the stuff just don't expect them to be readilly abailable ( unless you building a stroker) or to cheap either.
HEY A COMPANY CALLED EAGLE RODS MAKES A ROTATING ASSM. PISTONS ARE MADE BY JE.
Old 11-21-2004 | 12:40 AM
Teching In

im 20 with 2 speeding tickets and a wrong way on a 1-way... they wanted 2,900 for 6months for full coversage on my TA but since its mine i only put PLPD on it and i still pay like 550 for 6 months
Old 11-21-2004 | 07:44 AM
TECH Resident

WOW THIS IS INSANE!! must be really hard to live in UP STATES.... im 21 male with one and half page of record. speeding ticket, stop sign and etc... and i only pay $400 six month.. FULL COVERAGE and car is paid off!! FARMERS INSURANCE IN TX..
Old 11-21-2004 | 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by TX_SS
WOW THIS IS INSANE!! must be really hard to live in UP STATES.... im 21 male with one and half page of record. speeding ticket, stop sign and etc... and i only pay $400 six month.. FULL COVERAGE and car is paid off!! FARMERS INSURANCE IN TX..
HELL YEAH FARMERS INSURANCE IS GREAT! EVEN IN THE UPSTATES IM PAYING ABOUT 7-800 FOR 6 MONTHS WITH NO RECORD AND IM STILL WORKING OUT ALL THE DISCOUNTS

now on the car issue...i have a question for all you guys...what exactly is the biggest problem to the high mileage motor?...is it just buildup of stuff (like oils and such in the block maybe? if its taken care of right) or is it like friction fomr mayb the pistons and stuff...or whatever? is it something that stuff engine cleaner...or whatever it is thatll just make it like new...or that a good shop can take it out take it apart...and just clean it all out woulfd fix?

if any of those things can be done to help the problem then id say go for it. If not then either keep on looking, or get it and do some building...mayb just replace it with a newer LS1 motor or atleast one with fewer miles on EBAY then drop that in then the wear and tear is nnon existent...Forgd internals in most cases are used for serious racing my friend no need to have that much more power at 16 especially if its your 1st car or a daily driver
JMO

-Adam

Quick Reply: Opinions on a high mile 1998 LS1