manual
56.06%
Voters: 289. You may not vote on this poll

Which one is better (auto vs. manual)?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:53 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes read JRP's FAQ, ive read it, has some good info in there, least you could do for the guy spending all the time to make it.

As his faq says, both can be made very fast, just choose your preference.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jimmyblue
Perfect driver? M6.

But an automatic never blows a shift or makes you
put down your Slurpee cup when something comes
up unexpected or you just get a little too excited.

A well tuned transmission (PCM) and a properly
selected torque converter make for a totally different
driving experience, than the stock A4 F-body.

If only the A4 were a double-overdrive A5....
This summed it up right here. Very good advice

A4 = Dragster / consistant times
M6 = Street / racing from a roll

I have an stalled auto, and I wouldnt trade it for a M6
Old 11-01-2004, 11:26 AM
Launching!

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
i think you feel like your part of the action with an m6, plus any drunk 1-eyed, cracked out monkey can just hold the gas down on the floor
This reminds me of another consideration. Not all car thieves can drive a car with a manual transmission...
Old 11-01-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by David 2002 WS6
This reminds me of another consideration. Not all car thieves can drive a car with a manual transmission...

.........definately something to consider!
Old 11-04-2004, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Question Automatic or Manual...??

Hey guys,

Well I think I found the perfect WS6 for me and my fiance, but it's auto... which has been an ongoing issue with me and her. We both like the automatic because then we don't have to worry about a clutch and screwing the tranny and such and we both can drive the car then, but I kinda want it to be a manual because it's a sports car, it SHOULD have a manual tranny, I've never really driven manual transmissions but when I was test driving the SRT-4 I was pretty good at it. My main concerns with an automatic is that it's not going to be fast enough, I don't want someone coming up to race me ( like an SRT-4 ) and getting spanked because I have an auto... plus I wanna be able to do nice burnouts. I would appreciate opinions from both sides ( people who have auto's and manuals ), I WILL be doing mods to it eventually but not right away.

Thanks in advance guys!
Felix
Old 11-04-2004, 09:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

search button. besides that people who say auto's are for *****'s are arrogant or stupid (probably both). the fastests cars are NOT M6s! Auto's are amazing because you get consistancy. The difference between 2 auto runs will probably be a matter of hundreths, with an M6 it can be tenths. Don't have to worry about a miss shift in an auto either. Just get a converter and gears in your WS6 and you will stop worrying about not having a manual. Oh and all this is coming from a guy with an M6 car.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, it's really a thing of preference. I always drove autos before I got my WS6. I wanted a 6-speed for sure and would not settle for an A4. I just wanted to have fun rowing through the gears. You won't have to worry about an A4 being slower than a manual. Maybe stock it will trap lower in the 1/4 and from a roll you might have a slight disadvantage but all you need to cure that is a torque converter. A4's can lauch HARD after an after market torque converter is installed! The most important thing is that you get what will make you happy. A4 or M6, you'll have plenty of fun with the car.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

A4's are quicker and more consistant. I have driven a dozen LS1's of either tranny choice, and i prefer the auto's.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Also, both of my former Trans Ams were A4's. I will not get a 6 speed LSx powered car until i graduate and get a Z06.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here's an auto for you! http://stenodracing.com/M9/852_162.wmv
Old 11-04-2004, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by WS-Sick
Harlan doesn't count!

Have you seen the video of that beast cruising on the street?
Old 11-04-2004, 10:05 PM
On The Tree

Wow... yeah, thats a fun misconception.... people who think that the a4's are slow as hell and want to race you. Lets just say... you wont be disapointed. My brother has an m6 and i have an a4 and he has never beat me in a race to this day. Auto's are no slower than m6's and if you plan on doing any drag racing, you'll definatly want the automatic...especially when you get a stall.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

I love my 6spd. It is more fun in my opinion going through the gears and especially when you have heads cam and sticky tires. I have driven autos but I just dont have any fun with them. Have fun picking and good luck.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wrestled with the same decision before I bought my Z. With the exception of 1, I have only owned manual trans. equipped cars up until my Z. (and thats alot of cars). I've had it now for 7 mos. and I wouldn't think of yanking the auto out for a manual. I love it and I loved it even more when I got that Torque Converter(see sig). It completely changes the driving experience of an auto car. If your really into racing your car on the weekends, it is really hard to beat an A4. One big advantage, aside from the above mentioned consistency, is it is alot easier on our fragile rear ends. However, it does numb the driving experience that a six speed provides if that is you cup of tea. So ultimately, if you dont think you want an auto then dont get it. Maybe test drive one of each & see which you like better. Either way you cant go wrong with an LS1 F-bod.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:22 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks guys, I'll have to look around for a good converter and some good gears ( I know I could use the search button, but any suggestions? ). I was nervous because before I started looking at Firebirds I was going to be getting an SRT-4 and I have 2 videos ( the only two I've seen so far ) of SRT-4's spanking auto's.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:56 PM
TECH Junkie

If the car you are looking at already has 3.23 gears then don't even worry about upgrading, there would be minimal, if any, gain after the converter. The easiest way to tell if you have 3.23's is to look at the sticker inside the divers door, GU2 is 2.73's, GU5 is 3.23's.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Thanks guys, I'll have to look around for a good converter and some good gears ( I know I could use the search button, but any suggestions? ). I was nervous because before I started looking at Firebirds I was going to be getting an SRT-4 and I have 2 videos ( the only two I've seen so far ) of SRT-4's spanking auto's.
The difference between an auto LS1 and M6 is going to be VERY small. A stock SRT-4 is not going to beat a stock A4 LS1... Auto's are much better for drag racing anyway... Don't listen to stupid ricers who say that manuals are sooo much better than autos. These auoto's are strong, and great. If you really like the car, then go for it!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlueSix
Harlan doesn't count!

Have you seen the video of that beast cruising on the street?
YES!
Old 11-05-2004, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

The true WS6 autos came with 3.23 gears so don't even bother upgrading them. The 3.23 gear is an awesome gear to add to a 3000-3500 stall TC and still get decent highway gas mileage. Get the auto to make your Fiance happy or you'll never hear the end of it. Then get a TCI SSF3500 (if you will frequent a track) or a TCI SF3000 (If you won't be going to any tracks) and make yourself happy every time you punch the gas.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2004, 09:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I have an 86 MCSS that would blow the doors off of my buddy's 94 mustang, but if you are just driving around town the 5 speed in his stang was way more fun because it was easier to stay where the engine makes lots of torque. The M6 is more effecient than the A4. I bought my Z-28 a week ago. I bought an M6 because they are not lazy feeling on the street. Autos are much more consistent than the M6, but for just driving around the M6 is more fun. My monte will keep the auto and be a race car, but the Z-28 will be a fast street car and still be fun to drive around town.

Quick Reply: Which one is better (auto vs. manual)?