New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Socal 4th gen Fbody tuning shops/Trans q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2004 | 03:41 PM
Teching In

Default Socal 4th gen Fbody tuning shops/Trans q's

I'm new to the world of LS1 modification, and relatively stumped, after going to several reputable dealerships, including the one I purchased my '98 SS from, none of them could provide me with a name of a decent shop that'll help ya modify an SS, plenty of vette shops around where I live (South Orange County) I'd be much obliged if someone could provide me with the names/phone numbers of a few good shops with decent labor prices in the socal area, besides TTS in compton, as they specialize in primarily in computer tuning, and are completely booked. Basically I'm looking to get my old stock flywheel/clutch changed out with an aftermarket clutch. Dealerships refuse to do it as they can't guarantee the parts or work.

2nd part of the question would be, how difficult is it to swap the clutch yourself? As for mechanical experience I have absolutely no experience with transmissions. I've worked primarily with forced induction on import platforms (3000gt VR4 twin turbo) and other basics, like exhaust system swaps, catbacks, air filters manifolds etc etc. So iif it only takes average mechanical experience, and isn't completely complex, I think I'd be able to pull it off, though I'd like an opinion from someone who has done it before.

Finally, if it isn't terribly difficult to change out the clutch, what is the best way to lift A camaro without buying a hydraulic lift? so far to do all of my exhaust and undercar work I've used those rhino ramps. naturally I understand I'll need a trans Jack or something to support the bell housing when I remove it.

Sorry for the long question(s), and thank you all for your time
Old 10-29-2004 | 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

A lift makes working on these cars a lot easier, come down to Camp Pendleton and use the hobby shop, a lift costs like 4 dollars an hour and they have pretty much anything else you could need. Rent your own tourqe wrench though the dont have the kind that ratchets, all they have is the ones with a needle.
Old 10-29-2004 | 11:43 PM
Teching In

Default Thanks

Wow, I didn't know a place like that existed... Thanks.. and yeah I have all of the necessary tools.
Old 10-29-2004 | 11:52 PM
TECH Regular

Let me know if you need directions or any help getting on base
Old 10-30-2004 | 06:58 AM
Teching In

Yeah, that'd be helpful, last time I went down to pendleton was 11 years ago for an event, Do you need a military ID to get in? Talked to a buddy of mine about it and he said ya probably did. I wasn't aware that they had facilities for Civvies, so directions would be great, and any necessary info.
Old 10-30-2004 | 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Sent you a PM with info

Quick Reply: Socal 4th gen Fbody tuning shops/Trans q's