New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to tell diff between WS6 T/A and WS6 Firebird?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2004, 11:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by blkbird_WS-6
An "Oval BOY" that currently does not have the privlege that I have to "OWN" a LS1 Trans Am has brought it to my attention that the rear wing on all Firebirds (regardless of model), are the same. 1. That MAY BE TRUE!!! I said that I believed that the rear spoiler was a bit taller, I never sad that it was 100% fact. As far as the rest of my info goes...I've done my 2.research on a car that I OWN and that is what I've found.
Hmm...where to start...

Ok bud, my post may have come off as short/curt, but that is only because I was just zipping through threads giving bits HELPFUL information as I go. Sorry I didn't fluff it up for you and I'm sorry that your level of maturity is on par with my 5-year-old, neurotic, ADHD, med-fiend cousin.

What? You think it's ok to patronize a kid that knows more than you about your own damn car?! Oh, and as far as your pathetic little "I OWN..." attacks embedded into your immature post go...I am ACTIVLEY looking to buy the car NOW. You find me the car and I'll buy it. I need to change my sig...

1. WTF?!?!?

2. Oh, where did you do this extensive research? Obviously not here...

www.Hotwheels.com perhaps?

And are you sure you have a Trans Am? It looks like either you're not an enthusiast or have really bad vision. Your "researched" posts/comments vibrantly display your lack of knowledge about the Pontiac you own.

So let me get this straight, you are going to believe a Ford owner about your car over yourself and your own eyes. DO you even have eyes? Because if you do, you have obviously never looked at the rear of your car and noticed that your spoiler/wing is elevated.

Last edited by slammed-am; 11-04-2004 at 02:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2004, 12:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by slammed-am
Hmm...where to start...

Ok bud, my post may have come off as short/curt, but that is only because I was just zipping through threads giving bits HELPFUL information as I go. Sorry I didn't fluff it up for you and I'm sorry that your level of maturity is on par with my 5-year-old, neurotic, ADHD, med-fiend cousin.

What? You think it's ok to patronize a kid that knows more than you about your own damn car?! Oh, and as far as your pathetic little "I OWN..." attacks embedded into your immature post go...I am ACTIVLEY looking to buy the car NOW. You find me the car and I'll buy it. I need to change my sig...

1. WTF?!?!?

2. Oh, where did you do this extensive research? Obviously not here...

www.Hotwheels.com perhaps?

And are you sure you have a Trans Am? It looks like either you're not an enthusiast or have really bad vision. Your "researched" posts/comments vibrantly display your lack of knowledge about the Pontiac you own.

So let me get this straight, you are going to believe a Ford owner about your car over yourself and your own eyes. DO you even have eyes? Because if you do, you have obviously never looked at the rear of your car and noticed that your spoiler/wing is elevated.

2. WTF?!?!?

Old 11-04-2004, 01:11 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by soontobeLS1
Is the WS6 Firebird a lower luxery (stripped down) Trans Am. What about the formula? How can I tell if it's a F-Bird or Trans Am by looking at it?

Thx
A WS6 is an upgrade package for both the Formula Firebird and the Trans Am. It basically includes an upgraded suspension, exhaust, 17" wheels(vs. 16") a Ram Air Hood, and WS-6 badging.

The V6 firebird and the Formula look the same as far as the body goes. The main things to look for are the fog lights are at the corners of the car with the parking lights to the inside and the rear deck spoiler is molded to the hatch. For positive ID, pop the hood. The V6 will say "Firebird" on the doors. The Formula will say "Formula". Both say Firebird on the center piece between the taillights. The Formula will have wider tires...245/50/16 vs. 235/55/16 on the V6. Lots of differences but too many to mention.

Quick ID of a WS6 Formula are the Ram Air hood like I mentioned...raised center "nostrils" with 4 split openings at the front vs. 2 on a regular Formula. The 17" wheels with 275/40/17 tires. And of course the WS6 badging on the rear bumper.
----------

The Trans Am has completely different front and rear bumpers. The Trans Am has the foglights on either side of the front license plate insert with the park lights on the corners in the top of two holes molded into each side of the bumper. The rear bumper is lower to the ground with larger cutouts for the exhaust and an indented line molded into the bumper that frames in the cutouts and the tag area.

The rear spoiler sits up off the deck lid and the filler piece between the taillights says "Trans Am". Their is also side skirting at the bottom of the doors. The doors also say "Trans Am".

The WS6 package adds the same for the Trans Am as it does the Formula.

All 6 speed models (M6) should have 3.42 gears regardless of the performance package. If it's an auto (A4) it will have either 2.73's or 3.23's. All WS6 A4's have the 3.23's. The 2.73 autos are governed to 120mph which CAN be programmed out. To find which one the car has, look on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb. A GU2 code is a 2.73, GU5 is a 3.23, and GU6 is 3.42's.

Old 11-04-2004, 09:54 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VIP1
No.....Its the lowly I4!

Actually there were no I4 F-bodies but there were some I4 Mustangs in the early 1980's (some were even turbos).
The "Iron Duke" 2.5 was available in some early 3rd gens. I actually saw a kid up here at PSU that had a restored one. It was like an 82 or 83 and had glossy poop-brown paint.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 AM
11 Second Club

i was just about to say that the 3rd gen f-bodys had the I4 Iron Duke, and was only rated at 90HP i believe
Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by CRAGER
You can tell mostly by the wing. The Trans Am (WS6's and Firehawks) have a wing that is off the rear deck lid and the Firebird's wing is flush with the rear deck.

Peace,
Craig.
Actually the Firehawk doesn't always have a raised wing, unless it's a Firehawk Trans Am. Otherwise it will be a Firehawk Formula, and will have the low attached spoiler.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:50 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by WEASEL
A WS6 is an upgrade package for both the Formula Firebird and the Trans Am. It basically includes an upgraded suspension, exhaust, 17" wheels(vs. 16") a Ram Air Hood, and WS-6 badging.

The V6 firebird and the Formula look the same as far as the body goes. The main things to look for are the fog lights are at the corners of the car with the parking lights to the inside and the rear deck spoiler is molded to the hatch. For positive ID, pop the hood. The V6 will say "Firebird" on the doors. The Formula will say "Formula". Both say Firebird on the center piece between the taillights. The Formula will have wider tires...245/50/16 vs. 235/55/16 on the V6. Lots of differences but too many to mention.

Quick ID of a WS6 Formula are the Ram Air hood like I mentioned...raised center "nostrils" with 4 split openings at the front vs. 2 on a regular Formula. The 17" wheels with 275/40/17 tires. And of course the WS6 badging on the rear bumper.
----------

The Trans Am has completely different front and rear bumpers. The Trans Am has the foglights on either side of the front license plate insert with the park lights on the corners in the top of two holes molded into each side of the bumper. The rear bumper is lower to the ground with larger cutouts for the exhaust and an indented line molded into the bumper that frames in the cutouts and the tag area.

The rear spoiler sits up off the deck lid and the filler piece between the taillights says "Trans Am". Their is also side skirting at the bottom of the doors. The doors also say "Trans Am".

The WS6 package adds the same for the Trans Am as it does the Formula.

All 6 speed models (M6) should have 3.42 gears regardless of the performance package. If it's an auto (A4) it will have either 2.73's or 3.23's. All WS6 A4's have the 3.23's. The 2.73 autos are governed to 120mph which CAN be programmed out. To find which one the car has, look on the sticker on the driver's side door jamb. A GU2 code is a 2.73, GU5 is a 3.23, and GU6 is 3.42's.

Old 11-04-2004, 10:59 AM
11 Second Club

hrrrmmmmmm....... i'll go with the difference in badging, and the wing.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
The "Iron Duke" 2.5 was available in some early 3rd gens. I actually saw a kid up here at PSU that had a restored one. It was like an 82 or 83 and had glossy poop-brown paint.
I've heard of those WTF was GM smoking back in the day?
Old 11-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
Ok. I stand corrected. I don't remember that, although I do remember the name "Iron Duke".
Old 11-04-2004, 02:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
Actually the Firehawk doesn't always have a raised wing, unless it's a Firehawk Trans Am. Otherwise it will be a Firehawk Formula, and will have the low attached spoiler.
Also there was a special edition firehawk (trans am) offered in 2000 i believe that had a completley different spoiler. Looks kinda wierd.
Old 11-04-2004, 02:49 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Also there was a special edition firehawk (trans am) offered in 2000 i believe that had a completley different spoiler. Looks kinda wierd.
I aluded to it in my post. Its looks like a Formula wing with a LED third brake light that spans the width of the wing. I dont know if was a Firehawk Formula option only or if the Firehawk T/As could get it too.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VIP1
I aluded to it in my post. Its looks like a Formula wing with a LED third brake light that spans the width of the wing. I dont know if was a Firehawk Formula option only or if the Firehawk T/As could get it too.
Yeah, I like the T/A spoiler alot better though. It is really unique.
Old 11-04-2004, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Will someone other than "Slammed-Am" read through these posts and tell me in the information I have posted, what is incorrect? Slammed-am your problem is that you think your a damn know-it-all. I posted some information and even said that I wasn't 100% sure it was correct, maybe thinking that somone else would come along and support what I had said, or could have told me that I was not correct, BUT, in a polite manner. I never would have made any remarks to you if you hadn't have come of the way you did on your post. If I took it the wrong way, than that's my fault. But instead of trying to clear it up and be the MATURE person that you "CLAIM" to be, what do you do?...You go and insult me on my knowledge of cars. Giving "helpful" bits of information does not involve taking a jab at someone for what they put in a post. Your problem is that you're not even in the same league as me, that's as far as anything goes, You=A great big fish in a little bity pond. ME, Well, I'm a whale in a tear drop. That's how me and you stand. Now, I'm going to be the BIG guy here...I'm gonna drop this crap and go on enjoying this post, if you desire to keep taking cheap shots at people than you can do so, BUT I won't waste anymore of my time, (that I could use to be learning more about what I can do to mod my car) playing your little beefin' game. If you really want an LS1 TA, I sincerely hope that you do get one, they truly are awesome cars. But, along the way I hope you learn to respect your fellow LS1 enthusiasts. Peace!!!
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 PM
12 Second Club

Will someone other than "Slammed-Am" read through these posts and tell me in the information I have posted, what is incorrect? Slammed-am your problem is that you think your a damn know-it-all. I posted some information and even said that I wasn't 100% sure it was correct, maybe thinking that somone else would come along and support what I had said, or could have told me that I was not correct, BUT, in a polite manner. I never would have made any remarks to you if you hadn't have come of the way you did on your post. If I took it the wrong way, than that's my fault. But instead of trying to clear it up and be the MATURE person that you "CLAIM" to be, what do you do?...You go and insult me on my knowledge of cars. Giving "helpful" bits of information does not involve taking a jab at someone for what they put in a post. Your problem is that you're not even in the same league as me, that's as far as anything goes, You=A great big fish in a little bity pond. ME, Well, I'm a whale in a tear drop. That's how me and you stand. Now, I'm going to be the BIG guy here...I'm gonna drop this crap and go on enjoying this post, if you desire to keep taking cheap shots at people than you can do so, BUT I won't waste anymore of my time, (that I could use to be learning more about what I can do to mod my car) playing your little beefin' game. If you really want an LS1 TA, I sincerely hope that you do get one, they truly are awesome cars. But, along the way I hope you learn to respect your fellow LS1 enthusiasts. Peace!!!
Base Firebirds and Formulas all have the same wing

all convertible models share the same wing regardless of trim
(don't have a conv't pic)

Trans Ams have a higher spoiler

2001-2002 Firehawk T/A's had the option of an IROC style spoiler.

Old 11-04-2004, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thumbs up

Will someone other than "Slammed-Am" read through these posts and tell me in the information I have posted, what is incorrect?

1. Slammed-am your problem is that you think your a damn know-it-all.

I posted some information and even said that I wasn't 100% sure it was correct, maybe thinking that somone else would come along and support what I had said, or could have told me that I was not correct,

2. BUT, in a polite manner. I never would have made any remarks to you if you hadn't have come of the way you did on your post.

3. If I took it the wrong way, than that's my fault.

4.But instead of trying to clear it up and be the MATURE person that you "CLAIM" to be, what do you do?...You go and insult me on my knowledge of cars. Giving "helpful" bits of information does not involve taking a jab at someone for what they put in a post.

5.Your problem is that you're not even in the same league as me, that's as far as anything goes, You=A great big fish in a little bity pond.

ME, Well, I'm a whale in a tear drop. That's how me and you stand. Now, I'm going to be the BIG guy here...I'm gonna drop this crap and go on enjoying this post,

6.if you desire to keep taking cheap shots at people than you can do so

, BUT I won't waste anymore of my time,

7.(that I could use to be learning more about what I can do to mod my car)

8.playing your little beefin' game.

9. If you really want an LS1 TA, I sincerely hope that you do get one, they truly are awesome cars.

10.But, along the way I hope you learn to respect your fellow LS1 enthusiasts. Peace!!!
1.Innacurate.

2.Again, you mistook my post as insulting. I simply noticed your misinformation/question and added my input. Again, I'm very sorry it appeared as short/curt to you. I was short on time but decided to lend you my input.

3.You did. And it is.

4.Hmmmmm...can we spell HYPOCRITE? You wanna talk about jabs? How about all of your completley unprovoked, arrogant posts "aimed" directly at me? Hmmm...ohhh yeah, maybe you forgot about that. Here, let me quote you:

"An "Oval BOY" that currently does not have the privlege that I have to "OWN" a LS1 Trans Am "

"I've done my research on a car that I OWN and that is what I've found."

5. Me, Immature?...Interesting comparison, though. Especially since you know me so well. Yeah, I may be young, "Mr. Whale", but I'm assuming that is all you know about me. I'm sure you knew I just completed my Eagle Scout at 16. Oh, and I bet you knew about how I Am maintaining a 6.0 GPA on a 6 point scale, go to school in advanced classes part time, and work full time.

6.Wait.....Who is the one taking the cheap shots? You must have lost track.

7.Please do. That time would be well spent. Instead of attacking determined young guys like myself, maybe you could do some RESEARCH.

8.Again, WTF?!?!?

9.Thanks Bud. I'm going to look at Y2K/Red /M6/Ws6 tommorow. Maybe soon I'll OWN one.

10.https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...62#post1888962
Oh, and while your at it, why don't you read most of my other posts.

Last edited by slammed-am; 11-05-2004 at 12:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rookiels1

Is that your T/A? If so, I dig the plate frame. Priceless
Old 11-04-2004, 11:46 PM
12 Second Club

Is that your T/A? If so, I dig the plate frame. Priceless
hehe yes it is... They don't seem too fond of it though lol... Lots of fly bys...

But those who are not rice know they're not and just laugh... Rice is more of an attitude than what ya do to a car. Hell even if it has an ugly *** body kit... if they admit they're slow and just show I don't see it as rice... Just another persons way of doing a show car in his tastes...
Old 11-04-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rookiels1
hehe yes it is... They don't seem too fond of it though lol... Lots of fly bys...

But those who are not rice know they're not and just laugh... Rice is more of an attitude than what ya do to a car. Hell even if it has an ugly *** body kit... if they admit they're slow and just show I don't see it as rice... Just another persons way of doing a show car in his tastes...
Heh, God, I can only imagine. I can picture them getting all pissed off and revving at the mere sight of that thing.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:18 AM
11 Second Club

Apologies=NO PROGRESS! Later.

Quick Reply: How to tell diff between WS6 T/A and WS6 Firebird?