New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New ws6 question

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2004 | 11:29 AM
On The Tree

Default New ws6 question

hey guys i just got an 02 trans am ws6 with low miles and i wanted to do exhaust. Someone told me i cant run duals with an x pipe becaise of something with the car. So i dont know what to get brand wise and what kind....cat back system...slp loudmouth or anythinging else. could anyone help me out with a setup they know worked for them
Old 11-24-2004 | 11:46 AM
Staging Lane

I also own a 2002 WS-6.I am actually looking at the loudmouth exhaust to replace the current setup that i have.I still have the stock manifolds but i did replace the factory muffler with a flowmaster unit.It sounds good but the loudmouth sounds so much better if you don't mind noise inside the car.
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.ls1sounds.com
here is a site with all sorts of different exhuast setups on ls1 engines.
Old 11-24-2004 | 12:18 PM
TECH Resident

i just ordered loudmouth for my T/A...it ssuppose to be here on Saturda..i can't wait...Loudmouth sounds so damn good til u want to put headers on

THEN ITS wa to loud...and raspy...ill keep this system on till i go with some headers and a some TSP True Duals.
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:13 PM
On The Tree

i heard its impossible to put duals on a trans am because thats what i wanted to do originally. and i do want to eventually put headers so i was thinking of getting the hooker competition catback sytem and if you could maybe tell me what kind of mufflers to get with that because the system does not come with them
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:33 PM
TECH Addict

True duals can be done if they are cut off before rear axle or under axle or if they go through Panhard over axle they need to be 2.5 or less for room and if you change the panhard you can get 3.0 through it.

But, check the side panel for sponsors there are 2 that I know of. One is over the rear axle and the other is dumped before the rear axle.
Old 11-24-2004 | 01:40 PM
On The Tree

thanks alot for all of your help....could anyone by any chance if you knew a site send me a link so i can see exactly what i would need to run duals on my 02 trans ws6 how you explained them with the 2.5...i want them off the back though not the side ones...if you could do that that would be great because i just want to know all of what i need for my duals to go on..mufflers?x pipes?a system that has it all in it?
Old 11-25-2004 | 12:25 AM
9 Second Club

www.texas-speed.com
Old 11-25-2004 | 03:20 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by kkkevvvinnn
i heard its impossible to put duals on a trans am because thats what i wanted to do originally.
What? There a tons of people on this board with true duals on their trans am's. Three of my friends around town with F-Bodies all have true duals, and I am getting mine put on next week (over the axel).

Why would it be impossible? Either go to the External Engine Forums or just search true duals.
Old 11-25-2004 | 04:26 AM
11 Second Club

hey guys i just got an 02 trans am ws6 with low miles and i wanted to do exhaust. Someone told me i cant run duals with an x pipe becaise of something with the car. So i dont know what to get brand wise and what kind....cat back system...slp loudmouth or anythinging else. could anyone help me out with a setup they know worked for them

Looks possible to me
Old 11-25-2004 | 10:56 AM
Staging Lane

As a 2k2 WS-6 owner with a SLP Loudmouth, here's my $0.02 worth. Fit and finish of this exhaust was second to none and install was a breeze. I love the sound of the car now and you just can't beat the price for a stainless exhaust. However, I would NOT recommend the loudmouth if:

1) The car is your daily driver. Love the sound but interior noise around 2k RPM would be a bit much to deal with on a daily basis. Since I only drive the car when I want the performance and sound, I love it.

2) If you plan on headers/y pipe in the future. As many others have said, loudmouth sounds awesome with stock setup, it does sound somewhat nasty if you get headers. Might as well get the right exhaust the first time than buy one and have to replace it later.
Old 11-25-2004 | 10:58 AM
On The Tree

thanks for all your help guys!! so what should i get for true duals....an x pipe....and then what else to complete the system...and will i need any custom work or can i do it myself
Old 11-25-2004 | 11:11 AM
Launching!

thanks for all your help guys!! so what should i get for true duals....an x pipe....and then what else to complete the system...and will i need any custom work or can i do it myself
do you want to dump them or go over the axle?
Over axle - headers, universal X-pipe, 2 mufflers, custom exhaust shop, tips
Dump - headers, TSP true dual kit
i dont know why people still insist that true duals are impossible on f-bodies. so many people have them. it makes me want to smack them upside the head.
Old 11-25-2004 | 02:19 PM
On The Tree

is it better to go over the rear axel or is dumping aright? if its cheap to get the custom work done like 150 or 200 id prob do it? im just afraid to try and install the headers and duals myself...i think id be able to though and thank you so much for all of this help i really highly appreciate it and im gonna take your advice and get some hooker or thorley LONG tube headers
Old 11-25-2004 | 02:22 PM
9 Second Club

I don't think many people have used Thorley's before. I hear they are a quality piece, but the fit/finish would be tough to match a hooker/pacesetter setup that has been making them for our cars for a while now.

the only reason to go out the back with the exhaust is just for cosmetic purposes. Unless your emissions call for it, there is nothing wrong with dumping under the car.

Quick Reply: New ws6 question