New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FUEL>?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2004 | 04:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
So you guys think bp, shell, and texaco are bad or just slightly worse? Also what about wal mart gas

I new some places were bad but i thought the larger places should all be good.
well there is no way to tell if a company mixes their fuels. they may not even have anything to do with the mixing fuels, it could be the distributer. wal-mart, dimond shamrock, 711, race track, ect, are all cheap "cow ****" fuels. you get what you pay for, although the big companies like shell could be mixing their fuels to make a profit. i've just heard that Mobil is the most trustworthy. so i will continue using them until they give me a reason not to. shell, texaco, exxon, are still better than those cheap fuels. the big companies sell the fuel that doesnt pass inspection to wal-mart and the other cheap places. just pay the extra money to get premium high quality fuel, your car will thank you. hope this helps.
Old 12-08-2004 | 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like Amoco (which is also BP now) or Sunoco premium. If I'm gonna spray a lot, I might splurge for some 106...
Old 12-08-2004 | 05:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran 87 for the first month I had mine and it sounded like hell. I started running 92 or higher, and the engine ran better with no detonation or pinging, and the milage improved.

Is the couple of extra cents per gallon worth it? Absolutely!! I have an LS6 engine with nearly 400 hp at the rear wheels with headers and no cats, true duals, and on a recent trip I averaged about 27 on the highway cruising at 70 to 80 mph. this includes a few blasts up to 140 mph. In town I average 16-17 now, with 87 octane I was getting just 14 average.

Also, get your car dyno tuned no matter what mods you may or may not have. This is one of the best first mods you can do IMO, providing an optimal base line to work from when modding. My father picked up 29 hp at the wheels in his truck, better response and performance all around on his stock engine with auto trans, just from a dyno tune.

Last edited by Joker; 12-08-2004 at 05:10 PM. Reason: left out a fact
Old 12-09-2004 | 11:21 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiger2o69
So you guys think bp, shell, and texaco are bad or just slightly worse? Also what about wal mart gas

I new some places were bad but i thought the larger places should all be good.
BP and Amoco are now one, the only shell station around to too far and costs more than the mobil thats closer, and we dont have a texaco around here, well ive never seen any around here

i prefer mobil, but if amoco is cheaper ill go there too
Old 12-09-2004 | 11:50 AM
11 Second Club

Pretty much the opposite here. Theres only 2 mobil here and there on the far side of town. However there is a million of the others. I suppose bp is the way I will go from now on.
Old 12-09-2004 | 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

I always run 93, used to use 94 until they stopped selling it here.
Old 12-09-2004 | 04:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
BP and Amoco are now one, the only shell station around to too far and costs more than the mobil thats closer, and we dont have a texaco around here, well ive never seen any around here

i prefer mobil, but if amoco is cheaper ill go there too
Texaco and Shell are the same thing now, around here anyway. All the old Texaco stations have been changed to Shell stations.