Squeeks and rattles from f body

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2004 | 05:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

awesome! i'll be trying this come next oil change

thanks man

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
Hey all:
This is for everyone that has the noise coming from the rear and makes noise when you go over bumps ect and worse when it was cold.

I am a store manager for a Goodyear and I had the same noise on my 2000 Trans-am with 24,000 miles and it drove me up the wall. I had my head mechanic put it on a lift and we looked for it for hours and found it.

I just purchased a 2002 Z-28 with only 14,000 miles and the same noise.

Its a very easy fix. All you need is some tools and white grease and thats it.

Its the rear sway bar bushings. There is two of them. If I remember right its just a few bolts pull them off grease them up with white grease and put them back on and the noise is gone. You may have to do this 1 to 2 times a year.

It works trust me. I can take pictures and e-mail them to you if anyone needs them.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-24-2004 | 05:52 AM
11 Second Club

My car squeeks when I look at it

Originally Posted by 777
and the hatch sucks on the 98's there is a mod that helps with the hatch's release if you are having problems...
The hatch sucks in the 99 and newer models. 98's are fine
Old 12-24-2004 | 05:55 AM
11 Second Club

Hey all:
This is for everyone that has the noise coming from the rear and makes noise when you go over bumps ect and worse when it was cold.

I am a store manager for a Goodyear and I had the same noise on my 2000 Trans-am with 24,000 miles and it drove me up the wall. I had my head mechanic put it on a lift and we looked for it for hours and found it.

Its the rear sway bar bushings. There is two of them. If I remember right its just a few bolts pull them off grease them up with white grease and put them back on and the noise is gone. You may have to do this 1 to 2 times a year.

It works trust me. I can take pictures and e-mail them to you if anyone needs them.

Hope this helps.
He tells the truth

I also just sprayed the bushings and it went away for a week or two, hehe. But take them off and lube em real good.. then stick it back in... oohh.. wrong forum, back to leghumper
Old 12-24-2004 | 07:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

The hatch sucks in the 99 and newer models. 98's are fine
my 98's hatch sucked...it rarely opened and rarely closed without extra persuasion
also you can read this https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....80&postcount=2 i believe i'm right
Old 12-24-2004 | 07:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

for those lazy people out there
9. Rear hatch release was poorly designed and often caused problems releasing mechanism
1999+
12. Rear hatch release was redesigned with stiffer spring that released the hatch better
Old 12-24-2004 | 09:59 AM
LS1Tech Administrator
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by 777
9. Rear hatch release was poorly designed and often caused problems releasing mechanism
1999+
12. Rear hatch release was redesigned with stiffer spring that released the hatch better
Oddly enough, both my '99 and '00 cars had hatch issues (meaning they would not always release without pushing the button many times). I put an extra spring on the latch and it cured the non-releasing issue and also made them pop-up much better.

But my '98 car works far better stock when it comes to releasing. The '98 always releases no problem on the first try, however it just doesn't "pop up" at all they way the '99 and up do, and there's no way I can put a spring on it.
Old 12-24-2004 | 02:40 PM
Staging Lane

My 98 TAs rear hatch squeeks too. Turns out it's the catch in the tailgate is loose and can be wiggled from side to side. Haven't got round to fixing mine yet as it involves removing the trim to get at it. Yeah, I'm lazy....
Old 12-24-2004 | 03:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey all:

Hope this helps.
That makes sense actually. One day when im not too lazy I think i'll go try and do it...
Old 12-24-2004 | 11:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BlackTA98 LS1
Thanks for the info guys. I was worried that the turning squeek would be shock related.... guess its time to slam that bitch

JJ195- I think im gonna try what you did and see if it helps any.
YEAH buddy!
Old 12-25-2004 | 08:24 PM
TECH Resident

my car squeaks like nuts ...but my towns roads are brick alot of them..so i get used to it..its pretty smooth when i get on the highway though no rattles..just on bricks ...which is normal
Old 12-25-2004 | 08:33 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
1999+
www.installuniversity.com has a fix for the hatch release, im thinking about doing it next week, i really dont have a problem right now, but i love it when trunks just fly open on command
Old 12-30-2004 | 09:42 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJ1965
I also had trouble with my back seat sqeaking, I put a couple of layers of electrical tape on the latches and it stopped.
HAHAAHAH Man i was never gonna tell anyone but i Electical taped the crap out of every single plastic in that car, and amazingly it worked, now only my t-top squeek..But they usto squeek alot more but i opened those things up and taped them like crazy as well. If anyone else is gonna try this just make sure you cant see the tape! Tape the plastic in between each other were the over lap-thats were the noise comes from anyways.
Old 12-30-2004 | 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Yea mine squeeked over bumps and stuff, then i had my suspension parts, bushings lubed up no squeeks, but i need some SFC's for my car tho!

Quick Reply: Squeeks and rattles from f body