New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have taken my car to a gm goodwrench for a service engine light!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks!! So am I loosing performace with that cat??
Old 01-11-2005, 09:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well, the front o2 is more important, the rear one is basically just there to tell you if the cat is bad. but i would say yes. the car will gain a little from taking it off, and it will sound better.
Old 01-11-2005, 10:39 PM
TECH Addict

are you asking if you will lose performance by keeping the broken cat?
Old 01-12-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default I got the car back!!

The GM Goodwrench tech told me that cat is fine!! The only problem he said is that the 02 sensor acts up at times! Sometimes it will work properly sometimes it wont he said. So I decided to take the car back home and not do anything but probably change the Sensor only!!
If i am shooting a P0430 code than what sensor should I change on the cat??
I might just get 02 sims to go the cheaper way and avoid any future problems !!
Old 01-12-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

no, it does that when the cat is going bad. it will throw a code, then be fine for a few days, maybe even a week, then come back. shake the cat, and see if you hear anything rattle, if so. bad cat. and you say you might as well go the cheaper way and get o2 sims...thats not the cheaper way. the cheapest way is to have the cat removed and have straight pipe welded in. the code will still be there, but the rear o2 itself cannot hurt performance, a bad cat will.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:47 PM
TECH Resident

that sux
Old 01-12-2005, 07:56 PM
10 Second Club

The O2s can get slow causing a descrepency between the front and back sensor and it will trip a P0420 or P0430. Like 99Formula said, bang on the cat when it's cold and see if it rattles, it could still be bad even if it doesn't rattle. I would replace the front a rear O2s and see what happens, if it comes back go give the tech hell. From my past experiances it seems many GM shops are just daycare for grown men, you're lucky if 2 of them can actually diagnose an OBD-II problem right the first time.

BTW: I got my truck back today from the shop and the new cats made a huge differance as far as power goes. The truck used to lay down in the middle of a gear at WOT then start detonating at higher rpms, all of it is gone now. I asume it was clogged, it did rattle alittle at cold idle though so it might have just broke apart inside.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

They told me they checked everything and that they were positive the CAT was functioning properly and that it was a bad O2 sensor. They asked me if I wanted to replace it and I said no because it would cost me $400.00 for the sensor part and installation.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
They told me they checked everything and that they were positive the CAT was functioning properly and that it was a bad O2 sensor. They asked me if I wanted to replace it and I said no because it would cost me $400.00 for the sensor part and installation.
400??? thats just a kick in the *****. i wouldve said : and asked what theyre smokin ... try swapping the o2's out and see if the code changes. also, where are you located?

off topic: what is this smiley for?
Old 01-13-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I live in the north side of Chicago. The service light has not come on! What I am going to do is wait for the summer to get a headers system from Speed Inc!!
Old 01-13-2005, 07:06 PM
TECH Junkie

whered u get your ceta wheels from?
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ebay of course! Just look out for them. Go to the automotive section!
Old 01-13-2005, 10:30 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 99FormulaM6
off topic: what is this smiley for?
There's an old saying about 'getting on a soapbox' when you have something to complain about (wooden crates soap used to come in, using it as a temporary stage)
Old 01-14-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MetallicBluews6
I got a p0430 service engine light code, catalytic defficincy or damaged, on my 2k2 ws6 about 3 weeks ago it went away by itself for a week than came back three days. Today I decided to take ws6 to the nearest GM Goodwrench dealer in the north side of Chicago, since I took your guys advice that all emission related parts have a longer warranty.
I told the representative that i had hooked it up to a OBD2 scanner four times along with getting two other mechanics to tell me that there was a catalytic defficincy. And I made him aware that I should not be liable for that charges, but GM should.
He told me that if it is that it is a BAD Catalytic Converter GM will pay for everything including the estimate. FREE
Here is the catch, He said that if some way or another something else is causing this defficincy or if it is another part that is damaged I am liable to pay $130.00 for the estimate along with the repairs of the Catalytic Converter and everything that is associated with it.

I ended up leaving the car hoping everything will be O.K.

What do you guys think from your own experience and knowledge???
The only code you had was a po415 not a po430.So stop telling lies on the internet.We are watching you .Thanks your friendly neighborhood dealer.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

WhiteLTone, If he is lying, who cares. Do your buisness, and dont harrass people on this website. If you are indeed a "friendly neighborhood dealer" then you should be above this. In no place was your particular dealership mentioned, and w/o documentation how do we know you aren't the one who is lying. Go sell some cars, or whatever you do, but dont harrass this guy for seeking additional advice from a group people who do not profit from this situation. And $400 for a sensor. If you were really friendly you would have free estimates, and replace something as trivial as a sensor for free. You are probably on the clock right now. That is why our repair bills are so high. Cause the dealerships hire people like you, who spend their days surfing the internet. Do your job!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heck the only reason I showed up at the dealership was because the OBDII scanner told me that it was a P0430 code. My buddy whom is a Master Tech, but works for Volvo, told me that the code was a Catalytic Defficincy. I got two other techs to tell me the same thing. I did my research and found that they were right! I came on this board just for a little advice. I spoke to a GM rep and they told me that emissions parts were still covered under warranty.
I guess it did not work that way when I went to the local dealership. I figured that I was just better off going to my local speed shop spending that amount of money on some headers cat and y pipe and I would atleast see some performance results.
That is al no biggie!
Old 01-15-2005, 03:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am not lying!!
Old 01-15-2005, 05:23 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Is it just me or do everyone else smell a WhiteL troll ?If not , a dealer lurking to void warranties because of mods , niiiiice!
Old 01-15-2005, 06:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by badjuju342
Is it just me or do everyone else smell a WhiteL troll ?If not , a dealer lurking to void warranties because of mods , niiiiice!
Gimme a B
Gimme a A
Gimme a N

What's that spell?
Old 01-15-2005, 07:42 AM
TECH Junkie

well, if it was a p0415 code, and not a p0430...why did you try to sell him a 400 o2 sensor? seeing as p0415 is for the a.i.r. circuit... maybe im missing the connection here, but if i am, someone please correct me. as i do not like to provide misinformation.

Quick Reply: I have taken my car to a gm goodwrench for a service engine light!!