New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How bad is it to activate traction control?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005 | 09:15 PM
TECH Addict

It is helpful in icy conditions, but I've got the module so it's normally off, and have had it installed since about day 2. It has it's uses, but day to day you're better off without it IMO
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:18 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by santino04
Another group of haters thats all it is just like the abs guys which I once was. I guess you guys must not like the ls1 at all since a so called computer is in control of the entire thing, except your driving techniques and tendencies. They must obiviously not know how to drive if the traction control is kicking in all of the time. Its meant to be used as a safe guard not an actual system that keeps you on the road no matter what. You must have really hated cruise control when you found out it actually drives your car when set.

Let's say you're at a stoplight on wet pavement. The light turns green and you press too firmly on the accelerator pedal. There is slick asphalt under your tires and the wheels begin to spin. The traction control system instantaneously kicks in, sensing that the wheels have begun to slip. Within a fraction of a second, this data is fed back to the control unit, which adjusts throttle input and applies braking force to slow the wheels (some older systems also retarded engine spark). The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and a signal should be sent to your brain saying its bad conditions retard slow down.. If you guys are having that much trouble either your system is jacked up or your foot is too heavy. A lot of people also confuse certain systems like stability control, traction control, acceleration slip regulation, its pretty much all the same crap but it all depends on how much the manufacturer wants to dump on the systems, Germans being number #1, oh yeah they also invented too. You think GM is gonna waste money to put a highly advanced traction control unit into a Camaro, highly unlikely since most guys are looking to do burnouts in it anyway, modify it, and so on. Not looking to push any buttons, everyone is entitled to there opinion, likes and dislikes. Thanks
I guess people just need to learn how to use the pedals correctly. I'd say 90% or more people really don't know how to drive. They just stab the throttle and go along for the ride.
Old 01-16-2005 | 11:19 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Racehead
It is helpful in icy conditions...
My car is a daily driver. It makes 500+rwhp off the bottle and I drive it through Michigan winters which means up to 1 foot of snow. Like I said, people need to learn to drive as opposed to letting the computer help you.
Old 01-17-2005 | 12:31 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by unit213
My car is a daily driver. It makes 500+rwhp off the bottle and I drive it through Michigan winters which means up to 1 foot of snow. Like I said, people need to learn to drive as opposed to letting the computer help you.
Sorry but it's not an either or situation. Obviously people need to learn how to drive in poor conditions. There's no system that will compensate for poor driving skills that's a "for sure". I also daily drive my car in snow and icy conditions. In my younger years ( I'm no kid ) I used to do it on my motorcycle Snow itself, as you well know, provides plenty of traction for safe driving. Especially the 1 ft of snow you speak of. That's not what I was speaking of however.

There is a particular set of circumstances under which traction control will do a job for you that you can't do yourself though. Sometimes around here it will rain during the day and freeze at dusk. This black ice condition can at times be so slick that cars that have already come to a complete stop will then start sliding off the road. Or people who get out of their cars will slide away from the car and not even be able to get back to it without crawling In this condition if your driving along at say 20 mph or so and if you get ANY wheel spin at all, because of the crown of the road your car will get sideways. No ifs, ands, or buts. And once it gets even a 2 degree slip angle there is NO control input you can attempt that will "get it back" for you, the crown of the road will simply put you in the ditch. I have found that in this particular situation if you just have maintenance throttle on, the traction control will stop the wheelspin instantly. It happens so quick that you as the driver don't even know that there was any wheel spin except for the traction control light will come on. Believe me it will detect the slight spin that precipitates the slide before any human being can.

There's nothing wrong with using the tractin control as a tool to help you do your job as a driver better. Just don't expect it to save you from yourself
Old 01-17-2005 | 01:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

i liked with my auto ws6 but i hate in my cobra
Old 01-17-2005 | 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

I cant stand the Traction control in my 01 Z28. I'm used to shutting it off as soon as I start the car now and it stays off. Actaully the Tracstion control was ok with my summer tires but for some reason with the snow tires on the car its super sensitive and horribly obtrusive.
Old 01-17-2005 | 10:47 PM
TECH Junkie

mine keeps me from trouble when i get a wild hair sometimes. i don't trust it in the rain, i spun completely around on a turn and i don't think it ever activated. i don't really care about having it.
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:12 PM
Ginger Hater

My friends BMW M roadster, the traction would always be on even when you turned it off. Like you would hit the switch to turn it off, and lose some traction and voila the lights back on......bah
Old 01-17-2005 | 11:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Racehead
It is helpful in icy conditions, but I've got the module so it's normally off, and have had it installed since about day 2. It has it's uses, but day to day you're better off without it IMO
where can i get this so called module? i prefer it to be off. nothing wrong with using it though. when i started driving it saved my *** more times then i can count. im sure i would have crashed without it. but i dont need it anymore.
Old 01-18-2005 | 02:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

I like it. I was originally saved by it as a new F-body owner. Then I began to respect it. Then I got to the point where it was always on simply so I wouldn't have to look at that bright amber light that tells me I'm in dredful danger. Overall I appreciate having it a lot more than I resent it.

To the poster.... "NO" It's not bad for the car.
Old 01-18-2005 | 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

i leave mine on mainly so the lights not on on my dash
Old 01-18-2005 | 01:42 PM
On The Tree

"The wheels are thus prevented from spinning and a signal should be sent to your brain saying its bad conditions retard slow down"

If you can drive, it should not take TCS to tell you this!
I have a daily driver for foul weather, so I have the TCS logic modul installed. I haven't turned TCS on since, and have yet to get stuck spinning my tires in the middle of an intersection cause of too much throttle. Other people may like it... As it's designed from the factory, I can't see it's use actually doing damage to the vehicle.
Old 01-19-2005 | 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Well I drove my SS around in my neighborhood today in the snow for the first time, and when I had the traction control activated it didn't seem liked it stoped wheel spin completley , when it came on I would keep my foot on the gas and the tires would still spin, not a lot, but enough. Seemed to do pretty good in the snow though atleast compared to the mustang I used to have...
Old 01-19-2005 | 08:07 PM
TECH Junkie

well i accidentally got stuck in the snow today. and i must say, virginia drivers might as well not even try and drive anywhere...all the accidents i saw. it took me damn near 2 hours to go 4 blocks to get off base. wtf is that. i did slide a few times, but nothing major i couldnt handle. no need for tcs
Old 01-22-2005 | 10:18 PM
12 Second Club

That's the reason why I don't drive in the snow. Not because I can't handle it but because I don't want someone else to hit me.
Old 01-22-2005 | 10:24 PM
TECH Addict

I don't know how you guys do it. If I even try to give my car gas going up my driveway in the rain (I won't even try snow), I start to go sideways. And I am only talking a little throttle and feathering the clutch. There is no way I would drive my car in the snow.
Old 01-23-2005 | 01:38 PM
Teching In

Is Traction Control in the LT1 Camaros?
Old 01-23-2005 | 05:26 PM
Launching!

So everyone knows how it works, its actually called ASR (Anti Slip Regulation).....paraphased from the shop manual:

"Traction control will not have any affect on the operation of the vehicle until the control module detects one or both rear wheels rotating faster then the front wheels.At this time the electronic brake and traction control module (EBTCM) will request the power train control module to retard the timing. If the EBTCM continues to detect the rear wheels rotating faster then the fronts it will request the ASM to reduce the throttle angle. The last measure taken to control the rear wheel is for the EBTCM to apply the rear brakes, thus reducing torque to the rear wheels. "

"Once the rear wheels begin to rotate at the same speed as the front wheels, the system will return full control to the driver."
Old 01-23-2005 | 05:40 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TX_SS
my WS-6 came with it.... i wanted a silver one..and it had it on there..so anyhow i ALWAYS turn it off when im driving and i think itz worthless
In fact I call it "The useless button"
Old 01-23-2005 | 05:42 PM
TECH Junkie

FWIW, its ASR in camaros...TCS in firebirds...