New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 15,000 Mile Extended Drain Mobil 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 06:24 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since you are talking about M1 I got a question. I use M1 and from my trip from NE to TX and back, I checked the oil level for the hell of it at certain stops then one of the stops I took the filler cap off and the oil was foamed. That scared me but there was no milky **** on the dip stick. I was wondering what could of caused this? I change the oil every 3K and by the oil foaming am I at risk of damaging the eng? I was considering swapping to AMS oil but dont know as of yet.
Old 02-13-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it possible you put in too much oil? The LS1 can handle 1.5 quarts over though, so it might not be that. I'm honestly not sure why it would foam up other than being 2 quarts or more over.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My thinking is that 15,000 mile oil changes doesn't apply to performance cars. You could probably get away with it for the grocery getter though. When you think about it, more Mobil-1 is purchased for regular vehicles than the performance type (there are simply fewer performance cars around), and marketing goes after the numbers. I completely disregard the advertising when it comes to my car. Also, people who would let an oil change go that long are pretty much just trying to save money, so it might be a good option for someone needing to keep driving expenses down, but the performance car driver needs to be more vigilant with oil changes. JMO.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Hey Patman, anyone ever tell you look like that guy from Friends, David Schwimmer?

Old 02-13-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
Hey Patman, anyone ever tell you look like that guy from Friends, David Schwimmer?

Unfortunately, yes.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
My thinking is that 15,000 mile oil changes doesn't apply to performance cars. You could probably get away with it for the grocery getter though. When you think about it, more Mobil-1 is purchased for regular vehicles than the performance type (there are simply fewer performance cars around), and marketing goes after the numbers. I completely disregard the advertising when it comes to my car. Also, people who would let an oil change go that long are pretty much just trying to save money, so it might be a good option for someone needing to keep driving expenses down, but the performance car driver needs to be more vigilant with oil changes. JMO.
With high performance cars it is even more critical to use an oil analysis program in order to determine your best interval. With a well running engine you'd be surprised at how long you can safely go on your oil changes.
Old 02-13-2005, 10:41 AM
TECH Addict

Good point Patman!

I should have said "unless you're having your oil tested."
Old 02-13-2005, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Patman
Unfortunately, yes.
Maybe you could shave your head or something.

Just kidding.

A pleasure checking in.