New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance and payments on my ls1 becoming a lot! Help =)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 04:22 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance and payments on my ls1 becoming a lot! Help =)

I'm 20 years old and still living at home payments of about 240 a month for the T/A and soon to be 200+ on insurance is just becoming too much of a tax for something that sits in my driveway. I usually drive it to school and work but hey looked it rained again today I'm considering selling it and buying a 93-95 formula auto like I've always wanted. I could cage it, cam it, make it a 10-11 second street machine for fun with liability insurance and no payments. Just wondering, becoming hard for a college student to have such a car.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:33 PM
10 Second Club

If you wanted to keep it there's not much you can do besides work you *** off just to make the payments and insurance. Looking for a clean LT1 would probrably be a great idea. It would be alot less stressfull for you.
Old 02-24-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just look for a LT1 for cheap (one with alot of miles maybe not even running). Then put a forged motor in it and all the other stuff
Old 02-24-2005, 07:30 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

$240/month is beautiful. Try $700/month + $200/month for insurance...plus another car, a house, a dog, old student loans, etc, etc, etc.

Sell it if you have to bro. It's just a car. Get yourself in good financial shape and then get the car you're looking for. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2005, 08:37 PM
Staging Lane

Dont feel bad. Im almost 17. I pay $300 a month for the '99 T/A and $1700 every 6 months for insurance. Fortunetly, I drive a beater truck instead, so Im not the primary driver of the bird.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was in the same boat, got a fulltime job while going to school, and paid off the bird.

Pay insurance every 6 months for $1000 and i'm set for a while.

I did have to wait until i turned 21 to afford her though insurance cut in 1/2 from 20 to 21.

Ryan.
Old 02-24-2005, 08:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

I was in the same almost exact situation as you were about a year ago. I worked my *** of with one full time job and another part time job while taking 14hrs at University of Mary Harden Baylor. Now with my income tax return I will soon pay of my car. I hated working that hard while going to school but I had too much in my car to sell it. So......it is possible, if you're willing to work for it.
Old 02-24-2005, 09:01 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by unit213
$240/month is beautiful. Try $700/month + $200/month for insurance...plus another car, a house, a dog, old student loans, etc, etc, etc.

Sell it if you have to bro. It's just a car. Get yourself in good financial shape and then get the car you're looking for. Good luck!
exactly, I pay about $600 for my 03 Hemi Q/C 4x4, and the insurance with my wifes car and my beater is $300. Oh yeah and Im 25.........I would love to have that $240 payment Negative equity is a bizzatch
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM
TECH Addict

It depends on how attractive girls find you. If you need the car to get college chicks, find a way. If not, get a beater and spend the extra cash on getting all the tail you can. It may seem like a sacrifice now, but you'll look back at the notches on your bed post and feel better about it later. Unless you catch a VD...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Another_User
It depends on how attractive girls find you. If you need the car to get college chicks, find a way. If not, get a beater and spend the extra cash on getting all the tail you can. It may seem like a sacrifice now, but you'll look back at the notches on your bed post and feel better about it later. Unless you catch a VD...
Old 02-24-2005, 09:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ws6nick
I was in the same almost exact situation as you were about a year ago. I worked my *** of with one full time job and another part time job while taking 14hrs at University of Mary Harden Baylor. Now with my income tax return I will soon pay of my car. I hated working that hard while going to school but I had too much in my car to sell it. So......it is possible, if you're willing to work for it.
Did you live at home?
Old 02-24-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

No, Although not many bills
Old 02-25-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Another_User

Experience?
Old 02-25-2005, 01:10 AM
TECH Regular

dude I was paying $700/mo for a car loan (short-term loan with small downpayment) and this was bad enough. Then I got into an accident and got some minor tickets. my insurance went up to almost 3.5k/6 month. It began to hurt. Then I lost my job, found lower paying one, lost that (dot com bubble trouble), and went through some really crappy jobs. I stuck through with the car - I wanted a 4th gen camaro ever since I saw one on the street and I was not about to give up. Refi's the loan, bumped down ins. coverage, found another ins. company, borrowed some $$ from family, collected on some debt from friends and went through some other unpleasant financial experiences.
For a year or so it was tough... I had A LOT of pressure from everyone around me to get rid of the camaro for all the "right" reasons. Looking at it now, I say I made the right call. Today my insurance is back to reasonable numbers and I've just sent the check for the remainder of the loan. I got a kickass car, my finances are in order and I know that if I love something I will stick with it no matter what. And that is a good thing to know.

Yeah, people say "it's just a car, not worth the aggravation". I wonder how many of you actually believe that deep down
Old 02-25-2005, 06:22 AM
On The Tree

man I pay 600 car payment 2500 six month insurance. the wife, the mother-in-law and family wants me to get rid of the TA but not way plus i got two young kids 3yrs and 8 months. it's all about how bad do you want it an how much you willing to sacrifice for it.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:41 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Experience?
Except the VD.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your payments are nothing i pay $400 a month for payment ad $200 a month for insurance on my 98 TA but its gettin paid off fast!
Old 02-25-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Regular

Not as bad as some other people have mentioned but...$500/month on the WS6, $523/month on the Firehawk...$160/month insurance on the WS6, $140/month insurance on the Firehawk...plus rent (soon to be mortage), credit cards, school loans, etc etc. I'd love to have a car payment of $240 a month. When I first got the WS6, I was paying ~220/month for insurance, the $500 car payment, paying rent, (living on my own so I didn't have a second income like I do now), credit card bills, college classes, and working my *** off. It wasn't easy...money was tight, but I wanted the car. One thing to take a look at...how much of a loss would you take on selling the car? You might be better off working your butt off and sticking it out if you're going to get less for the car than what you owe, or close to it. Obviously it's your decision to make on how much you want the car..I know for me...I wouldn't give up either car, but there's always other fbodies out there...it's a decision on how bad do you want to keep this particular car...how hard do you want to work to keep it.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Buy a cheap beater, then park the T/A for the winter... I'm paying 10 bucks a month to the ins. company right now for the parked SS and $35 a month for the beater car...= )
Old 02-25-2005, 12:33 PM
TECH Regular

ever think of getting a higher paying job? There is numerous ways of affording a nice car, watch your expenses, get a good paying job, live within your means. I pay 350 for my 01 trans am a month, $250 in insurance. I'm 25 and I have a great job. At my last job I wasn't making enough to cover it all, guess what I did, got a better job.