New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is WOT that bad for your motor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 08:51 AM
Restricted User

Damn , aren't we modest. Just cause you spent all your money on cars doesn't mean noone else was motivated. Im 18 and work my *** off...
That's exactly what I was thinking...when I was that age...sure I made enough money to buy a brand new WS6...but after payments and insurance, i'd never have the money to mod it, or take girls out...or pay for gas.

My cars are not my only toys.
Old 03-04-2005 | 09:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would say that WOT is only bad for your motor if you're constantly holding it at 6000+ rpms. Hell, don't the Nascar guys rebuild their motors after every race?
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Velocity
Saved up some cash for a small downpayment, got GM Option 1 pricing, financed a total of $28,900, got approved for 1.9% on a 5 year buy, and committed to making the $497 payment every month.

It wasn't easy, but I only owe like $5600 left now... and as a 22 year old (almost 23) with a full time job, the payments are no longer any sweat.
why not refy it ??
Old 03-04-2005 | 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lilbuddy1587
why not refy it ??

Why would I do that? $500 a month is nothing to me anymore, and it's almost paid off.
Old 03-04-2005 | 01:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by tcarswell
Damn , aren't we modest. Just cause you spent all your money on cars doesn't mean noone else was motivated. Im 18 and work my *** off...

I'm just trying to back you young guys/girls up that work hard to have something nice to drive, cause I've been there done that. And this is what I get in return, a smartass remark? It wasn't aimed to belittle anyone on here that posted, or to toot my own horn, it's just that I know/knew all kinds of people that are/were like damn, how can you have all that stuff, you gotta be rich or something. And you know what, they got off the BUS everyday or outta their friends ride or whatever and sat on their *** at the house instead of having a job and having something of their own. On another note, some people work but have nothing to show for it, they just spend it on things that don't amount to a hill of ****. It seems like alot of people think it's impossible for a young person to have something nice to drive. You have no idea how many times when I put gas in my truck when I was in highschool, and only put a little in, the guy at the pump would say "going cheap on your daddy ain't ya?" I would reply, no, this is MY truck. I think most people thought my parents paid for it, but i even payed my own insurance. And no, I'm not some young punk going off at the mouth, I'm actually a 23 year old small business owner.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6

I'm just trying to back you young guys/girls up that work hard to have something nice to drive, cause I've been there done that. And this is what I get in return, a smartass remark? It wasn't aimed to belittle anyone on here that posted, or to toot my own horn, it's just that I know/knew all kinds of people that are/were like damn, how can you have all that stuff, you gotta be rich or something. And you know what, they got off the BUS everyday or outta their friends ride or whatever and sat on their *** at the house instead of having a job and having something of their own. On another note, some people work but have nothing to show for it, they just spend it on things that don't amount to a hill of ****. It seems like alot of people think it's impossible for a young person to have something nice to drive. You have no idea how many times when I put gas in my truck when I was in highschool, and only put a little in, the guy at the pump would say "going cheap on your daddy ain't ya?" I would reply, no, this is MY truck. I think most people thought my parents paid for it, but i even payed my own insurance. And no, I'm not some young punk going off at the mouth, I'm actually a 23 year old small business owner.
I hear the "Did mommy and daddy buy that?" a lot. I respond with "NO, this is my car, my loan, my debt. No co-signers." It seems to surprise people. 21 BTW.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:42 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BriancWS6

You are trying to back them up but reply to my simple question with a smartass remark yourself. I never said they didn't work, I was wondering how a 19 year old was able to afford a brand new 02 ws6, no way in hell could I have done it at 19. So please step off my nuts, I've been busting my *** with a job sence I was 15, what do I have to show for it? An extremely nice aparment with tons of cool toys, no car loans, and getting married ( everything already paid for ) in three months, not to mention picking my TA up in a month or two. So please don't drop the mommy and daddy bullshit unless you know what the hell you're talking about.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Oh and yeah that did come off extremely hostile, but imagine how YOU felt when people said the same stuff to you.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do you guys realize that something can be taken different ways? One person takes it as arrogant, another takes it a smart-***, another takes it as informative, etc. Due to this being the internet. Internet=no emotion. So, why get into pissing matches amongst ourselves. Save it for the ricers.
Old 03-04-2005 | 05:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Do you guys realize that something can be taken different ways? One person takes it as arrogant, another takes it a smart-***, another takes it as informative, etc. Due to this being the internet. Internet=no emotion. So, why get into pissing matches amongst ourselves. Save it for the ricers.
Very true, I just get very hostile at people easily... nothing personal ya know?
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:46 PM
Teching In

Wow, didn't know this was gonna get so many responses. Since this turned into a "why buy a sports car if your not going to floor it?" debate, I have always thought that WOT stresses things and shortens the life of your vehicle. I have wanted a Trans Am since I was 8 years old sitting in a '79 TA. I have finally gotten one and want to keep it till I have replaced every part on it 3 times. I also have a 2005 tahoe to pay for. Being in the military, I enjoy and try to spend every dime of my money wisely. I don't want to blow something up out of stupidity. I get enjoyment out of just owning a TA let alone driving it everyday. 80% throttle is plenty of "go" to keep me occupied. I just wanted to know if WOT was ok so that I can try to change the way I look at it. As a matter of fact, since I started the thread I have become addicted to it......rear end hunkers down, front end feels like it is gonna lift off and then just ride it out. Makes me feel like I am riding the R6 again. Quite invigorating. The motor even seems to be running a little smoother now. Too all those who replyed, thanks for the help. Now, I might need to start another thread about how to remove the gas pedal from the floor.........
Old 03-04-2005 | 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mos98c2001
. Now, I might need to start another thread about how to remove the gas pedal from the floor.........
Old 03-04-2005 | 11:11 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
You are trying to back them up but reply to my simple question with a smartass remark yourself. I never said they didn't work, I was wondering how a 19 year old was able to afford a brand new 02 ws6, no way in hell could I have done it at 19. So please step off my nuts, I've been busting my *** with a job sence I was 15, what do I have to show for it? An extremely nice aparment with tons of cool toys, no car loans, and getting married ( everything already paid for ) in three months, not to mention picking my TA up in a month or two. So please don't drop the mommy and daddy bullshit unless you know what the hell you're talking about.
Did I ever say anything to you about mommy and daddy paying for YOUR stuff? I didn't think so. Oh well, I'm too mature to get into an argument over the internet over stupid things like this. Good luck in life to all of you. And to the WOT ???, let er eat!!!! I'm done with this thread.
Old 03-05-2005 | 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

wot all the way too much fun not too
Old 03-05-2005 | 02:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow this thread is going downhill fast. People live different lives, some are given things some not, thats life.

With that being said, I went WOT like 5 times today
Old 03-05-2005 | 03:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I think the beef got settled. (Or should be settled by now)

You can rest assured that the LS1 has proven itself to GM engineers beyond anything you'll ever put it through.

BTW, your throttle plate looks tired, I think it wants to lay down.
Old 03-05-2005 | 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I hope WOT isnt bad LOL. My LS1 revs up around 6k daily in between my tires lighting up through 1st and 2nd gear.
Old 03-05-2005 | 10:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mos98c2001
Hey guys, just wondering about WOT. I have always thought that WOT was something that you didn't do to your car. As a matter of fact, I haven't even taken my TA to WOT yet. Close, maybe 85% but not to the floor. How many of your guys go to WOT all the time? When you are at the strip, to get the times you do, are you hitting WOT for most of the run? I had an R6 and would take it to 15k RPMs at WOT, but it was a bike, small displacement and built to be ridden hard. My TA is my daily driver and don't want to kill it before i fully pay it off. What do you guys think?
Granny driving will kill it faster than going WOT daily.

Quick Reply: Is WOT that bad for your motor?