Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 A4 What the difference

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidFire350
unless you drive an import, according to all those guys ive talked to, the M5 adds 10,000 HP, and an A4 is a 80% reduction in power, im still tring to figure out how a transmission creates power

Yeah the drivetrain loss thingy... I do not too involved in that but it is good to know.

The A4 and M6 question is one of the most asked questions out there and in every thread there is 10% pertinent info and the rest is our own Opinions.

BTW, I am sure you know, for any that do not I was J/K (Just Kidding).

They both have their adavantages and benefits and it boils down to personal opinion. If I was wealthy enough I would have a SLP SS with a M6 sitting next to my Firebird TA WS6 A4.

But, things are more fun when they get stirred up a bit
Old 03-20-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I for one would never buy an M6 if it was my daily driver. Rowing through gears on a daily basis would drive me nuts. My car is a weekend warrior so it works out perfect. I've also never missed a gear in this car (knock on wood).
Old 03-20-2005, 10:31 AM
11 Second Club

A stalled A4.....life is good. Shows the "men" that they are not always on the top of the food chain.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Broken041
A stalled A4.....life is good. Shows the "men" that they are not always on the top of the food chain.
An 11.53 @ 118mph doesn't put you very high up that food chain my friend...stalled A4 or not.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:49 AM
On The Tree

im looking for a WS-6 but im having a hard time finding a 6 speed around my parts. you guys think i would be kicking myself if i ended up gettin an auto?
Old 03-20-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
An 11.53 @ 118mph doesn't put you very high up that food chain my friend...stalled A4 or not.
For his mods it does
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slim 04 SRT-4
im looking for a WS-6 but im having a hard time finding a 6 speed around my parts. you guys think i would be kicking myself if i ended up gettin an auto?
If you like driving your SRT, you will kick yourself if you get an auto, but if 5-speed wasn't really your thing but still want to break the tires loose get an auto and slap a stall on it. It's a never ending debate, get what YOU like more, no matter what anyone else says make sure YOU are going to enjoy it.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:19 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broken041
especially when they brag how fast their m6 is and can't get one pass in without them saying "i would have had you if i didn't miss third".
Old 03-20-2005, 11:20 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slim 04 SRT-4
Well since fbodys are no longer on the production line you have to take what is available and I had a choice of the A4 SS or a new Rustang so I took the A4 SS and have been happy with it. I am sure you will not be dissappointed if you have to get the A4.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
For his mods it does
Not really. I went .06 slower (11.59) and 3mph faster (121) with far less mods.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

if you are gonna build your car i would go a4, if you are gonna stay close to stock i would go m6. m6 = fun !!! i really enjoy shifting my m6 & allways look forward to shifting it!!!! but the a4 is no slouch!!!on a a4 the time is usually quicker(elapsed time) @ the track while the m6 has higher trap speeds(MPH)so i dont think you could make a mistake with what ever you choose a4 or m6!!!!!!!!
Old 03-20-2005, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Ooohhh ooohhh I want to get on the forum and brag about how big my sack is
BTW, It wasn't bragging, maybe you are jealous? It's quite a pain in the *** if you ask me. Complaint = Bragging... yep..
Old 03-20-2005, 09:12 PM
11 Second Club

I know that I am well far from the top of the food chain. Nor will I ever make it close to the top. That's not the point that I intended to make. The point intended was that an A4 is not a slouch incomparison to an M6.

Old 03-20-2005, 11:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
BTW, It wasn't bragging, maybe you are jealous? It's quite a pain in the *** if you ask me. Complaint = Bragging... yep..

Your right im jealous. Im 6 3 ... real small i am
I just dont want to hear about your sack when I get on this forum.
Maybe im the only one that feels this way?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
Your right im jealous. Im 6 3 ... real small i am
I just dont want to hear about your sack when I get on this forum.
Maybe im the only one that feels this way?
Which is why I put -TMI = Too Much Info but it's the truth
And your still smaller than me
Old 03-23-2005, 08:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

A4's are definately not where it's at. I plan on dumping mine within 2 years for a TH400. But if you want to talk top of the food chain around here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php

You'll notice the top 7 are all automatics. Not A4's of course but A2 or A3 is still an automatic none the less. So IMO A2>A3>M6>A4. But I will say this in defense of the few M6's on that list. Most of them can drive themselves to the track where I'm sure most (if not all) the automatics are pulled on a trailer.

P.S. I guess those top seven "boys" need to learn the error of thier ways so they can become "men"
Old 03-23-2005, 11:07 AM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by darrensls1formula
A4's are definately not where it's at. I plan on dumping mine within 2 years for a TH400. But if you want to talk top of the food chain around here....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/etdb.php

You'll notice the top 7 are all automatics. Not A4's of course but A2 or A3 is still an automatic none the less. So IMO A2>A3>M6>A4. But I will say this in defense of the few M6's on that list. Most of them can drive themselves to the track where I'm sure most (if not all) the automatics are pulled on a trailer.

P.S. I guess those top seven "boys" need to learn the error of thier ways so they can become "men"
your arguement is only one dimensional, everyone knows automatics in almost any variant are superior in drag racing.

the manual tranny is more diverse, it can can be fast at the strip, and is superior in road racing and autocross.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by jrp
your arguement is only one dimensional, everyone knows automatics in almost any variant are superior in drag racing.

the manual tranny is more diverse, it can can be fast at the strip, and is superior in road racing and autocross.
That's fine because my argument was only intended to be one dimensional. But I wasn't the one who came here and basically called people names was I? People in thier 30's who are proud of thier cars don't take kindly to anyone calling them a "boy" just because of the transmission they have in thier car. You (being an M6 owner) are superior on a road course and that's fine. You are superior at autocross and that's fine. Hell you are superior on the highway and that's fine too. But Automatics are superior at the drag strip and you can not take that away from us no matter how hard some may try. And when most people look at or think of Camaros and Trans Ams they think of drag racing whether it's stop light to stop light or at a NHRA track.

I'll defend automatics until the day I die and that includes when I have a M6 F-body, Vette or Cobra because I want a fast manual car too. The automatic can rip down the track and the M6 can pull the trailer getting it there

Last edited by darrensls1formula; 03-23-2005 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:32 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=darrensls1formula]I wasn't the one who came here and basically called people names was I? People in thier 30's who are proud of thier cars don't take kindly to anyone calling them a "boy" just because of the transmission they have in thier car. [QUOTE]

Jerami just likes to cause a little friction around here periodically. You'll find his social skills can be lacking but he does know a thing or two about cars once in a while. Don't take it personally.
Old 03-23-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

I didn't take it personally as me and only me. But I did take it as a shot of a group that I am a member of. The A4 F-body group. I used to think that F-body owners were all a brotherhood so to speak but then I became a regular at a few forums and discovered a few things.

LT1 guys tend to hate LS1 guys. M6 guys tend to make fun of A4 guys. And everyone hates domestic rice. Well the third one I happen to agree with

But the other two are just stupid and childish. Manuals are a lot of fun and I definately want one some day. But lets be honest here. Most F-body owners will never see a road course or autocross. But most F-body owners will drag race either at a track or on the street. And I'll put my money on the stalled A4 over the M6 any day and twice on Sunday. Will they always win? No. Will they usually win? yes.

To be honest I was more insulted by unit213's posts then JRP. To even suggest that automatics are inferior to manuals at the drag stip even when using high stall torque converters =

Last edited by darrensls1formula; 03-23-2005 at 01:47 PM.