Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat

Do you need to actually drain the cooling system to replace the thermostat or can you just go at it how it sits? What all will I need for the change? I was possibly looking at getting a coolant flush sometime soon because I think the car has Dexcool in it and I think it is the devil!
Old 03-28-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can just drain enough coolant so that the level is below the thermo's (which is pretty low). That'll make things cleaner. Or it would be a good time to do your flush if you wish.

You need a pan to catch coolant, metric sockets (10mm? I think), short extension, hose clamp pliers (regular pliers will work too), a little bit of grease to help hold the O-ring, water and coolant of your choice, if changing to a different anti-freeze then you need to flush of course.
Old 03-29-2005, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

I would just drain the radiator if I were you. I just installed my new T-Stat and went off of Install University's write up.

http://www.installuniversity.com/ins...sity/index.htm
Old 03-29-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take BlkZ28LS6's advise. I used Install U's t-stat docs to change mine. It may even be a good idea since you're already gonna have it drained to go ahead and flush the system. Doing this will actually slightly increase your cooling efficiency through the radiator. Just make sure that whatever you use is safe for aluminum blocks.
Old 03-29-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The thermostat is too low, you will have to drain the coolant. You can plan on replacing about 2 1/2 gallons.
Old 03-29-2005, 08:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

to flush do u just stick a hose down the neck and let it go?

and do you need a new radiator cap?
Old 03-30-2005, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't do the hose in the hole trick. Go to the local auto store and you will find radiator flush. It is a liquid that you pour into your radiator. After draining the radiator, plug it back up and fill it with the radiator flush and the rest of the way with water (directions are on the back). Run the engine until it gets hot. Let it cool down then drain the fluid. After this is done, change your t-stat and refill the radiator with Dex-Cool. Flushing the system gets rid of any calcium and any other mineral deposits that collect on the interior walls of the cooling system. With the inside clean, heat escapes easier into the air which is the whole purpose of the radiator.