New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to calm the parents?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 01:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im 19 and when I first got my car my mom HATED it. She still does and wont even go for a ride cuz its too loud she sais lol, but whatever. Just becareful with it and don't do anything stupid. Show them that you can be responsible by driving it and maybe it will grow on them. Good luck with it.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only time i hadtrouble driveing my camaro was when it snowed and the roads iced which is really rare in SC but good luck keeping it. Reguardless of what most people thing Fbodies are god daily drivers and are fine in the rain.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

im gonna let you in on ah little secret.your parents were your age once, there is no convincing them.besides they already bought it for you theyre not going to take it away.they are just trying to scare you into driving safe.thats exactly what ill do when my kids get old enough to drive!
Old 03-31-2005, 07:06 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

What are these cars...made of? I just picked the car back up from my uncle's house - he was replacing a window motor, and at least the doors are definitely not metal, so what all 'is' metal on the car? Or did I just end up with one that's been modified by a past owner in some way? Cuz as far as I could see, there was just one metal beam through the door, and that was it. I'd imagine that in a side-crash I would end up pasted across the inside of the passanger door
Well unforunaltly that sort of thing happend to me last weekend. A ford ranger hit me on the passanger side at about 15mph. First off the doors and the hatch are fiberglass, the fenders and bumpers are plastic and the hood and roof bar are metal. yes there is a bar that runs through the door and one that runs through the fender. My door shell and my fender are broken to **** but the metal bar is still bolted in and looks ok. plus when he it me my car slid about a foot sideways. F bodies may look and feel cheap but they are built very strong. just think this; the frame has to be strong to harness 300+ hp and 325ft-lbs of torque on a daily basis.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

The fbod if drivin responsibly is one of the safest, most reliable, longest lasting, most fun cars ive ever had the pleasure of driving. Not to mention its easier to regain control if lost than a fwd econobox, and 30mpg on the freeway is hard to beat.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Resident

I got my SS at 17. No tickets, no wrecks etc. My mom always wanted me to have the car but at first my Step-father was worried. Now he is very happy that I have my SS.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

Man, My parents bought me my t/a without me even asking. I got to keep it on one condition, that my mom and dad got to take it out every once in a while When I brought my other toys home it was stuff like "thats badass" and "That color blue is pretty". My parents just dont give a ****.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:03 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I wish my parents were like yours surfnaked
Old 03-31-2005, 11:25 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 02WS6Bird
Hell my dad used to modify cars, he and a buddy had a 67 Camaro that they had a built 396 in, 4 speed on the floor, cut low 11's all motor spinning through 1st gear back in the 70's/80's. He gives me ideas for my car, and he also tells me things form when he was a mechanic. Taught me alot. Before i got my car, het tested it out as weel, along with a few other T/A's and he Insisted i get this wone becuase it was so much stornger and faster then the others, althought i wanted a 6 speed, and they didnt have any in NBM. I was a bit hesitant at that time w/ stick shift, now i have no problem but that s besides the point.
Wish I'd had a family like that, heh. My dad always gets in a bad mood if I tried to just watch him attempting to do something, forget about any teaching. He had a Mustang quite a few years ago, IIRC was a V6 auto; aside from that it's been nothing but one big four-cylinder auto party.
Old 04-01-2005, 12:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Both of my parents love F-bodies, so it was never much of a problem for me.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Covet
I don't mean to be a complete dick here but most of the suggestions these guys have offered aren't going to work. My mom was freaking out about me having one too (so much so that she refuses to have it shipped to where I am so that I can actually drive it. I've owned this car for a while now and I still haven't gotten a chance to take it for more than a goddamn test drive, how sad is that?). I tried almost every one of the arguments these guys have suggested. She's never seen me speed, I have no tickets, good grades, etc etc. She still **** a brick over it. If your mother is anything like mine you're going to have to bombard her with a deluge of safety reports, etc just to get her to even give the car a chance.
hahahahaha, BRETT!! It's Brian. Keep reading up on here to get some suggestions. Did you ever find out if it was a real SS, or a Z28 with badges? And I will go take the car for a test drive if you don't mind

Brian