Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Conditioner Squealing

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air Conditioner Squealing

This has been going on for about a year. I'm not sure if it's something I should be concerned about.

I've read a few things on here about screwed AC clutches and compressors, but the noise related happens when the AC is on. My noise is when the AC is off.

It runs fine, air is nice and cold. But when it's turned off and the car is sitting still, sometimes it makes a loud scrubbing/squealing noise. But when I accelerate it goes away. Or if I turn it on when it's making the noise, the clutch clicks and the noise immediately disapears. It sounds like squealing brakes, on not as high pitched.

I can rotate the armature plate(?) with my hand and it makes a scrubbing noise, but the dealership said it was the AC Bearings (but they checked it with the AC off. It if was the bearings it would squeal with the AC on, wouldn't it?)

Is this something I should be very concerned about? Can it damage anything and should I remove the AC belt or is it just a minor annoyance?
Old 04-05-2005, 09:27 PM
12 Second Club

The belt is still gonna spin the comp, whether it is on or off. So it could be bearings. It's weird that it goes away when you put the AC on, tho. Have you tried hitting it with a little WD40 to see if it quiets it down? Either way, it sounds like it's heading south on ya...
Old 04-07-2005, 03:05 AM
12 Second Club

mine does it to when its on...