New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ASR ( Trac control ) switch???

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wait....so even if your switch stays off all the time, it comes on when you start the car anyways and you have to turn the switch on and then off again?
Old 04-12-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

yea....if u turn it off....cut the car off....it will be on when u start it again
Old 04-12-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Resident

Well goddamn, I guess you learn something new everyday.

BRB, I need to go smack my head on a brick wall.
Old 04-13-2005, 03:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by '02 WS/6
I LOVE my TCS.

It allows you to spin the wheels just enough for a perfect launch (but it does suck when you do spin and it comes in) so all that I really use is the ASR. I have to admit, a few times at high speeds the ASR has saved my ***. I dont know if I actually woulda spun or crashed, but I definitely felt like the ASR helped.
wow, ur really missing out, the best launches and performance comes from Traction control OFF! asr slows u down and lowers hp. and dont say ur car just burns out when u launch, u just dont know how to launch. look into brake launching and gradual throttle, ull get to 60 at least 50% faster.
Old 04-13-2005, 09:11 PM
Staging Lane

the module to default to ASR off costs too much. for my $60+, i'll hit the switch every time. if not, I'd be cheating the rubber makers out there
Old 04-13-2005, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When I launch with TCS on its not like i'm just relying on the computer completely and flooring it, its a gradual takeoff just like you say and ive noticed that if you do it just right, you can actually have a bit of wheelspin without the TCS coming on.

you probably could have a little more wheelspin at takeoff to takeoff faster without the TCS on, but if you dont make it intervene then you can still get a pretty good launch. Thats what I meant, not that you should just floor it and let the computer control the throttle. I love it because it comes on automatically and stops me from spinning my tires, (sometimes before I even know there spinning)

BTW i know how to launch my car just fine with TCS on or off, I also know how to launch it so as not to have TCS intervene. So like I said in my post, "all I really use is ASR" I am not advocating the use of TCS for drag racing, but it is a precaution for everyday driving.
Old 04-13-2005, 10:23 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm glad i dont have it so i dont have that damn box on my passenger fender w/ cables strung all about

plus i LOVE the blank fake button on my dash! i like to hit it all the time and yell NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Old 04-14-2005, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Firehawk0220
I'm glad I have mine. I think it has helped out on one or two occasions. Turning it off doesn't bother me. Even if I have to do it everything. I drive the car so rarely that it doesn't really get to me.

Where options are concerned: I'd rather have them and not use them, than not have them and want them or wonder if I would like it.

Originally Posted by deetsnai
wow, ur really missing out, the best launches and performance comes from Traction control OFF! asr slows u down and lowers hp. and dont say ur car just burns out when u launch, u just dont know how to launch. look into brake launching and gradual throttle, ull get to 60 at least 50% faster.
... Telling someone they don't know how to launch when you don't know them is a very bold thing to do... with the TCS ON I can fishtail the backend, which I can do with it off, but it doesn't "catch" as quickly with it off and I've seen no power drop, and I have really bald tires ( can barely feel any tread is on their )..
Old 04-14-2005, 09:43 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by FelixIlka

... Telling someone they don't know how to launch when you don't know them is a very bold thing to do...

if they launch faster with TCS on then off, then they dont know how to launch.

pure and simple.

with the TCS ON I can fishtail the backend, which I can do with it off, but it doesn't "catch" as quickly with it off and I've seen no power drop, and I have really bald tires ( can barely feel any tread is on their )..
so you're saying:
1. you do stupid things that make you fishtail? (note: for thoes who dont know, fishtailing is when you are going around a corner or are otherwise turning the car, overcorrect so the rear end swings back the other way, and overcorrect AGAIN and have it swing back... making the rear end whip back and forth like a fishes tail.... somthing you should never have happen more then the 1st inital *** end out around the turn.... in a nutshell, its driver error from over correcting)

2. you're stating opinions on traction based topics while you admit you have bald, worn out tires.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

i love my ASR it is a nice feature and can be turned off...for a daily driven car i think that it is pretty nice to have. i am going to get into a race i turn it off, other than that it is on all of the time.
Old 04-14-2005, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
i'm glad i dont have it so i dont have that damn box on my passenger fender w/ cables strung all about

plus i LOVE the blank fake button on my dash! i like to hit it all the time and yell NAWZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
LMAO every time I get into a f-body or vette, thats the first thing I turn off after starting the car. *shruggs* I never saw a point in it unless theres ice or snow on the ground.
Old 04-14-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
if they launch faster with TCS on then off, then they dont know how to launch.

pure and simple.

so you're saying:
1. you do stupid things that make you fishtail? (note: for thoes who dont know, fishtailing is when you are going around a corner or are otherwise turning the car, overcorrect so the rear end swings back the other way, and overcorrect AGAIN and have it swing back... making the rear end whip back and forth like a fishes tail.... somthing you should never have happen more then the 1st inital *** end out around the turn.... in a nutshell, its driver error from over correcting)

2. you're stating opinions on traction based topics while you admit you have bald, worn out tires.
1. I didn't buy a muscle car to drive like a *****. Fishtailing IMO is NOT driver error, it's pure fun, just like burnouts, doughnuts, ect. are. If I wanted a car to get me from point a to point b without any fun, I would have bought a honda.

2. Damn right I am, cause I can launch with BAD BALD tires, and I like that.

3. I guess someone who knows how to launch with TCS on ( and off ) would know how to drive better than you then?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:07 AM
TECH Junkie

1. I didn't buy a muscle car to drive like a *****. Fishtailing IMO is NOT driver error, it's pure fun, just like burnouts, doughnuts, ect. are. If I wanted a car to get me from point a to point b without any fun, I would have bought a honda.

2. Damn right I am, cause I can launch with BAD BALD tires, and I like that.

3. I guess someone who knows how to launch with TCS on ( and off ) would know how to drive better than you then?

its stupid threads like this that remind me why i never go into the newbie section.

if TCS is on, you dont have a choice, the car is going to launch slower no matter what. with it off, its up to the driver.

rather then take offense to your comment, i'll just go back to the rest of the board... you go run along and chat with your friends about TCS while remaining totally ignorant of how it works..
Old 04-14-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i know alot of people who don't like it
Old 04-14-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

its stupid threads like this that remind me why i never go into the newbie section.

if TCS is on, you dont have a choice, the car is going to launch slower no matter what. with it off, its up to the driver.

rather then take offense to your comment, i'll just go back to the rest of the board... you go run along and chat with your friends about TCS while remaining totally ignorant of how it works..

WTF is your problem? You had no reason to even post in this section, you added nothing to the thread.

And BTW, noone in here said that they could launch faster with it on, dumbass; I said I could launch decently with it on and it keeps itself on automatically so therefore: It doesnt really bother me when i'm driving on the street and if in case I really didnt know how to drive and made too many "drivers errors" it would kick in.

What the hell makes you think we dont know how TCS works?
Old 04-14-2005, 06:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If I want to have fun, I turn mine off. 90% of the time it's off. It is nice to have it on during rain and snow. If you are just going to the grocery store, you can leave it on because you don't even think about it.

All of you that say you are happy it is not there, just don't know what it IS like to have it so you don't know what you are missing.

At the track, TURN IT OFF, it's much faster with it off. A good driver will always be faster with TCS or ASR OFF, plain and simple.
Old 04-14-2005, 06:38 PM
Teching In

I only use it for driving in the rain. It definetly slows me down off the line, even more so with the Converter. I like to be in control of my car when im driving like that.

D
Old 04-14-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Resident

Good, like '02 WS/6 said, if you have nothing important to say then stay the hell out of the thread, hell just stay out of the new LS1 owners & enthusiasts section, people don't need your additude.

Oh and I didn't know disagreeing with you made us newbies and not know how things work, oh please show us o not newbish one!