New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Filter cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2005, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am cheap i am sorry an di know i am beatign this to death, i will move on , but hey, i paid cash for my 2001 Z, and it wasnt by spending cash where uneeded LOL, i am a mizer no doubt, so i guess i am off to autozone LOL, thanks fo rth ereplies, i am surprised at the low HP fron teh KN, i have a lid and KN and figued on about 6-8 w/both.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Resident

its a 2 to 3 day process
what directions were u readin ....it doesnt take 2-3 days....it takes 15-20min tops(i slap mine in front of a fan) to save some of the K&N cleaner find a large bucket pour alittle amount in the bucket(enough to cover the bottom of bucket)....and fill the bucket up with water......i drop my filter in there and wash the hell outta it....let it COMPLETELY dry and then sray on a LIGHT coat of K&N oil and let it dry another 30min(again in front of a fan)...then slap that bitch right back in....off u go....its that simple...that 2-3 day is bullshit
Old 04-21-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SStheBest
what directions were u readin ....it doesnt take 2-3 days....it takes 15-20min tops(i slap mine in front of a fan) to save some of the K&N cleaner find a large bucket pour alittle amount in the bucket(enough to cover the bottom of bucket)....and fill the bucket up with water......i drop my filter in there and wash the hell outta it....let it COMPLETELY dry and then sray on a LIGHT coat of K&N oil and let it dry another 30min(again in front of a fan)...then slap that bitch right back in....off u go....its that simple...that 2-3 day is bullshit
Your filter is not going to dry completely in that short amount of time, even if you do have it in front of a fan. It is made so that it only lets air pass through it (in theory) and not other materials such as water (hence the point of a filter), so in order for it to dry that would mean that all of the water would have to blow out through it completely. Additionally, the oil will not absorb into the material in that short time as well. I'm surprised you haven't already had MAF issues regarding the oil messing it up. You're really chancing it.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:52 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

here are my thoughts...

Originally Posted by theblurls1 yesterday in a thread about 1/2 a page from this one titled "air filter" lol
i have always used k&n filters in my vehicals. i've seen them run at dirt tracks and be completly coated in mud/dirt with the inside clean as a whistle. i also ran one on my MX 4-wheeler with an open airbox, it was put thru the same (if not more) stress than our dirt cars did.

the oiling is the key, you should ONLY spray oil onto the side of the filter that is facing toward the ground when installed. let the airflow pull whatever excess oil you have INTO the fiber. these cars do not see baja conditions, so the filtration doesnt have much of a load on it at all.

a k&n filter can go quite a long time w/out recharging (cleaning and re-oiling). i like to buy the large cans of cleaner and oil from offroad places (rockymountainatv.com) or somthing similar. the large aerosol cans and the large spray bottle with the trigger (instead of the damn 1 finger plunger) works way better and lasts longer than the 10$ recharge kit.

PS - just a tip that i've discovered over the years. you after you take the filter out, hose it down with cleaner, and then wash it all out. you can place the filter on top of your A/C condensing unit outside your house for a quick dry. the warm air dries it out nicely
edit: thought i had some cleaning info in there!

i like to shake the large stuff out of mine, tap out what wont shake out. be CAREFUL with the metal mesh, it likes to break alot when bent. then i give mine a good soaking with the cleaner (which removes paint FYI, especially underhood paint ) and let it sit for a while. then i try to rinse everything out from the ENGINE SIDE of the filter out. thats from the opposite side that it sucks air into, thus making the dirt leave the way it came in . i usually wash untill its sufficiently WHITE, its the OIL that gives it the red tint. if i was to buy another one, i would wash it before i put it in. they are usually SOAKED in oil when new. re-oil with the method stated in the quote, i like to use it like spraypaint, evenly covering the entire "exposed to the elements" side. two *light* coats usually does it up right

Last edited by TheBlurLS1; 04-21-2005 at 11:57 PM.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

i cleaned my k&n with the kit too...but first you can take a air blower and a hose to it...then use the kit and the blower(an outdoor leaf type) to help it dry out faster and one more time before you finally put it back in
Old 04-22-2005, 04:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember reading that you are not suppose to use comprssed air on it as it may blow little holes in it (or somethign), causing even worse filtration.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 98SuperSport
i cleaned my k&n with the kit too...but first you can take a air blower and a hose to it...then use the kit and the blower(an outdoor leaf type) to help it dry out faster and one more time before you finally put it back in
read the box...it specificaly states not to do that
Old 04-22-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
Your filter is not going to dry completely in that short amount of time, even if you do have it in front of a fan. It is made so that it only lets air pass through it (in theory) and not other materials such as water (hence the point of a filter), so in order for it to dry that would mean that all of the water would have to blow out through it completely. Additionally, the oil will not absorb into the material in that short time as well. I'm surprised you haven't already had MAF issues regarding the oil messing it up. You're really chancing it.
considering u havent tried this method....dont know the type of fan....dont know ANY conditions....ur doin alot of talkin....my **** hasnt screwed up....now im not gonna lie...the first time i did my K&N along time ago i used too much oil..but know i no and the method i used above works really well...so keep ur .02 to ur self
Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SStheBest
considering u havent tried this method....dont know the type of fan....dont know ANY conditions....ur doin alot of talkin....my **** hasnt screwed up....now im not gonna lie...the first time i did my K&N along time ago i used too much oil..but know i no and the method i used above works really well...so keep ur .02 to ur self
You're right, i don't know the type of fan or the "conditions" so there is no basis for my logical statements good luck.
Old 04-22-2005, 07:54 PM
11 Second Club

I see NO way to properly do it in 15-20 mins. Even doing what you stated, which doesn't sound good, is going to take longer than that.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:21 PM
TECH Resident

I see NO way to properly do it in 15-20 mins
ok....so i lost track of time a little...but i KNOW it wasnt more than 40 min. thats for sure...i was sayin that it doesnt take 2-3 days to clean a damn filter...geeez
Old 04-22-2005, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

wow, i stirred up alot of **** over a filter LOL, i am gonna try to clean it and let teh sun dry it, and use some M1synt in a spray bottle to lube it, will keep u posted, sorry about the drama
Old 04-24-2005, 01:47 PM
On The Tree

i am using M1 synth as the oil to lighlty lube filter w/ is this ok?
Old 04-24-2005, 02:58 PM
11 Second Club

If you are not absolutely sure I see no reason to try using some random oil and not what K&N supply. If you are unwilling to pay for their recharge kit buy a paper filter.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:07 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
If you are not absolutely sure I see no reason to try using some random oil and not what K&N supply. If you are unwilling to pay for their recharge kit buy a paper filter.

i am not trying to be disrespectful, obvious by your post count you have been here a while, i am just trying to save a few bucks, any mod i can do for free is good, leaves money for my LT's, tires etc...

i just wanted to know if this will work.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Just stick with the recharge kit until someone actually takes the time to figure out what exactly it is in that oil. The recharge lasts a good while anyways, and let's face it, we didn't buy F-bodies to save money, that's for sure
Old 04-25-2005, 03:37 AM
That's what she said...

Originally Posted by golddot
i am using M1 synth as the oil to lighlty lube filter w/ is this ok?
that oil could possibly just pull straight thru the filter and into the MAF/intake manifold. the oil for the k&n filter isnt just some BS greasy stuff! its purpose engineered for air filtering. it probably has some kind of properties that make it bond to the filter media requiring degreaser/detergent to remove. just buy the damn recharge kit for 10 bux and feel good about it.

ride with your buddy the next time you go partying to save that 10 dollars back
Old 04-25-2005, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

LOL, thanks guys, i am going in monday to get one, thanks, again
Old 04-25-2005, 01:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

on the recharge package it specifically says not to use compressed air or any other type of related thing (leaf blower)...also i'm almost positive it says the same about using regular oil (m1 sythnetic) to oil the filter...that recharge kit will last for more than a year...so i don't see why it's a big deal...i understand what you are asking about but i don't think you understand how this stuff works or how long it lasts...but i'm really with blkz28spt if you don't want to deal with it...just get a paper filter...it goes right along the lines with if you don't like the gas mileage get a different car...
Old 04-26-2005, 01:11 AM
That's what she said...

did anybody read the ole sit the k&n on the A/C condensing unit for a quicker dry tip? lol

its not as violent as the compressed air/ leaf blower, just a nice warm breeze