Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

whats wrong w/ my SS

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2005, 11:12 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default whats wrong w/ my SS

I just bought this car a week ago and took it up to the track its a 2001 SS w/ the 1LE suspension w/ adj Konis & stiff as hell. It ran a 13.7@ like 107 w/ a 2.35 60ft. The previous owner also added a lid, headers, & SFC. The car is slower than my Z28! My Z28 stock went 13.2's w/ a 2.1 60ft! what gives this SS Hoorah is a bunch of trash. Could it be the suspension that is holding it back? The car does not squat no where near my Z. I had to take my Z out for a spin today and man is that thing faster. But from a ricer roll the SS can hold its own ok but nothing special. I beat my friend with a 02 CETA from a 40mph roll and he was running 13.3's his car got more but he doesnt know how to drive. So is this car slower then dog **** or what? This car is definetly a show queen/corner carver because it cannot drag race worth of ****. Also I want to add the SS has SLP headers (POS) and the stock dual dual exhaust which I think sounds like *** compaered to my LM and Jet Hots LTs on the Z. One thing I can say atleast it looks pretty even for having a LS6 Block. Im going to have to live w/ the exhaust until I get back from overseas thats if I dont sell the car there. One more thing the car was running so slow and pissing me off so much I didnt even run the N20 in fearing that it would still run a 13.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well your Honda'ish 2.35 60' didnt exactly help anything lol. Bring that down to a 2.0 and the car be in the 12.9-13.1 range.
Old 04-26-2005, 01:08 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you think that jet hot LT's and a loudmouth sounds GOOD you need to hear some other exhaust systems my friend! to each his own i guess lol

get some new tires under it, adjust the suspension (the shocks if you can), and SOMTHING to get that 60' down. if you pull .35 off of it, that will be well over .35 off the ET

some cars are dogs and some cars haul ***. what was the DA at the track? or how cold, how much altitude? 13.0-13.7 is the generally accepted range for these cars and it looks like you just got screwed, a few mods should bring it around though, or you could just hit the button lol

and BTW z28's OWN SS's
Old 04-26-2005, 02:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe try running some top end cleaner through it and doing a full tune up including a fuel filter and some fuel system cleaner. If it still runs high 13's you have a dud but don't write it off yet. I've seen LS1's turning low 14's due to traction problems, weather condition, driver tecnique, or a combination of the above. At least your Z28 is a strong car. Some run hard and some don't.
Old 04-26-2005, 07:18 PM
Teching In

It might seem kinda funny but check out your cats...i had the same problem with a 99 ss. I didnt have **** for power! i took off the cats and gutted them out and gained hella power! your engine has to breathe