Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas tank size ???'s

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:16 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas tank size ???'s

I was reading the thread about the how many miles the ls1's get to a tank of gas and I only get between 170 to 210miles out of a tank usually in the 180 range(almost all city driving). My question was about the size of my gas tank (02 SS M6) I read its supposed to be 16.8 gallons. But whenever I feel up I could only put about 13.5 gallons and thats going all the way till the check engine light comes on and driving about 10 more miles and every time its between 12.5-13.5 gallons when I fill up. Could their be something wrong with my gas gauge thats telling me theirs no more gas or is the check engine light supposed to come on when theirs about 3 gallons left in the tank.

Oh and my car only has about 11500 miles on it if that makes a difference.
Old 05-03-2005, 01:28 AM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manufacturers tend to intentionally design the gas tank / gauge / alerts to keep a 'reserve' of several gallons past the point at which it makes you think it's empty, that's pretty normal
Old 05-03-2005, 01:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACW
Manufacturers tend to intentionally design the gas tank / gauge / alerts to keep a 'reserve' of several gallons past the point at which it makes you think it's empty, that's pretty normal
So we don't run out of gas and fry our electric fuel pumps