Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.73's no doubt
Old 05-05-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't do the pulley until I was doing a cam, anyways.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TroubledWine3
I wouldn't do the pulley until I was doing a cam, anyways.
Why not? You can swap pullies pretty easily, don't even have to remove the radiator. If you had a cam going in within a month or two then I might wait since you have to remove the pulley at that time anyway. But otherwise.....
Old 05-06-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

how much would you gain from a pulley (25% ud) and overdrive alt? i want to know facts not oh about 2hp
Old 05-06-2005, 11:04 AM
11 Second Club

My car is going in to LS1 Speed this month and one of the things on the list before getting it on the dyno again is pullies, if they come in. Larry told me that they normally just install the crank underdrive pulley with no alt pulley and have no charging issues.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the underdrive pulley and have never had an issue. I've not seen any issues either in all the research I've done. The power gain is minimal but its also very effective. The new pulley weighs a lot less and is smaller. Its direct gain on the crank where the benefit is the greatest. IF your going to mod your car further and produce more hp then the rear-end is going to be suspect. I have an m6 and would love to throw some 410's in there but do the research.. more people than not have to buy a new rear-end so it wouldnt be worth wasting money on gears. That being said they (gears)are cheap and do add SOP feel. But you cant put them in yourself as you can a pulley so you have to add the labor cost as well which makes them more expensive than a pulley. Get the pulley anyway even if you do get gears.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
I have the underdrive pulley and have never had an issue. I've not seen any issues either in all the research I've done. The power gain is minimal but its also very effective. The new pulley weighs a lot less and is smaller. Its direct gain on the crank where the benefit is the greatest. IF your going to mod your car further and produce more hp then the rear-end is going to be suspect. I have an m6 and would love to throw some 410's in there but do the research.. more people than not have to buy a new rear-end so it wouldnt be worth wasting money on gears. That being said they (gears)are cheap and do add SOP feel. But you cant put them in yourself as you can a pulley so you have to add the labor cost as well which makes them more expensive than a pulley. Get the pulley anyway even if you do get gears.
he's got a good point
Old 05-06-2005, 03:48 PM
Staging Lane

i got 5 rwhp with my underdrive pulley and never felt a difference with the juice on and a small difference NA Seeing as how i have had both, 3:73's and the ASP UDP and i would deffinately do the ring and pinion and the stall, that is the meat and potatoes of making your car fast, all the little pieces like UDP and a Cutout and SFC and all that are good and you are going to want/need them in the future but to get the best gains i would go ring and pinion, stall, intake and exhaust then some sort of H/C package or FI or N20, then add your little nuts and bolts
Old 05-06-2005, 04:00 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by riceyum
i got 5 rwhp with my underdrive pulley and never felt a difference with the juice on and a small difference NA Seeing as how i have had both, 3:73's and the ASP UDP and i would deffinately do the ring and pinion and the stall, that is the meat and potatoes of making your car fast, all the little pieces like UDP and a Cutout and SFC and all that are good and you are going to want/need them in the future but to get the best gains i would go ring and pinion, stall, intake and exhaust then some sort of H/C package or FI or N20, then add your little nuts and bolts
5 rhwp isn't usually enough to feel. It also isn't a bad gain for the money. Sure, heads/cam will make more power but that also costs a lot more money...on the order of thousands of dollars. Pullies are barely over $200 with belts. The horsepower/$$ ratio is pretty nice. That 5rwhp may very well give a gain greater than 0.05 as well.