New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just bought high milage LS1. Questions. *HELP*

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The most precautionary step you can take is knowing the previous owner(s) and knowing what they have done to take care of the car. So if you trust these people and the car seems to be in good order and runs strong, sounds like she'll make the trip fine. Good luck, and make sure you update us.
Old 05-11-2005, 01:39 AM
Launching!

I bought my car in Tampa, Fl last October and drove it back to Kansas City. Flew out at 5:45 and landed in Tampa where the previous owner picked me up and went to the bank. Left Tampa at 2:30 and drove through the night until I got back to Kansas City the next day at 12:30. The guy I bought it from got the oil changed and washed and waxed the car for me. He also told me that if anything was to happen to the car on the way he would come pick me up and get something figured out from there. He also made me promise to call him when I got back home to make sure everything went well. That trip was one of the best times I have had. Music up and windows down just me and my new car. I only stopped for gas and food and I drank lots of pop and had some Nodoz to keep me awake. Of course I slept the whole next day but it was well worth it. Good luck on the new car. And remember your map.

Robby
Old 05-14-2005, 09:20 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the suggestion(s).

Currently working out some stuff with registration/insurance, but hopefully I'll be down there to pick it up NEXT weekend... damn I want that car.

Question,

Considering this is a very high milage vehicle, what type of oil should I change it with and use from now on? From my readings on this forum I am leaning towards Mobile1 5w30 w/ AC DELCO filter... suggestions? I'll be changing the oil and tranny fluid as soon as a pull out of the dealership, just before I head home...

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2005, 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Also, would it be a good idea to switch over to synthetic at this time?
Old 05-14-2005, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

its always a good idea to run synthetic in your ls1 i agree with 5w30 mobil 1, oil filter is prefrence, just stay away from crappy filters naturaly. i use purolator PureONE filter, very awsome filter.

do you know any of the maintance that has been done on this vehicle prior to your ownership?

i would recommend, flush ALL fluids, coolant, tranny,dif.
change plugs wires and fuel filter and pcv valve.
Old 05-14-2005, 09:56 AM
12 Second Club

The maintenance records are incomplete. The orig owner who drove it for most of its life kept all the records which I found in the glove box.... older guy, so mainly GM dealership scheduled services. The second owner did not keep any records at all. None that I was told about or could find anyways.

I agree with oil, tranny, and diff... I plan on doing those. But coolant as well? I imagine I'd need a dealership to take care of a coolant flush, I've never done that before.

I was considering plugs and wires as well, those will most likely be done with stock replacements. Likewise with the fuel filter. Whats up with the PCV vavle? Why would you think it is necessary (this is the first time I've heard of changing it - sry)?

Thanks again,
Old 05-14-2005, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

look inside of the throttle body, if there's oil/residue on it, you may need a pcv valve, or even better, a catch can mod.

Originally Posted by jinxedz
Whats up with the PCV vavle? Why would you think it is necessary (this is the first time I've heard of changing it - sry)?

Thanks again,