Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to the site

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 02:10 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to the site

Hello folks. My name is Kevin, and I'm from central California, land of the Governater.

Hobbies are reading and writing, videogames, and muscle cars--which, brings me to the reason I joined.

I've always wanted a 1st gen Camaro. Unfortunately, the only thing I can do on an engine is check the fluids. I know nothing about engine building, body work--in short, I know nothing about the necessities of putting a car together. The only person in my family who did was my late father, and the plan we had to put together a car died with him (he did have a very nice '68 GTO, that unfortunately was sold after my brother wrecked it).

My question is, what would the approximate cost be to have one built for me? I know that is a question loaded with variables, so I'll try to summarize what I'm looking for: This would be a daily driver, with an emphasis on reliable street performance. I don't care about matching numbers, or factory perfect restorations. As far as interiors go, I'd be happy with just some bolt in Recarro seats and a dash insert. Nothing fancy. I think I'd like a modern powerplant, like an LS-1 for reliability. I'd also like suspension upgrades to improve cornering.

Any guesses to what I'd be looking at price-wise for what I've described above would be great. I have a feeling though, that I'd be better off waiting on the '07 Camaro.

Thanks for any insight.
Old 05-11-2005, 04:16 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dont hold your breath on the 07.... nothing is certain....

A first gen with a LS1 heart... a great choice...
the first thing i would do is steer you away from trying to have one built. you will spend ALOT more that way... to do it right your looking at 50k or so....(if someone is building it for you)
you are in luck... this combo is a very popular one... you can find exactly what you want already built for sale... just do an ebay search... with 15-20k you can have what it would take 50k to get built...
Old 05-11-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome!!!!

My hot rod with an LS-1 is now over $35k........and that is just in parts. This hobby ain't for the faint of heart.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:56 AM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

welcome Kevin. I hope through reading, and searching, and meeting the cool people on this board you find what you're looking for.

Seeya man,
Brad
Old 05-11-2005, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

WeLcOmE <33333
I HoPe YoU EnJoY ThE SiTe... LoTs Of SmArT PeOpLe HeRe LoL
Old 05-13-2005, 01:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jaberwaki
dont hold your breath on the 07.... nothing is certain....

A first gen with a LS1 heart... a great choice...
the first thing i would do is steer you away from trying to have one built. you will spend ALOT more that way... to do it right your looking at 50k or so....(if someone is building it for you)
you are in luck... this combo is a very popular one... you can find exactly what you want already built for sale... just do an ebay search... with 15-20k you can have what it would take 50k to get built...
Thanks for the insight. $15K to $20K sounds a lot better than $50K and up.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:39 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by xlove2loveux
WeLcOmE <33333
I HoPe YoU EnJoY ThE SiTe... LoTs Of SmArT PeOpLe HeRe LoL
Thank you. The site looks real interesting.