Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest at School

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ what he said.

I used to think I was a good driver when I was younger until a certain telephone pole taught me otherwise. I drifted a corner at about 50mph and lost it. Quite a humbling experience.
Old 05-16-2005, 09:05 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by unit213
There are reasons why guys don't jump right to 7 second cars.
Yeah,,,that would be lack of $$
Old 05-16-2005, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

dude, im 19 and saved and bought the SS listed below. save the money for insurance. especially in the winter months youre gonna get kicked square in the nuts unless you plan on not driving it and taking insurance off of it. luckily i was able to work 4 years to save to buy the Son of a bitch. well worth the wait thought. do bolt ons, stock you should beat a POS evo. your torque should kill him. id say if doing anything, first do rims and tires, get a wider tire on that thing cuz 245s...like were on my old T/A...****...good luck hooking up with a half decent holeshot. yeah...had to run for the high school title too. luckily all of us with the sports cars were friends so it was never a heated event. just fun racing for ***** and giggles. until some *** would get a car they thought was halfway fast and one of us would set em in his place. good luck with it and dont wrap it around a pole or tree. dont worry about an evo...**** on him.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

finally somebody said it. Dont worry about the evo. Id go lid and catback to wake it up a bit and save the rest for a rainy day
Old 05-16-2005, 10:45 PM
TECH Resident

Here's an idea. ( This is going to sound like I'm an *******, but I'm not )

Put the money into paying off the car. Unless you plan to race this kid at the track, which is highly doubtful, then just don't waste your money/time. Think about this REALLY REALLY hard, ask yourself, is proving "I'm the fastest at my school" worth risking f-king yourself? Is showing this tool that you have the faster car really worth the risk?

I have one of the lowest insurance payments for a Trans Am for my age, I'll give you one guess why.. ( and no, it's not cause I drive my car like a little girl ) I pay 46 bucks a month for FULL MILLION DOLLAR COVERAGE... think about how much money you will save yourself LATER in life...

If you really want to mod the car, I'd say exhaust setup+lid. It will give you a decent power gain and sound badass..

A 17 year old who's never driven a powerful performance car talking about slapping on a H/C package AND a S/C ( that's not only expensive for 17, but you live at home, lucky. ) is just plain silly.

Honestly PLEASE read my post and don't just skip over it... it's to help you out.

Edit: Oh and for my age, I'm 22 ( 23 on May 25th ).
Old 05-16-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Junkie

lid, headers, true duals, tune, shifter. i remember the feeling of being the fastest at school, and i didn't have to prove it. if i had to, id pay off the car as fast as i can.
Old 05-16-2005, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's an idea. ( This is going to sound like I'm an *******, but I'm not )
I'm with this guy. I feel the same way. I drive my car like a girl 2. These are nice,fast car;however, if taken for granted, can cause a lot of problems. Tickets, accidents,death are the main ones. It's nice to have a sports car, but along with owning one comes a certain level of responsibility. I'd hate to get pulled over for racing or kill myself or other people, or lose my liscense. Just my .02
Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 PM
On The Tree

I think you should put a cut out on it and save the rest of the money. Then you can say your car sounds a hell of a lot better then his POS rice burner and whoop his A$$.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Veteran

if u mod, get headers/exhaust. but being 18 i recomend not worying bout tht joker and saving it for insurance.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by unit213
I was referring to his age. When I was 16yo I put my TA into a ditch at 100mph. That was after I ripped the front end off another car...

Gotta learn respect first and understand how to handle the power. Respect for power was something I didn't have. There are reasons why guys don't jump right to 7 second cars.

A lid, cutout, tires, and a shifter will make his LS1 extremely fun yet controllable. There aren't many 17yo's that can handle 600+rwhp.
I agree 100%. My first car was a 6 banger and i'm glad it was cause i know I would have done the same thing unit did. Plus, at his age, there's going to be a lot of his friends to nag him on to do stupid things....granted fun...but if he can't handle it and respect it, then it's a done deal.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Resident

Lid, exhaust, shifter, and wheels/tires unless your current tires are good.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:29 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
I have one of the lowest insurance payments for a Trans Am for my age, I'll give you one guess why.. ( and no, it's not cause I drive my car like a little girl ) I pay 46 bucks a month for FULL MILLION DOLLAR COVERAGE... think about how much money you will save yourself LATER in life...

Edit: Oh and for my age, I'm 22 ( 23 on May 25th ).
How? I will be 23 on May 31st and I pay $137.64 a month on my 01' SS for full million dollar coverage with a $250 deductable. I have never had a ticket or wreck and also have every discount avalible, multi. car, homeowners, etc.... I dont see how $46 is possible at our age. Please explain.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Joker # 9
How? I will be 23 on May 31st and I pay $137.64 a month on my 01' SS for full million dollar coverage with a $250 deductable. I have never had a ticket or wreck and also have every discount avalible, multi. car, homeowners, etc.... I dont see how $46 is possible at our age. Please explain.
Multiple Car, Renters Insurance ( Homeowners would actually drop it even more ), Never had a speeding ticket ( altho I think my fiance has one on her record ) , I have one at-fault accident on my record, it's a pleasure vehicle ( driven in summer only, so it's rated lower ), and the biggest whopper of all... The Marrage Discount... they think married people are more responsible..

Tell me about it, I couldn't believe it when she told me... I pay almost as much on my 94 dodge intrepid which only has collision on it. Altho I think alot has also to do that sence I have the intrepid as my "main" car they don't age rate me on the Trans Am, which is super nice... but if I sold the intrepid, I would be screwed.
Old 05-16-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think you should put a cut out on it and save the rest of the money. Then you can say your car sounds a hell of a lot better then his POS rice burner and whoop his A$$.
Exactly. A cutout is cheap, sounds good, and will give a little bit of a hp gain. Save the rest of your $ for a rainy day. THEY WILL HAPPEN.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:00 AM
Launching!

Working backwards bro.

Upgrade your brakes, if even just a rotor/pad swap. Once you get it stopping good, you win. (and win even more once you upgrade the power, since you can enter a turn way faster, since you can brake later)
Old 05-17-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

hey, I got mine when i was 18, im 19 now, so no big difference, but I wont try to talk you out of modding your car. I know that at its core, modding a car isnt practical, and its defiently not a good idea to go racing around all the time, and going to "street races" with the high school crowd. BUT I did the exact same thing, so I wont be a hippocrit. As far as modding the car goes, DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!!!

Being our age, and having a low level of inome, we dont have the ability to buy parts over and over again. Get stainless headers, preferrably qtp's or kooks, they are more expensive but you wont have to buy new headers ever again. Also get true duals, cause you wont find better power or sound from exhaust, and they arent very expensive either.

All in all have respect for the car. I wont tell you not to floor it and fish tail some, but make sure you do it in smart areas. I put my car in a ditch once, and I can ensure you that I have had more respect for my car ever since. These have lots of power. Dont worry about h/c or s/c just yet. Do the exhaust, and then see if the stupid evo can even keep ground with u. Just be careful, no high school title is worth having an impounded car.

P.S. I got my car my senior year, and I had the "fastest car in school" title from the second i showed up with it. Everyone knew it was the fastest, except the previous "king". He had a 70's model camaro with a 427 in it, and it took me beating him 3 times with a full load of people in my car to destroy his confidence. Also, if you really want to gain respect, don't go out looking for races, if one comes along, decide whether it is a good idea, but showing off does very little good, and often makes people think you aren't really confident in ur car.

go obliterate a honda for me!
Nathan
Old 05-17-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, I just got my car Saturday and I'm taking it to school for the first time tomorrow, I am 18yrs old and a senior in high school , I know how you feel, but I dont feel like I need to prove that my car can waste anything else sitting in that parking lot because I know it can and I think everyone else knows it. Just get a nice catback and rev ur engine at that punk. That evo is a joke compared to the american muscle of the T A
Old 05-17-2005, 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by natronathon
Get stainless headers, preferrably qtp's or kooks, they are more expensive but you wont have to buy new headers ever again. Also get true duals, cause you wont find better power or sound from exhaust, and they arent very expensive either.
Im gonna have to agree with this. I know its definitley gonna be hard to keep your foot off the pedal like you may want to but there are a lot of things that aren't worth doing. I just turned 22 on the 15th and I know these cars are fun to push but there is a time and place for everything.

I also know that having money to burn on your car is almost impossible to keep in your pocket or save so if you're gonna mod I would definitely start with

1. free mods
2. lid
3. duals
4. headers

you will probably have some extra cash left over depending on what you purchase...or you can spend it all.. If I had to recommend anything I would say get some Pacesetter LT's, TSP TD's or Lanes TD's, and any lid will do. Great products with great prices. Put that extra cash you have in your pocket for gas or something.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Learn to drive the car really well and keep it stock. Chances are (like you already said) he can't drive his worth a damn, him adding things isn't going to help him much. Being a better driver will more than make up for small mods he might do

Save the money for after High School. I had a slow as hell '92 RS Camaro for my Junior and Senior year. Probably the slowest "performance" car at our school. I saved my money, and not only do I have a fairly quick LS1 car that will destroy anything that the kids from my high school have now, I also live under my own roof. Having a badass car + living at parents house sucks. Having a badass car + running your own show = well...badass

Sorry, didn't mean to thread hijack. What I'm trying to say is think about the future first, "titles" in high school mean almost nothing
Old 05-17-2005, 03:24 AM
TECH Resident

i have a truck so ya.... some stuff honestly now that i think about it man ya could do, get a tune up with ngk tr55ix plugs, msd wires, go get an intake of some kind or i dunno if the stock set up is that good or not, then get some duals like magna flow, nelson tune, headers...etc...