New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest at School

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 03:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just a warning once you start you cant stop im 17 and currently building an LS1 powered holden torana hatchback (about 2520lbs) over here in Australia at first i was just going to bolt it straight in with a mafless tune and a twin 3'' exhaust but then came the bolt on's i ran out of them so i did the cam then the aftermarket heads then the manifold then the rockers then the valve springs ect ect ect now the only standard thing on the motor is the bottom end. a once $20,000 (US $15,000) project has now turned into a $35,000 (US $26,250) project and none of my perents are going to swing any cash my way. remember if you have a powerfull engine you need a strong drivetrain to go with it that was my problem

Last edited by a9x_hatch; 05-17-2005 at 04:18 AM.
Old 05-17-2005, 04:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'd pay off that loan first...do a looksie at what you're paying in interest by making your monthly payments...that $20K dollar Trans Am is now $30K!

Oh, and get ready for for $1,000 sets of tires, that's fun.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about horsepower, it's got plenty to start. My last 3rd gen was modded with the go fast hp stuff, but by far the Baer Brakes and suspension mods were the most enjoyable, not the power goodies.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:36 AM
On The Tree

put duals and long tubes on and he wont even want to race you after he hears your car...youll get a big perf boost out of it to
Old 05-17-2005, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

96 lt1 ws6's dont put down 300+rwhp stock...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by a9x_hatch
just a warning once you start you cant stop im 17 and currently building an LS1 powered holden torana hatchback (about 2520lbs) over here in Australia at first i was just going to bolt it straight in with a mafless tune and a twin 3'' exhaust but then came the bolt on's i ran out of them so i did the cam then the aftermarket heads then the manifold then the rockers then the valve springs ect ect ect now the only standard thing on the motor is the bottom end. a once $20,000 (US $15,000) project has now turned into a $35,000 (US $26,250) project and none of my perents are going to swing any cash my way. remember if you have a powerfull engine you need a strong drivetrain to go with it that was my problem
Is it just me or is it pretty amazing that a 17 year old has a 35 thousand ( 26k ) "project" without the help of parents??
Old 05-17-2005, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Basic bolt on's, and learn to drive the car well, the last words i ever said in my first z28 were "hey guys, watch this" and then bam, no more z28.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If $ is an issue, stay away from the 'mod bug'. If you catch it you're screwed

FOR NOW:
As many have stated, do a lid, full exhaust, and be done until you have the means to dump money into it, could do a small cam too.

DOWN THE ROAD:
If you plan on S/C or turbo or H/C, also plan on much much more. Dont just expect H/C to give you 400+RWHP and then think you are done. You will need suspension to hold the power (it adds up), a 12bolt or better ($$), better flywheel and clutch, etc...

Not trying to scare you, just trying to give you an idea...
Old 05-17-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Im with the rest of the guys knock down intake/exhaust shifter blah blah , but I would spray on top of all that.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:19 PM
Tech Addict

lid, ported tb, exhaust and some drag radials, you'll whip his ***.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm 17 and a junior in highschool also, there are faster cars then me ( owned by seniors) , but i really dont think its a big deal. I mean, kids at school already spread rumors that i have 500+ rwhp..
Old 05-17-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheRedPhoenix
I took no offense. Like I said, Im a car enthusiast and I know rather well that the driver is one of the most important things about a car. I need to get used to the power as well. I go from the 70rwhp (MAYBE lol) toyota to the ~300rwhp T/A. Oh, and the H/C and then (hopefully) S/C would come in over a year, so Ill have plenty of seat time as well as bolt ons.

Im just asking what should my first mods be?
I'm with the previous advice. Bolt-ons. SFC's, lid, exhaust, then cam. Get some seat time. My car isn't a daily driver anymore and it still catches me off guard when I haven't driven it for awhile.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

being the fastest in your school is boring.....
Old 05-17-2005, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Just dont' go actin dumb and go street racing where you're likely to kill yourself or worse yet, someone else.

I totaled my first car by being dumb (needless to say it was an empty parking lot at that lmao).

Being as you have a quick car as it is, and still in HS I'd save the money just in case you're in a bind financially. Then again, back when I was in HS someone could have told me the same, and I wouldn't have listened, lol.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cjels1
96 lt1 ws6's dont put down 300+rwhp stock...

who said anything about that
Old 05-17-2005, 04:30 PM
TECH Resident

I wouldn't even worry about the kid with the EVO, or what anyone else at your school thinks. Go out and be a ladies man instead of using your car for popularity. Do what you believe to be smart and responsible. You have plenty of time to mod the hell out of your car as long as you treat it with respect and don't wreck it. You will still be able to enjoy your car plenty while it is stock or with mild bolt ons.

BTW - Drag radials are a good safety net when it's dry, but won't do anything for you on a slick surface.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:18 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, I am in the same boat as you, I think that I am the youngest LS1 owner here, i'm 16, turn seventeen in about 3 weeks, as you can see from my sig that I didn't waste time before I started messing around. These cars become moneypits....Hell I spent more than $600 today alone. Get a Lid and an exhaust, I noticed a noticable gain in power and sound from my Pacesetters, ORY, and hooker CB. then start some suspension stuff, LCA's, SFC's and get some drag radials for the warm weather. then get an intake ud pulley ported tb and learn how to muster that power. after that there should be very few people who will beat you, at school or on the street. I have the fastest car to my knowledge at my school, and I live in a rich *** neighborhood, anyone who has driven through St. Charles IL, knows people have money. Some ricer kid has a civic with like 220whp and says he can beat me....um no way. The one thing I have been worrying about is this rumor of some kid with a 89TA with a stroked LS1 with 520whp. I guess i'll have to wait and see if he wants to run?
Old 05-17-2005, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

I vote for free mods lid and cut-out as well great cheap mods that will net you a good gain.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, thanks for all the replies guys.
Some clarification:
The H/C would be for HS graduation, and the S/C would be LATE COLLEGE. So that's like 5 years til S/C.
At the end of summer, I hope to have (in my order before this thread):
QTP LTs ($800ish)
y-pipe with QTECS ($600ish)
SLP Flo-pac (lid and filter and some sort of cold air device lol)($280ish)
Shifter (up to $200)

Now I understand how important tires can be. SO what brand DR do yall recommend? and How much are they?

The rainy day stuff... I work at a carwash more than 20 hours a week. I only get paid $5.15 an hour but I get tips. These tips add up. On AVERAGE, with the $5.15 plus tips, I'll get about $13 an hour- some days down to $9, some up to $20. Not bad for HS. So yea, I use my checks to pay for my car payment, and I use tips for mod money, out to eat money, and savings.

I have a 4.3 or so GPA, and Ill get a free ride to the college that I want to go to. - Drag radials might not be good in wet weather, but I never drive my car in the rain. I've had the TA since December 3rd, and I've put about 2,000 miles on it.

And with the T/A, I will be subtle. I wont go looking for races and I wont call anyone out. I also will not tell my mods to anyone. If anyone asks, Ill say I have a catback.
I have the utmost respect for all cars that deserve it. I've NEVER floored the car. I work really hard to keep this car nice and in my possession, I dont want to risk losing it.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:46 PM
11 Second Club

I got my car at the age of 17 (three months from 18) the summer after my junior year of high school. I am now going on 22 and will be a senior in college next year. My advice is that you do not do any real power mods for awhile. I owned mine for a good year before I did anything but a lid and cat-back. I'd get a lid, cat-back, tires, subframe connectors, !CAGS and a shifter. No more than that. Don't spend all your money. **** is ALWAYS coming up. My tranny starting taking a **** on me, car is at speed inc getting new tranny and other goodies and even now there is more ****. Larry just called me today for: torn tranny mount, my oil leak was the rear main seal, and my flywheel was cracked. (probaby did that **** while jamming it to install my cam )
Old 05-17-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 4.3 or so GPA, and Ill get a free ride to the college that I want to go to.
It's good to see some people still care about their future and do good in school. Keep up the good work, but saving money will be very beneficial for your future. I only say this b/c i blew a **** load of money that i should have saved. Never listened to my parents. I'm kickin myself in the *** now. Good luck.