Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fastest at School

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 10:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRedPhoenix
I have roughly $1500 saved up. I was looking at starting with wheels and tires, but since I have some competition, I need some performance goodies to keep my "title". Im thinking really hard about some QTP LTs with the y-pipe that includes QTECS(electric cutouts) which is about $1500.
save it up and get a Strange 9" with 4.11s

seriously dont worry about being fastest at school, when i got my car i was the fastest car there for about a month and then high school was over, and on to college, there will always be someone faster than you, when i first started college i was faster than this guy with a green LT1 Z28, by the end of the second semester he was running 12.3, and now ive heard hes got a forged 383, 175 N2O, and 12 bolt with 3.73s, what im getting at is you may be the fastest for a while but someday someone will come around and make you stare at his tail lights, so just make the car make you happy
Old 05-17-2005, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

dont take that GPA for granted...you have to keep that GPA after you get to college too and GPA isnt everything, character and not being an *** to the person at an interview is important...yeah man...as i said earlier im 19. learn respect. luckily i live in a rural area and ive been driving since i was 11 and LT1's and LS1's since i was 13 so ive learned respect after a few near death and wreck experiences...ive been lucky...**** on the evo is still my stance. i still wouldnt waste my gas on him. we raced here, but as i said im in the middle of BF ******-E. the road we usually raced on would see 3 cars traffic over the course of an hour, and its long and flat. just be careful and learn respect. my SS rarely see's over 2500 rpms driving around. its mainly just a baby. but be careful and as it was stated earlier...keep money back for the "shitt happens" stuff. like unexpected mantenience, or even stuff not car related. just be careful and the best of luck to you.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:05 AM
Teching In

I'm payin 244/mo for the car, 250/ mo for the ins. I'm 19 and bought my 1998 T/A on my own cash and have my name only on the loan. Get used to driving it stock before you do anything. I had 3 yrs driving/racing experience by the time I got my baby, and trust me, you NEED to get used to these things. Dun worry about the EVO or anyone beating youm 'cuz ure car's "the whole package" as grampa used to say (EVOs look rediculous, like that girl everybody knows who wears too much make up and screams LOOK AT ME, LOOK AT ME). She's gorgeous, comfortable, and runs like a raped ape. Trust me, that thing WILL rip a 13.5 stock. I've seen too many of these sexy beasts in salvage yards that get put there by people in our age bracket. I'm not commenting on your driving, I'm just saying take it easy, treat her like she deserves and you'll be rewarded with a rare beast that will be with you for a long time to come. Just last week, right after graduation rehearsal, some kid rearended my friend Lauren's 99 T/A with his LT-1 Camaro and totalled both cars. His parents bought him an '00 T/A THE NEXT DAY and she's still screwed. These aren't kid's cars. Owning one requires you to be a man. Take responsibility for it, let the ricer's and busty old LT (Not commenting on LT's, just the ratty ones that get driven at my HS) owners behave like kids, get tickets and wreck their cars. Step above all that and you and your car will be better for it. I have a friend in a wheelchair for the rest of her life 'cuz two street-racing Civics double-t-boned her 1987 Silverado, so for God's sake don't step into the injectors unless you're on a track. Keep it off the streets. That goes for everyone.
Anyway, what I'm trying to say, is before you worry about going faster, make sure you can just handle what's at your fingertips to begin with. These things are fun, but they sure as hell ain't toys.
Old 05-18-2005, 03:14 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
Is it just me or is it pretty amazing that a 17 year old has a 35 thousand ( 26k ) "project" without the help of parents??
yeah been workin full time since i was 14 1/2 and saving cash for my car since i was 15 im $17,000 (US $13,000) into it so far but i've still go a fair way to go all the drivetrain has been built and the body is about to go in to get painted should be on the road in 9-12 months should be good for low 11's or maybe even high 10's she'll be a beast
Old 05-18-2005, 04:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LoveHisBird
Just last week, right after graduation rehearsal, some kid rearended my friend Lauren's 99 T/A with his LT-1 Camaro and totalled both cars. His parents bought him an '00 T/A THE NEXT DAY and she's still screwed.
Why? Did he not have insurance?

And I was under the impression that 4.0 was the highest GPA possible. Someone fill me in.

My recommendation to you would be do a lid and catback (or cutout). Then put aside enough money to do nitrous RIGHT. Then if you race that dude after he get's his BOV and he wins. Go practice driving, race him again and if he still get's you then go practice driving more. If he does more mods or you absolutely cannot drive yourself to victory then do nitrous. You have him covered if you drive it right.

Also a rearend is something to plan for, gears will make the car pull harder too.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:45 PM
Teching In

Learn 2 get to know the car 1st and understand it's power, cause w/out Suspension these Beast Can't exactly turn on a Dime. Headers and Cut-out will make a Huge difference on Sound and that will prob scare the guy off Big time. My car Right now is Mac Mid Length Headers, Y-pipe, Cut-out, Slp Cold air induction, Stage 1 Tranny, and still stock tires. Q-mile is 12.9 on skinnys. Belive me there are cars that can beat me but I do scare them off when I rev, People who don't know much about cars in detail think my Car is Supercharged just by the noise Factor. But Diomond1ss is right(good Stuff), if ur car is Auto then get a Torque converter and full exhaust.
Soon 2 come, 3500 Torque Converter, 315 MT Drag Radials, 3.73 Gears... Mid 12's Here I come!
Old 05-18-2005, 05:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Swang]...ive been driving since i was 11 and LT1's and LS1's since i was 13 so ive learned respect after a few near death and wreck experiences...ive been lucky....[QUOTE]

Unfortunately it seems like almost everybody must learn this for themselves in exactly the same manner (if not worse).
Old 05-18-2005, 06:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LSWannabe
Why? Did he not have insurance?

And I was under the impression that 4.0 was the highest GPA possible. Someone fill me in.
If you take honors or AP classes then you can get higher. A regular class counts as a 4 if you get an A. An honors class counts as a 5 for an A, and AP, a 6. That's my wieghted GPA. If you calculate unwieghted GPA(which all classes count the same), then the highest is a 4.

So far, I've decided to:
1)get better at driving
2)get cutouts*

*to get cutouts, I think the best way is to get LTs and the y-pipe with 2 cutouts built in. THen I'll need O2 sensor wire extensions or something like that which will cost (altogether) $1500 plus shipping.

And thank you guys for the good luck wishes.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:36 PM
yak
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well I think you can only use one cutout in the I pipe because the exhaust needs to equalize before it can dump. definately learn how to drive that thing, when I first got mine I was coming out of school and floored it, back end kicked out, I overcorrected and the car swapped ends and slid off the road, luckily no one was injured and my car was not damaged. It was scary as ****. However if you do have this happen to you people will know that your car has ***** because not any old car can spin out on dry pavement and make some huge *** tire marks and a boatload of smoke I am in no way condoning this sort of stupid ****, because when I got home I felt like ****
Old 05-18-2005, 07:42 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by yak
Well I think you can only use one cutout in the I pipe because the exhaust needs to equalize before it can dump. definately learn how to drive that thing, when I first got mine I was coming out of school and floored it, back end kicked out, I overcorrected and the car swapped ends and slid off the road, luckily no one was injured and my car was not damaged. It was scary as ****. However if you do have this happen to you people will know that your car has ***** because not any old car can spin out on dry pavement and make some huge *** tire marks and a boatload of smoke I am in no way condoning this sort of stupid ****, because when I got home I felt like ****
People will know your car has ***** because you lost control (on dry pavement) trying to show off and put it into a ditch? Puhlease.

This is the exact thing that just asks to be pointed out, and why "kids" just are NOT responsible enough to have a car like this much more often than not. You could have very easily seriously injured somebody.
Once in awhile somebody isn't so lucky when they lose control during their "learning respect" phase.

Keep this in mind you "kids"!
Old 05-18-2005, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by yak
Well I think you can only use one cutout in the I pipe because the exhaust needs to equalize before it can dump.

That's what I'm looking for/at.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:47 PM
Teching In

If all you want to do is beat him out the box go short shifter cam and giggle gas (nitrous) a meesley 75 shot will keep that evo on its toes
Old 05-18-2005, 07:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris hill
If all you want to do is beat him out the box go short shifter cam and giggle gas (nitrous) a meesley 75 shot will keep that evo on its toes
Bad advice. Have you read the whole thread? Not only is that not what he needs, it's more than he can afford. (if done even half right)
Old 05-18-2005, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

There is the EVO as well as a SR20 240SX. Im not afraid of either one, as the EVO guy cant drive and is stock, and the SR20 isnt tuned. THere is also a Miata with a small turbo, but he was fooling around too much in the parking lot and got his license taken away . A few LT1s reside there too. A ragged out A4 Camaro with SLP Loudmouths is the "king" which can beat the Miata. A LT1 T/A sometimes shows up. It has loudmouths and LTs and is a M6, and has some Torq Thrust 2s on it. THat MAY be faster than the EVO, but since it rarely shows up, I dont count it.

But if wanting to be the best/fastest in HS is immature and stupid, then disregard that statement. Ignore that and help me mod my stock LS1 regardless of age and reason.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Bad advice. Have you read the whole thread? Not only is that not what he needs, it's more than he can afford. (if done even half right)
Just did. Learn to drive the car man your young. Short shifter is a must.
then maybe some gears and a cam OR lid and exhaust not hard to install except the cam cam is going to be like 800 for cam and install so take your pic.
Old 05-18-2005, 08:53 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Chris hill
Just did. Learn to drive the car man your young. Short shifter is a must.
then maybe some gears and a cam OR lid and exhaust not hard to install except the cam cam is going to be like 800 for cam and install so take your pic.

You should get gears, a lid, and exhaust before you get a cam. Cam swap is almost always more than $800 with install.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Addict

ok everyone lets get real, it really comes down to the women hes going to pick up in that f body, and we all know f-bodies get a man WAY more *** than ANY import...thats my $0.02 .....drive on young one!! I love my 02 SS, and so do the ladies...
Old 05-18-2005, 09:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheRedPhoenix

That's what I'm looking for/at.

Just because you CAN put cutouts in the y-pipe doesn't mean it's the best idea. For your money constraints and car setup, I'd go I-pipe.

Anyway, speed shouldn't be the big deal. Get some nanowax on it, detail it out to death, and come to school carrying a car show trophy. IMO
Old 05-18-2005, 09:21 PM
12 Second Club

do the bolt-ons. My 18 yr old bro has a bolt-on SS with Nitto's running in the mud 12's. Aint many EVO's hanging with him. I would get some sticky tires, I use to run with 12 sec. cars with my LT1 w/ nitto's and muffler. Learn how to drive it!!
Old 05-18-2005, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by obrien24
I have a much better Idea. Start with bolt-ons, and learn how to drive the car. I am not trying to be an ***, but you really need to get alot of seat time and get comfortable with the car start thinking about h/c or s/c setups. The last thing you want is to wreck the car before you can really enjoy it.
Agreed - you already have a handful of a car for an inexperienced driver.