Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 or Automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 09:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i have an auto in my SS.i love it.

when i got a GTO i had to get a manual.both are equally fun to drive.
Old 05-22-2005, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive had nothing but auto's in my 3 previous camaros. but with my SS i made the jump to a m6, and for me personally, ill never go back to an auto in a sports car, its just too much fun going through the gears. When i drive one of the other camaros at my house with a auto, im going down the road feeling a little bored. I find myself fidgetting with stuff since i got nothing to do with my right hand since im usually shifting. The whole just mashing the gas doesnt do it for me anymore. I still catch myself going to hit the clutch in the autos once in a while. Force of habit. haha. But its all up to you in the end. Pick what you feel more comfortable with. and like some guys said, its still a ls1 powering the car so you cant go wrong with a4 or m6 with that engine attached to it.
Old 05-22-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I bought an M6 Camaro about two years ago and always had the thought in the back of my mind that maybe I should have bought an auto..... I drove an A4 not too long ago and I didn't enjoy driving it as much as my M6.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My honest answer is to drive both and decide for yourself. Every auto owner is of course going to say auto, m6 guys will say m6 only.

I also suggest the auto I have a converter in it and I love every second of it.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Hey man - I have both a '99 TA A4 and an '02 TA M6. I don't race either, only drive and baby them. It would be hard to have to choose one over the other. However, I will say this, when I am in the A4, I never put it in "D" and go, I am still shifting thru the gears manually, just not using the clutch. And it does sound cooler shifting using the clutch. Just my two cents.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I drive an M6, but i wish i would have gone auto. First of all, i hate downshifting a little bit, if at all. I don't race my car around or beat on it 2 much, so i am not the best manual driver. My friend took me for a ride in his stalled auto, and i was like . Auto's are so much easier, precise, and with a stall a blast to drive. This kid runs a 12.36 with 3500,cooler,shift kit, pulley, LT's, ORY, LCA's, TA, and nittos on stock rims(SS 17's). oh yea, 3.73's 2. Id be so happy with that time. Go auto man.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an M6 and the fun factor is better with the M6 in my view. Having said that, if you look around at the posts/threads on clutch problems, replacement clutch problems, slave problems, clutch master problems, clutch fliud overheating, pressure plate bolts backing out, clutch pedals sticking to the floor at high RPM's, and bent pushrods from missed gears and mistaken downshifts, and the cost of a new clutch kit, not to mention the fun you can have getting your M6 out of your car to replace the clutch, the A4 certainly does have it's advantages. Be a man. Buy the M6.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kenp
Be a man. Buy the M6.
Right.
Old 05-24-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jrp
ya, i suggest you drive both and decide for yourself...
That's the best advice I can give. I personally would never drive an automatic because I feel it takes away from the pure driving enjoyment but some people would hate to have an M6 so it's up to you.