Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M6 or Automatic??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2005, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M6 or Automatic??

Hello! After driving ,and being around my brother 2001 SS Camaro im hooked. Ive had some fast cars 87 Grandnational, 99 Mustang Gt, but the Ls1 rocks. Im getting a 2002 Ws6 Trans Am in a few months. He has the 6 speed in his SS, but he wishes he would have gotten an automatic. I love shifting gears, but ive heard good things about an automatic with a cam and a stall. Thinking of an automatic ,but i like racing around from the roll too. Any suggestions???
Old 05-21-2005, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When you say you like racing from a roll too, is that as well as drag racing? For dragging stalled autos are essentially supreme. From a roll autos need a big converter.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:47 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ya, i suggest you drive both and decide for yourself...
Old 05-21-2005, 08:50 PM
11 Second Club

If you can drive one with an M6 and one with an aftermarket converter that might be best. Using your first hand experience with the facts about how they tned to compare would be the best way to decide.

Of course, a lot of people arent' able to test drive or even ride in a stalled auto.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:53 PM
Teching In

I like racing from a dig better, but somtimes racing from a roll is fun. As far as driving i drive my brothers 01 SS somtimes its an M6 , i like it alot, but he tells me to get an automatic. Guess i need to drive an automatic.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:55 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Grantdc01
I like racing from a dig better, but somtimes racing from a roll is fun. As far as driving i drive my brothers 01 SS somtimes its an M6 , i like it alot, but he tells me to get an automatic. Guess i need to drive an automatic.
You need to drive a stalled auto.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:05 PM
TECH Regular

I think you will be happy with either, but it seems like more people with autos wish they bought the m6 than people with m6's wanting an auto. Nothing like rowing through the gears on a saturday afternoon. Beats the heck out of rush hour traffic.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:06 PM
Teching In

I have a 6-speed daily driven SS. IMO a auto can't come close. Its all about personal pref. My buddy has a stalled camaro and he loves it. But you might want to consider whether its gunna be a daily driver or not. Big stalls don't make the best daily drivers.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:08 PM
11 Second Club

Bah, big stalls make fine daily drivers. So do big cams.

That is also a personal preferance though.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:16 PM
10 Second Club

I had a stalled A4, and while the stall added alot to the fun factor it wasn't enuff for me to keep it in the long run, so I got rid of it for a M6, which is what I really wanted from the start. I'll never go back, banging gears is the ONLY way for "me" Good luck in whatever you choose, LS1s rock no matter which tranny.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
I had a stalled A4, and while the stall added alot to the fun factor it wasn't enuff for me to keep it in the long run, so I got rid of it for a M6, which is what I really wanted from the start. I'll never go back, banging gears is the ONLY way for "me" Good luck in whatever you choose, LS1s rock no matter which tranny.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:27 PM
11 Second Club

One point also a A4 will be easier on the rear end then a M6.

I wouldn't give up my A4.

Just add all the bolt ons, full exaust, cam, stall, gears and a trans-go shift kit and you will never look back.

Plus go into the street racing and kill stories section and look at all the great story's about how they lost the race because the missed a gear.

With the stall and a nicely set-up trans go shift kit you will have a blast.
Old 05-21-2005, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

It's really a matter of what you like, the way I looked at it was if you do alot of stop and go/city driving/lots of traffic jams, go with the auto, if you don't, go with the M6.
Either one is a good choice
Old 05-21-2005, 11:21 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
With the stall and a nicely set-up trans go shift kit you will have a blast.
I consider the transgo as important as the converter. At heart I'm a manual guy, but with the shift kit and a little tuning, the shifts are so satisfying ...
Old 05-21-2005, 11:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I consider the transgo as important as the converter. At heart I'm a manual guy, but with the shift kit and a little tuning, the shifts are so satisfying ...
I do not read too often about the shift. IMO it makes the auto more fun and better handling while improving shift response and helping to protect the trans in some ways.

What I like best about an auto with a shift kit is squaking the tires from a 1 to 2 shift at 45 mph. But be careful on a turn because it can throw the rear out.

M6 or A4? They are both great with an LS1...

Myself I am not interested in a stall but will be getting different gears.... I am thinking of swapping the 3.23 up a small notch to 3.42.

The choice between an A4 and M6 can be based on many things and you can like em both (I do) but it is gonna boil down to Your prefereence and the ONLY way to know what You like is to get experience with both.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1 BLOWN V8
I wouldn't give up my A4. Just add all the bolt ons, full exaust, cam, stall, gears and a trans-go shift kit and you will never look back.
Check out my sig, I DID do that, and ran some good times. But I'm happier now with my high 12 sec stock M6 (soon to be 420-450rwhp BTW ) MUCH more fun to drive. To each his own
Old 05-22-2005, 12:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BriancWS6
To each his own
Old 05-22-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Addict

Drive both and get the one you like better. An automatic would be better than a manual for the track, but it doesn't sound like you really want a car for the track. Personally I have always hated auto's in any car, and would never ever buy one. I love shifting through the gears and think cars sound sooo much better with a manual, but this is just personal preferance though. I have seen some pretty cool autos that would make great cars, but they just aren't for me.
Old 05-22-2005, 05:42 AM
TECH Resident

I have the auto, sometimes I wish I had gotten an M6 just to row through the gears, but then I have to worry about a new clutch when I get more power, missing a gear, rpm matching when downshifting ect... I would like one as a "sunday" car but I am too much of a putz and I'd miss a gear if I was racing which could result in bent pushrods... no thanks.

Either way, I have an amazing looking f-body and that's all that matters to me, I love this car with a passion.
Old 05-22-2005, 08:53 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Redneck Z
cars sound sooo much better with a manual
That is actually one of the only things I don't like about stalled autos. Stock is fine, but when you get a moderate to large stall on an auto it sounds different. Normal driving around the engine stays at almost the same rpm for as long as you are accelerating at a given rate. You have to give it enough gas to pass the stall speed before you get any real rise and fall. Not only is it just odd to be at the same pitch, but I don't like how it makes so much noise. When I inch past people at 3k rpm I wonder what they think cause it sounds like i'm really giving it some gas. They must be going , like I do when I hear the stupid a** civics go BUUUUUUZZZZZZZZZ!!! as they keep up with traffic.