Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Be nice to newbs!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Be nice to newbs!

Ive been noticiing a lot of the more seasoned members here being complete dicks to some of our newer members. WTF??? We have all been newbies once and there is no need to treat these guys like ********, or call them on the mistakes they make when they put up a post or thread. This site is a community that serves all our needs, and has been a great asset to me when i ran into problems.

Also, people who feel they need to tell someone to use the search function should realize that people with only 7 or so posts dont always know there is a search function.

I know we all tell each other off all the time, but regardless of what someone says to me, im not gonna leave, cause i know the value of this site and im not intimidated by everyones' knowledge like i used to be, but the same dosent go for some of the newer guys.

Gentlemen, there's no reason to be an ******* to a newb, especially if they are asking a genuine question, even if it is a dyno estimate, or lid question. Im pretty sure we've all asked at least one of those questions before.

So, be nice to the newbs, and help this site grow even larger.

Nathan
Old 06-02-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amen...
Old 06-02-2005, 01:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
Ive been noticiing a lot of the more seasoned members here being complete dicks to some of our newer members. WTF??? We have all been newbies once and there is no need to treat these guys like ********, or call them on the mistakes they make when they put up a post or thread. This site is a community that serves all our needs, and has been a great asset to me when i ran into problems.

Also, people who feel they need to tell someone to use the search function should realize that people with only 7 or so posts dont always know there is a search function.

I know we all tell each other off all the time, but regardless of what someone says to me, im not gonna leave, cause i know the value of this site and im not intimidated by everyones' knowledge like i used to be, but the same dosent go for some of the newer guys.

Gentlemen, there's no reason to be an ******* to a newb, especially if they are asking a genuine question, even if it is a dyno estimate, or lid question. Im pretty sure we've all asked at least one of those questions before.

So, be nice to the newbs, and help this site grow even larger.

Nathan

Old 06-02-2005, 01:48 PM
TECH Resident

AMEN... I hate the guys who are so quick to pull out the search card.. Sure questions are asked over and over and over, but you know diffrent people repsond to these questions and you can get a diffrent insight between each thread... If you do not like to read the common question thread guess what you do not have to look at them!!
Old 06-02-2005, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

good post man
Old 06-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Deranged Rat Fink

And being that the search function isn't working very well right now and Brains is on the Power Tour , it might be hard to use. Just a thought....
Old 06-02-2005, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Actually the thing that bothers me most is when people point out stupid crap and think they have owned you. Like you forgot a comma or you spelled that wrong. Who cares. If that is the best you can come up with, then you are best not to say anything at all and just let it go.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by badjuju342
And being that the search function isn't working very well right now and Brains is on the Power Tour , it might be hard to use. Just a thought....
I was wondering where he was. I've been trying to use it.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:28 PM
TECH Resident

worD~
Old 06-02-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah, good post. And I might add that some people don't mind answering so called 'dumb' questions. And it gives the recent newbie graduates a chance to answer questions that the 'experts' find to simple or mundane. So if you don't like someone's post then just move on- there are plenty of other people who don't mind taking the time to answer the 'dumb' newbie questions. And yes, suggest a search as well.
Old 06-02-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's like the knowledge chain.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:01 PM
Launching!

Often when you do a search, particularly with two key words you may find yourself wading throudh 250 or more posts, some with one of the keywords and some with both. Is there a way to use the search function so that both keywords have to be in a post for it to be included in the search results?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
It's like the knowledge chain.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

I concur.

Everybody picked up a wrench or a mouse for the first time at some point. The important thing is they looked up so somebody to see if it was good. Smile at the new guys and point them in the right direction.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:14 PM
TECH Junkie

The knowledge gained in reading an old discussion pales compared to the knowledge gained in discussing things. My $0.02.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

hey, im glad that there are a lot of people thinking along the same lines as myself. All I know is when I joined about a year ago, I asked all the "newb questions" and I dont think i got **** even once about it. I simply think that the same should go for guys that are new now. I highly encourage us informing the new guys about the search function, cause it has helped me a ton, but still i think that we can do that without being dicks. Keep up the good work guys. Us f-body owners gotta stick together, and help the new guys out!

Nathan
Old 06-02-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

I migrated to this site because of the immature attitude on the other LSx based sites. Lets keep this site professional and helpful, that's what makes us better then the rest.
Old 06-02-2005, 08:57 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,661 Likes on 1,191 Posts

I think I qualify as a “seasoned” member here. I’ve been around this site since day one, and LS1.com for years before that. I’ve been in this hobby for about 10 years, and I’ve had many different cars plus multiple LS1s modded to different levels. I’ve done tons of research in many different areas concerning these cars, and I’ve tried my best to help people whenever I can by offering the best advice possible.

Here is my take on this:

I agree that there is never ANY excuse to attack any member (new or not) or look down on them based on a question asked no matter how common or simple the topic might seem to others. It’s true that we all had to start somewhere, and asking questions is the best way to learn.

BUT, if someone posts bad/incorrect info then IMO it’s the responsibility of others who catch the error (and know for a fact that it’s an error) to post the correct info. Not to bash or degrade the original poster for the mistake (we all make mistakes), but to maintain the integrity of the site’s information. If incorrect tech information is left unchallenged it can lead to people ending up with even bigger problems than what they originally asked for help with, plus they may pass that same bad info along to others compounding the issue further. Not to mention, whenever that thread might come up during other members’ searches, then even more people might follow the same bad/wrong info.

Many new people that come to this site are learning about cars/LS1s for the first time, and they take what they read here as gold. Nothing is worse than trying to troubleshoot/mod/research an issue for the first time and getting led in the wrong direction. Granted, some questions can only be answered with an opinion in which case no one is really right or wrong, but if it’s a matter of facts and someone gives bad info, there is nothing wrong with posting the correct info in response. I don’t think anyone here would post bad info on purpose, but we all make mistakes/typos/oversights from time to time... a simple correction will do just fine, no need to bash anyone for a mistake.
Old 06-02-2005, 09:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's the most posts ever in a thread where I agreed with everyone.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by natronathon
Nathan
Which is exactly why you tell them. Maybe we should also post a link to the "getting started on LS1tech" thread?

It can and should be done in a manner that doesn't make the noob feel chastized, but some questions really shouldn't be asked. Not but two hours ago I read another "I have a basically stock car, is a cam/what cam is for me?" thread. I get kind of tired of those. I do make it a point to offer helpfull information besides the standard "Use the search button" reply as well.

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 06-02-2005 at 10:20 PM.