New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Country Trip!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005 | 07:17 PM
Teching In

I'm finally back in Los Angeles. It took me 39hrs to do the 2,700 mi. trip. It was a lot more demanding than I thought it was going to be. I only stooped to fill up and used the bathroom during the fill-ups, other that I was like a freight train, non-stop. I bought a case of water and Redbull, some no-doz, and cigarettes. It was the best and worst experience that I've had in a Camaro. The car is awesome and in nearly perfect condition,I had no problems with the car considering I was driving non-stop. Should I get an oil change or wait untill the oil light comes on. I'll probably get it anyway just to be safe. Here's some stuff that I noticed while on the trip. I averaged around 350mi. per tank, I'm not that fond of that SRS option- maybe I'll appreciate it later on in the future but I was trying to burnout just to see how it would respond and I got this low trac light and it felt like the car took over for a while, my car would steer when I hit a bump and the wheel would vibrate when I would brake at medim to high speeds. Any feedback to these symptoms. Anyway, other than that the car performed above my expectations and I received so many compliments on it, I'll try to post some pics as soon as I can. Thanks everyone for the tips, they really helped.
Old 07-05-2005 | 07:23 PM
11 Second Club

Glad to hear you made it back. 39 hours! You just kept going and going and going.....................and going.........

Don't wait for the oil light. Since you just got the car and put miles on it, change the oil/filter. Do a search in the internal and new enthusisasts section to find out what oil/filter to use. Cliffnotes on that: fram filters bad, synthetic oils good.

SRS? That is supplemental restraint system, meaning airbag.

If you got the low traction light you must have had ASR (acceleration slip regulation, aka traction control) turned on. On is default setting every time the car is turned on. You also see that light when abs activates.

The shaking wheel sounds like warped rotors. Happens pretty easily. If you wait long enough they will crack too. You can replace them with brembo blanks which are OE replacement or autozone duralasts. Neither are expensive and will work as good or better than stock without warping. I recommend hawk HPS pads as well. I just changed over to brembo blanks/hawk hps pads this weekend and the improvement is nice. My 59k miles stock brakes were in **** poor shape.
Old 07-05-2005 | 10:57 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tips, I'll definitely look into those at my local autozone.
Old 07-06-2005 | 03:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That is an very good avg. speed to cross the country in...69mph. I assume that is just actual driving time and not 39 hours of straight running(i.e. cannonball run)?

Glad you made it safely, and get those pictures up.
Old 07-08-2005 | 01:59 AM
Teching In

Actually that was 39 hours of non-stop driving. Only stopped for gas and bathroom breaks. I only ate twice while on the trip and was hyped up on no doz, ciggarettes, and red bull most of the time. Now that I think about it it really seemed crazy anf foolish to do and something I dont ever plan on doing again under those circumstances. As far as the pics, could anyone walk me through? I took some preety good pics today.
Old 07-09-2005 | 04:42 PM
Banned

Take time out to rest, and enjoy yourself.
Old 07-09-2005 | 06:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I picked my car up in Houston and drove it to San Antonio to stay with a friend the day we picked it up. Then drove all the next day from San Antonio to Phoenix. Only nerve racking thing were the tires. They were shot and by the time I got home the cord was showing through on one of them. In hind sight, I should have bought some new tires in Houston or San Antonio, but I was planning to go with different size rims and didn't want to waste money on tires I was not going to keep. Just make sure the tires look OK, if not, head to a tire place and get new ones. A blown tire can really do a number on your car.
Old 07-09-2005 | 07:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Congrats on the new ride and glad to hear you made it back safely. Like said above, get the oil changed and sounds like you need new rotors