New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

revving the motor and it starts to smoke...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2005, 09:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default revving the motor and it starts to smoke...

My question is that when i rev the engine, past the 3 grand (in park on a A4 2000 Z28) and keep revving it to the red line, it starts to puff a cloud of smoke from the tail pipes, i was wondering if this was normal or what, also i know that the ls1's are known for bent pushrods, but that really occurs on the M6's or dose it?.... anyways please help, i want to make sure that im not messing anything up or worse, making it worse,,...... please help!! oh and i'll stop the revving, even though the whole car shakes and and jumps when i do that, love it, specially when every one looks and backs away, stupid ricers.
Old 07-09-2005, 10:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What color is the smoke? If it's blue colored that's oil burning= bad!!! If it's black colored that's more likely carbon build up and is not a big deal. If it's white that usually is too much gas= too rich. This is true with older motors anyway, I figure it's the same for the LS1's too.
Old 07-09-2005, 11:40 PM
TECH Regular

LS1's arent "known" to bend pushrods, LS1's are known to be raced alot and sometimes you grab the wrong gear and that bends the pushrods. (just wanted to clarify that as far as I know LS1's dont bend pushrods anymore than anyother engine that gets raced alot) And you shouldnt have to worry about that in an A4.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sycotic_reject
My question is that when i rev the engine, past the 3 grand (in park on a A4 2000 Z28) and keep revving it to the red line
Were you giving it a red neck tune?
Old 07-10-2005, 09:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SporkLover
Were you giving it a red neck tune?
LOL
Na i was just showing off to the ricers that they aint got nuttin on the car, I was at the Churches, (friend works there and i was showing it to him) then like theres a bunch of ghetto rice riding around, rev rev and they all look straight ahead trying to avoid the cars sounds, even if they avoid it the car is rocking left to right with the motor torque so its funn anyways, lol red neck tune lol .
Oh the smoke coiming from the tail pipes is like grayish, not blue or white so if that would help out alil. yeah i remember my old cars, i used to have a 65 impala then a 65 C10 then a few other ones, they all smoked alil when you got that high in the revs but i was just wondering if that was they same with the ls1's ( my first fuel injected car that im tinkering with) thanks for every ones input!!
Old 07-10-2005, 12:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive seen plenty of ls1's on dynos, and when at high rpm they will give a buff of smoke.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

alright great cuss i was wondering if i was messing anything up, also will that help blow out some build up of anykind? i know that a RX7 has to be reved to 9g's once in a while because of carbon build up on the rotors and i was wondering if that would ever happen, but to the exaughst valves, thanks again!

Quick Reply: revving the motor and it starts to smoke...