Looking for 400 horsies

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005 | 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

no thanks on the gears, remember daily driver
Old 07-13-2005 | 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ABadMother1999
I just recently did a .580ish lift cam (u could probably get one on the forums for 250), ls6 intake (300ish), lid (75ish), ported and polished tb (75ish), headers and oryp (400), Catback if u want (I did hooker for like 300shipped new i think) Then maybe a stall, (im guessing 400ish) Thats about 1800 in parts, now start reading on how to do the work and find a buddy who is expirenced to help pay him like 200 bucks and theres 2000.
I love it when people list prices like this. Not really.....

For a cam swap give yourself a $1k budget for parts.
New LS6 intakes are at least $400. You can wait till a used intake shows up at a good price.
Lid is usually around $100
Headers AND ORY are more like $500 minimum for anything worthwhile.
Cat-back for $300 absolute min.
Figure $470+ for a conveter, $55 for cooler, $75 for pillar mount with gauge and $100 for shift kit.
$280 for drag radials to make any use of the power
$450 for tune.

Total: $3,645. You can cut money off that with group purchases and sales, but you could just as easily spend MORE by getting anything other than the most "affordable" parts. And then labor, fluids, tools....

Last edited by blkZ28spt; 07-13-2005 at 05:28 PM.
Old 07-13-2005 | 05:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Luna
Hey guys and gals I am looking to get serious about increasing the performance of my Formula
no thanks on the gears, remember daily driver

If you don't want to change gears b/c of it's daily driver status you are going to have a hard time getting "serious" with your performance increase.
Old 07-13-2005 | 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

hows this... more serious

The gears will come eventually just probably not until I get a better paying job and can afford the gears and the extra gas its going to cost me.

Also are hooker LTs and ORY any good ? I figured they are the best bet since I have a hooker catback and everything should fit real nice. Also I have read a few ppl that need a tune VERY badly after installing headers and ORY is this always the case ? Because I am looking to do headers ory and lid possibly within the next few months and am wondering if I need to budget for a tune or maybe I should wait and not waste my money getting it retuned after a h/c swap

Last edited by Luna; 07-13-2005 at 05:51 PM.
Old 07-13-2005 | 06:13 PM
12 Second Club

Also I have read a few ppl that need a tune VERY badly after installing headers and ORY is this always the case ? Because I am looking to do headers ory and lid possibly within the next few months and am wondering if I need to budget for a tune or maybe I should wait and not waste my money getting it retuned after a h/c swap
I didn't require a tune after my LT's for drivablility, heck I didn't even need one for drivability after my cam. For power's sake, however, you will need a tune. Of course, it makes no sense to mod, tune, mod, tune, so you should wait until after your H/C for the tune.
Old 07-13-2005 | 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Also are hooker LTs and ORY any good ?
They are IMO.

Also I have read a few ppl that need a tune VERY badly after installing headers and ORY is this always the case ?
Absolutely not. You don't normally need a tune very badly until you swap cams or go with a power adder.

Just wait till you swap cams to do the tune. Do keep in mind, for future reference, that most shops will not charge you the same amount of money for a tune when you have already had them do it once.

Quick Reply: Looking for 400 horsies