New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just purchased a functional SS hood..??

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2005, 01:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stock ss hoods are functional. Look at them, I have gained power. Not much but some.(which is all that matters.) and gotten better gas mileage. Its funny that none of you posting own an SS. Im not trying to be an ***, but there is a difference between an OEM SS hood and a after-market one. The ram-air intake kit just helps direct the air, not do everything. The hood itself is indeed functional, in that it directs the air back around into the intake. The intake kit, just controls the air.

David
Old 07-29-2005, 01:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

The hood I just picked up I'm pretty sure is functional. The underside is smooth, and has "Made in Canada" as well as a Patent number inscribed on it. Would an SS have that intake kit from the factory? Would I get much better airflow than I would with just a lid?
Old 07-29-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camarodave98
I have gained power.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoldenBird
The hood I just picked up I'm pretty sure is functional. The underside is smooth, and has "Made in Canada" as well as a Patent number inscribed on it. Would an SS have that intake kit from the factory? Would I get much better airflow than I would with just a lid?
Thats what I was trying to find out for myself, but all I get is people who think SS hoods serve no purpose. Where are all the SS guys????
Old 07-29-2005, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

stock ss hoods are functional. Look at them, I have gained power. Not much but some.(which is all that matters.) and gotten better gas mileage. Its funny that none of you posting own an SS. Im not trying to be an ***, but there is a difference between an OEM SS hood and a after-market one. The ram-air intake kit just helps direct the air, not do everything. The hood itself is indeed functional, in that it directs the air back around into the intake. The intake kit, just controls the air.

David
You didn't gain any power, it's in your head. That's just like throwing a K&N filter on and saying "woo WOOO! I gained power!" Better gas mileage? Come on man, SS hoods aren't magic

I have 4 or 5 local friends with SS cars, and one guy with an LT1 with an OEM SS hood. All of them agree that they are not gaining anything from their stock SS hoods, except appearance. I have looked at many SS hoods, as I wanted one for my Z28 as well. I've decided to go with a different style, since the SS hood won't do anything for me. Like what was said earlier, if you want a ram air kit, get a Super Sucker or a Fast Toys kit
Old 07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an aftermarket Suncoast Creations SS hood and it has the full ram-air ducting. Ater taking a good look at the route the air would traverse, I kept my FTRA and lid...my $.02
Old 07-29-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

strahley-

thank you for your ignorant response. I guess you know my car better than myself since you know some one that has an SS. If you have nothing intelligent to say, dont post in my thread.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-29-2005, 01:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For those of you that insist that there is no difference in a functional and non-functional ss hood, please use the SEARCH key. This topic has been discussed. I am not saying an SS hood is like a turbo. I know its not making any major power. But it IS indeed functional, its a proven fact. Whether you choose to believe or not, oh well.

....and to GoldenBird...we need to seal the airbox, or get the fast toys ram-air kit to help direct the air, talked to some local performance shops.
Old 07-29-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Junkie

The only difference is someone telling you one is functional and one is not. Think about the path that the air has to travel in order to get to the air box. I'll explain it for you...

The underhood of a car is very hot....
Air enters the opening in the SS hood roughly above the intake manifold....which will be warm to the touch, the air is still the same temp as the outside air at this point. After entering the air must make a 180* turn to go back to the front of the air lid. The air is now traveling through duct work that is part of an OEM SS hood. This duct work is warm to the touch (ever noticed that the hood of your car is very warm to the touch after the car has been running?) the air that is traveling through this ducting absorbes some of this heat (warm things like to dissipate their warmth to cooler things, in this case the air being routed back to the front of the car). The air is now hotter than it was when it entered the hood, and is warmer than air that could be picked up from the front of the car. Now the air must make another 180* turn back into the air box....

And you're telling me you gained performance from this hood? You, sir, are an idiot. You did gain a nice appearance mod, and i'll admit that to you. You also say you need a FTRA to help direct the air....did you know that the FTRA will block of the front of your air box....and all that performance you gained from your SS hood will be lost. I will admit that the hood is functional in that it can direct air to the air box....however there is no performance to be gained.

[/story]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Good god I cant believe people actually believe they gain anything from an SS hood except the way it looks. I gaurantee you gained absolutely no power from the hood and I mean nothing. Run your car at the track with the Z28 hood and then again with the SS hood and tell me what you think. Check sig for my car type.

**EDIT**

Open your hood and take an air hose from a generator set at about 60 psi and blow it on the front of your hood and feel the slot where its supposed to come out and then tell me what you think.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by necrocannibal
Good god I cant believe people actually believe they gain anything from an SS hood except the way it looks. I gaurantee you gained absolutely no power from the hood and I mean nothing. Run your car at the track with the Z28 hood and then again with the SS hood and tell me what you think. Check sig for my car type.

**EDIT**

Open your hood and take an air hose from a generator set at about 60 psi and blow it on the front of your hood and feel the slot where its supposed to come out and then tell me what you think.
There ya go camarodave, straight outta the mouth of an 500hp SS owner.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GoldenBird

I'm laughing with you, Bird.
You have to get the air from the opening in the top of the hood, the "scoop" I call it, into the engine's intake opening. Right now, if what you said in your last post is true, your air is coming from the front of the car. The air that is coming through the top of the hood is just blowing around in your engine bay.

So, while these guys argue about how functional a SS hood is or isn't (happens every time someone makes a post about SS hoods. I've read through 4 or 5), I'm sure we'll all agree that if you have the hood, you need to get the induction box, or whatever it is called.

For the love of Pete, I can't believe I can't find and pictures of an SS with it's hood open. Someone show this poor guy.
Old 07-29-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Dude, I drive a WS6 and I dont think even my hood does **** for me.

It might let a little more cold air in, but compared to how much comes from underneath its totally insignificant.

A ricer once told me that every 10 mph I go over 100mph I gain 10 horses
Old 07-29-2005, 08:27 PM
Launching!

I'm happy with my new SS hood I paid $350 for brand new.....apprearance mod or not!!! lol
Old 07-29-2005, 08:32 PM
Teching In

ive got the harwood fiberglass ss hood on my 00 z-28 i cut out the plug in the ss scoop and it does flow quite a bit of air through it my guess is it would be the best in the top end of the quarter but i havent had it to the track yet with the hood more air = more power duh
Old 07-29-2005, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I cant believe this is an argument after my original simple question....FUNCTIONAL IS FUNCTIONAL! Whether how much air is taken in or at what tempature is irrelavent. The fact is that it does! You "experts" are telling me there is NO difference between a SS hood with the air "channels" underneath we will call them, and a aftermarket SS hood with no opening in the scoop? Please...So if you dont have an answer to my original post, please stop posting YOUR opinion of whether its functional or not. Thats not what I asked in my original question on this thread. If you insist on arguing that mute point, take it to your own thread!
Old 07-29-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

This thread is like beating a dead horse. Theres no point. If you want to beat the topic to death about it being functional, then yes its function. It gives your car a sweet look, it covers your engine. So in answer to your question, to make it functional, I'd suggest its painted, which you said it is, and also make sure you have the proper bolts to attatch it. Other than that, no aditional parts needed my friend.

stock ss hoods are functional. Look at them, I have gained power. Not much but some.(which is all that matters.) and gotten better gas mileage.

David

Do you often calibrate your *** dyno?
Old 07-30-2005, 12:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zymosis
This thread is like beating a dead horse. Theres no point. If you want to beat the topic to death about it being functional, then yes its function. It gives your car a sweet look, it covers your engine. So in answer to your question, to make it functional, I'd suggest its painted, which you said it is, and also make sure you have the proper bolts to attatch it. Other than that, no aditional parts needed my friend.

why did you just post this? Just to be an *******? If its like beating a dead horse then get a life and stop posting your unwanted opinion.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Zymosis
Old 07-30-2005, 03:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

No one is disputing the fact that the hood is functional as opposed to one with just the opening. It obviously is going to direct some air down in front of the airbox. That is it's function, which it serves without question.

You said you gained power, that is crap. I doubt that my FRA even adds any horsepower and it's ramming a hell of alot more air into the filter than any hood. BTW I change the paper filter with every oil change and periodically remove any large bugs that were rammed into the filter.

SS hoods look mean as hell though.

Quick Reply: Just purchased a functional SS hood..??