New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do You Pay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2005, 02:32 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i first got my 1999 TA i was 20 and had geico. well i was paying 775 a month for the 1st 2 months and 550 after that and like a dumbsh!t i paid it without searching around for 4 months. well i go though progressive now and im 21 paying 290 a month and ive never been in a wreck and only 1 ticket when i was 16, (seatbelt). insurance companies WILL try to screw you over but your best bet is just get as many quotes as possible. i would guess your rate would be around 350 a month respectivly. and also both rates i had was with a 500 deductable full coverage
Old 07-19-2005, 02:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Im 22, almost 23 (in one week), I pay 160 mnth with $250 deductibles, and I have really high coverage. I would rather have people go after my insurance than anything I own or myself, so I made sure my insurance was really high to make it a target rather than me....
im 22 and i pay 170 a month for my gto for full coverage with 250 deductable
Would like to know more on your policies please.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

get it under your dads name
my 97 dakota and 99 camaro = 200 a month

also that TA for 8k was a steal, but my z was cheaper heh
Old 07-19-2005, 03:28 AM
On The Tree

I pay 101 a month with Progressive for full coverage. I'm 19 and on my parents' policy. Not sure on the deductible, probably 500. No tickets, 1 accident. Some older lady rear-ended me(in the winter beater). Not sure if that made any difference on my rates.
Old 07-19-2005, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by byrontaylor
Would like to know more on your policies please.
I'll have to dig up the policy for exact numbers, but here is what I do know:

I go through Country financial, I have excellent credit almost 800, and a 7 year credit history with no late payments and early payoffs (mostly because my parents helped by getting a credit card for me when I was in college), and I am in the Preferred insurance category with Country Financial.

Remember that credit has almost as big of an impact on your premium as your driving record, if either of them is bad, or if you don't have credit, you should hold off on buying the expensive to insure cars until you establish it.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know if you wreck that Z28 or SS that the Insurance Co is going to offer you about 6 or 7 thousand for it. I was paying $1900 a year for full coverage and after a friend totaled his car (not his fault) they try to give you nothing for it after all a 98 is 7 years old now is one of their favorite lines. I have been paying $ 150.00 a year now for Liability and thats the way I would go. After 3 to 4 years you have already paid them enough to pay for it anyway. Insurance Co. use you credit record to base your
Insurance rates along with your driving record. So you could have a perfect driving record and still pay high rates because you have a bad Credit Score. Ain't that a CROCK! They also told me that if I sell my truck my rates would go up too! Since I am getting a 2 car discount. And I'm single and the only driver on my policys.
Old 07-19-2005, 09:48 AM
9 Second Club

I envy you guys, there have been a few posts on this topic over the years and I'm still the worst

For my 2002 Z06 full coverage and my 96 blazer with only liability I pay around 680 a month and that is better than I used to pay. My blazer with liability is only like $75 of that.

I used to have an '01 WS6 with full coverage and a '97 jeep wrangler with only liabiliy and I was paying almost $850 a month.

In case your wondering, my driving record reads like a novel. 14+ speeding tickets, 4 of which are over triple digit speeds, driving with a suspended license, driving to endanger, to fast for conditions and many tickets for faulty equipment, like no front plate, exhaust too loud, etc. I've lost my license around 6 times, but I've never gotten a DUI and I've never been in an accident. I've tried to lower my insurance many times but most insurance companies won't even take me. I'm in the assigned risk pool and this is the best that I've been able to come up with.

Oh yeah and I'm 22, single with excellent credit and live in a rural area with generally low ins. rates

Last edited by Nautilus; 07-19-2005 at 09:55 AM.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I work for Progressive and you can't compare one person's policy to another. There are too many factors that are used to calculate your rates. Your credit is pulled, being young and having no credit doesn't help. What state you live in matters. You all would be surprised how different each state is with their requirements. What Liability limits you carry and what other coverages are required by your state play a factor. What your previous insurance history is plays a factor in what market you fall into. Multi-car discount helps a lot, but does no good if you only have one car. There can be a big difference between different companies for the same coverage limits. Shop around. There's a difference in rates between Progressive Direct and Drive Insurance from Progressive. (We're the same company when it comes to claims payouts) The zip code that you live in is one of the main determing factors for premium (at least with Progressive). I've seen people move across the street and live in a different zip code and their policies almost doubled. Depending on the company, how the rate their drivers makes a difference. Some companies use a Household factor ratio where some companies rate a driver to a car. I work for Progressive but I have Geico insurance. We get no discounts and Geico was cheaper for me. Good luck, don't get discouraged. Take your time and shop around. Go online for quotes.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Regular

I'm almost 22; my car is still listed under my parents. I have a few moving violations that will be gone before I'm 22. My parents have my brother and sister on their insurance and we all have multiple cars. I pay $270 for six months liability on the '02 T/A. It is the same as my '83 chev pickup and my bike is $285 per year.

My brother is 17 with a clean record and pays about $100 per month for his '99 Firebird under the parents.
Old 07-19-2005, 10:32 AM
Launching!

I pay 240 a month for mine and I just turned 19... If my mom would just let me put it in her name my monthly payments would be 54 a month for a 1978 olds and a 1999 z28... To bad she is all about making me learn the life of an adult lol! Try and get your parents to put it under thier name and not even put you as a primary. Make u secondary on all your cars! My friend does it and he has really low payments!

Goodluck!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

23 and I only pay 42.92 bones a month

$257.50 for a 6-month term

Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 Each Person
$300,000 Each Occurrence
Property Damage Liability $100,000 Each Occurrence
Uninsured Motorists - Bodily Injury $100,000 Each Person
$300,000 Each Accident
Medical Expense $1,000 Each Person
Emergency Road Service
Collision Deductible: $500
Comprehensive Deductible: $500

Air Bag Discount
Multiple Vehicle Discount
Auto And Home Premium Advantage Discount

I pay a total of 133.80 a month for all three of my vehicles, the firebird being the newest, most sporty ( and powerful ) and the cheapest to insure =/ go figure!
Old 07-19-2005, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im on my own policy at 20 and i pay 292 a month for my v6..thats with an outrageous $2000 deductible to get the payments lower...its rediculous but the car is in my name and so is the insurance and no multi car...the ta im getting will be under my moms insurance and im gonna pay her to avoid costs...its also under state farm..cheapest i could find

Last edited by 3pnt4maro; 07-19-2005 at 02:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 3pnt4maro
Im on my own policy at 20 and i pay 292 a month for my v6..thats with an outrageous $2000 deductible to get the payments lower...its rediculous but the car is in my name and so is the insurance and no multi car...the ta im getting will be under my moms insurance and im gonna pay her to avoid costs...its also under state farm..cheapest i could find
Holy Shitake Mushrooms!!!! 2k Deductible?

If I were in your shoes, the cons would have definitely outweighed the benefits of owning an Fbody, and I would be pimping a Festiva.
Old 07-19-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah but i just couldnt do it...i couldnt see myself driving an accord or something like that..my other camaro was paid off and i paid $90 a month on insurance and i traded it in on my new one...i was hit three days after i got the car and hadnt even signed the contract on it yet..i got a lawsuit for the injuries i received in the accident and with my settlement the v6 will be paid off and i will be getting my long awaited trans am..(this is my second camaro) so with that said..both will be able to be put under my mothers insurance since they will both be paid off and i can put the titles in her name..only downfall now is the title to the v6 is in my name so the ins. has to be to..i was living on my own at the time and screwed myself over..oh well ya live ya learn
Old 07-19-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by FelixIlka
23 and I only pay 42.92 bones a month

$257.50 for a 6-month term

Bodily Injury Liability $100,000 Each Person
$300,000 Each Occurrence
Property Damage Liability $100,000 Each Occurrence
Uninsured Motorists - Bodily Injury $100,000 Each Person
$300,000 Each Accident
Medical Expense $1,000 Each Person
Emergency Road Service
Collision Deductible: $500
Comprehensive Deductible: $500

Air Bag Discount
Multiple Vehicle Discount
Auto And Home Premium Advantage Discount

I pay a total of 133.80 a month for all three of my vehicles, the firebird being the newest, most sporty ( and powerful ) and the cheapest to insure =/ go figure!
You are so lucky!!! Enjoy that payment.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

yeah you are lucky enjoy it for the rest of us
Old 07-19-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Run a carfax on the one for 8k if its clean buy it and dont worry about insurance since you won't need collision you should be able to afford enough to keep it legal. If you are going for the one for 12k then 540 does seem high. I was going to finance my car which would have put me at almost 400/mo for full coverage. Which I definetely couldnt afford. But if the carfax is clean on the first one then get someone to look at it and if all is well go for it!
Old 07-19-2005, 05:45 PM
Teching In

i work at a mercedes dealership so i know a lot of mechanics and i got one to run a diagnostics on it and do a basic check and it seems to be checking out so far. vin #'s all match. a 98 w/ 40k miles seems like a real good deal. unfortunatley my rents arent to interested in helping me since they are against me getting another car. The guy at the pontiac dealership is suggesting i try one of the v6 F-bodies. he says there plenty quick and i might be able to save a lil bit. The idea of getting a personal loan dosent sound too bad if the bank will buy into me needing one. I just hate driving these girly 4 banger cars around. they make me feel like a wuss. do u think the v6 F-bodies are even a good subsitute or should i hold out and wait for the ls-1.
Old 07-19-2005, 05:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Definantly hold out for the LS1!!!
Old 07-19-2005, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok lemme chime in as i can speak from alot of experience on this one..im on my second six banger camaro and i loved my last one (3.4l) and stepping up to the 3800 was worlds of difference but since i joined GAFBA.COM and became an active F-Body enthusiast lemme say go ahead and opt for the v8..you wont regret it and youwont look back...im carsitting my friends 1994 LT1 Z28 while she is in Parris Island for the marines and I love driving the car its worlds of difference compared to the sixer but when i first drove the ls1 nothing compared...i cant begin to describe how it makes you feel..as i mentioned in another thread im fixing to purchase my dream car a 01 T/A and have been doing research and what not and its a moment i cant wait for..been driving the sixers cause of insurance since i was 15, im 20 now and the itch has gotten me too bad..i regret not getting a v8 to begin with, cause it would almost be paid off by now..but i will respect the ls1 a hell of a lot more once i get it and be quite satisfied with it...well at least until its time to mod..go for the big boy!!!