Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First mod that I should get

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 10:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FUN LS1
What you might think about doing is coming up with a plan. Figure out what your goals are, 11 seconds, lift the front end off the ground, 400+ rwhp, etc. Mods are like potato chips, you can't stop at just one (none of us did...) so think in terms of several mods, and how they can compliment each other. You don't want to spend a wad of dough on some mod that doesn't contribute to the goal or worse, goes against it. Then start planning the order you want to do your mods. For example, you'll get a good power boost and a lot of grins out of headers and cat back exhaust, but what's more important is that you'll be set up to get more HP out the Head & Cam swap down the road. What I'm saying is you could jump right in and go for a cam swap right away, knowing nothing about what it'll really mean down the road, or you can lay the ground work for an awesome ride by taking care of some pre-requisites first. The most important aspect of most engine bolt-ons is that their designed to get more air through the engine. How do you do that? You start by adding Cold air induction or Ram Air and getting grid of those stock baffles by the air box. This allows more into the engine. Next go for the headers and cat back exhaust, you'll get more air out. Now you're ready to take advantage of a bigger cam and ported/bigger heads. Once you're making some horsepower and torque, you might want to add some stuff like sub frame connectors and adjutable torque arms, 4.10 gears, etc.

I have just bolt-ons right now, and dynoed at 335 rwhp (~390 fwhp). The order I did mine was:

1. Cold Air Induction (cai)
2. Hi FLow Air box Lid (lid)
3. 160* thermostat
4. LoudMouth Exhaust
5. Long Tube Headers (if you get to headers, have them change the plugs while they're down there. They're a bitch otherwise. I got NGK TR55 IX and Taylor 8.5)
6. I also picked up almost 30 rwhp from a hand-help tuner (DiabloSport Predator), but I would have picked up a lot less if I hadn't already added intake and exhaust bolt-ons.

Now I'm ready for the Cam Swap and higher ratio gears in the rear end...

Good Luck!
This is really good advice, have a goal and stick to it. Don't just senselessly throw parts on your car. What do you want? Since you'll be driving the car, I'm sure you'll want to keep it streetable. By streetable we mean road manners. Factors such as volume, mileage, comfort, etc. etc. Any mod done to these cars has an effect on driveability in one way or another, some big and some small, some good and some bad. The whole car works as a system and improving one area will just show a weakness in another. My goal before I had my car was to just have a Trans Am with a Flowmaster muffler. I've gone much further than that, don't even have a Flowmaster, and have many more mods planned. For example, my goal is to have a fully equipped car that break 11's on 100 shot of nitrous and 12's cam only that can still get groceries if need be. With some research on this board, I've found this is very possible.

Tell us your goals and budget (most important) and we'll help you out.
Old 08-01-2005, 10:46 PM
11 Second Club

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

i'd say get a lid first thing.....but i would also recommend to watch the for sale section on here...people are nice and will hook you up with parts for cheap....atlesat cheaper...also read all of the stickies in JRP's signature also thats a HUGE help...dont just go and buy parts from your local shop....RESEARCH before ya do anything
Old 08-01-2005, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Definetly, and also try to get on a local board and find out if anyone does pirate mods. Also do the free mods, they will help and you won't have to spend near as much as you would with buying some of the other stuff.
Old 08-02-2005, 02:41 AM
TECH Addict

Lid then true duals and headers
Old 08-02-2005, 03:46 AM
Teching In

All these guys have very good ideas but my 2 cents would be do your LCAs, panhard bar, SFCs and torque arm and then do lid and full exhaust like they are saying that would be the best route I think. With this you stuff you would hook better of the line when you do race.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:56 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, I just bought a WS6 Trans Am, M6, and the guy before me had put on a Lid, Grantelli (something like that) mass air flow sensor, SLP Y-pipe, and an old school SLP exhaust (it has 2 pipes coming out 1 side,called SLP and they said it was one of there better exhausts.) What mod should I do next? I was thinking a smooth bellow to get rid of the nasty ribbed one. Also, do I need a cold air intake kit if I already have a Ram Air? And yes, I am looking for power. I live in NJ, so I think emissions are stupid and I need CATs on my car. Thanks
Old 08-02-2005, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

I have had my m6 Z28 for about two years and left it stock down to the paper air filter. I always new i wanted to mod the hell out of it to make it a "better" car in my eyes. So last week as first mods i ordered heads, headers, ORY, SFC, a lid and a cam at the same time. I am gald i saved my money to do every thing at once.
Old 08-02-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Ok, I just bought a WS6 Trans Am, M6, and the guy before me had put on a Lid, Grantelli (something like that) mass air flow sensor, SLP Y-pipe, and an old school SLP exhaust (it has 2 pipes coming out 1 side,called SLP and they said it was one of there better exhausts.) What mod should I do next? I was thinking a smooth bellow to get rid of the nasty ribbed one. Also, do I need a cold air intake kit if I already have a Ram Air? And yes, I am looking for power. I live in NJ, so I think emissions are stupid and I need CATs on my car. Thanks
Swap the Granitelli for a stock MAF. If you really want the bellow, use the Fernco one, but the bellow is more for bling than HP. Ram Air = CAI.

Pick up a copy of Flashscan/EFILive (www.efilive.com) and delete the codes for cats and you will be well on your way
Old 08-02-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is the stock MAF sensor really better then the Granttelli (dont know how to spell it lol)? And getting a cold air intake would still work even though I have a ram air hood? Smooth bellows dont really do much?
Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aaron653
my car is supposed to have 305 hp stock so I would only pick up about 30 hp by doing all of that?
It might be 305 (320 RA) at the flywheel stock, but most stock LS1s dyno below 300 (on a Mustang [not the pokey little ford] dyno anyway...). Mine was something like 270-285 REAR WHEEL hp (don't confuse FLY WHEEL hp, which is used in most marketing crap, with REAR WHEEL hp). 335 RWHP equates to about (1.15 x 335) 385 hp at the flywheel, considerably more than the 305 stock, and is in the good range of expected HP increase for the mods I have. (unless anyone else want's slap me down with better bolt-only numbers...)

Last edited by FUN LS1; 08-02-2005 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nikeair042
Is the stock MAF sensor really better then the Granttelli (dont know how to spell it lol)? And getting a cold air intake would still work even though I have a ram air hood? Smooth bellows dont really do much?
If you really have Ram Air, not just the Raptor hood for a stock air box, then you don't need Cold Aid Induction. You've got it. You can tell for sure, because the real Ram Air box is open on the top, where the filter sits, and when you close the hood it mates up with the top of the air box, so that air travels down from the hood through the air box into the TB.

Most after market CAI kits use identical scoops that are mounted under a hole you cut in the bottom of the stock air box, and it sits in front of the air dam pointing down.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bo White
Sub-frame connectors, they are the gift that keeps on givin lol. This is the very first thing I do(and did) to any car that I get(or have got). A4= Automatic 4 speed, M6= Manual 6 speed
Ditto on the SFC very important for and f-body!!!! The first thing i did for my SSS 35thle!!!!!
Old 08-02-2005, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

I love how everyone throws their 2 cent's in on the new guy; EVERY TIME! Look dude, get to know your car. Figure what you want to do with it, daily driver or project track car? Then go from there after you get the feel of your car and know for sure in your mind what you want to do with it. Otherwise you're throwing your money away.

Personnally, I started with the suspension on my car. The decision is up to you. Good luck.

Quick Reply: First mod that I should get