Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

best bang

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2005, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best bang

ok just want to know what would be the best mods for the cash.. the car is basically stock a4 now but wnat to do some easy mods... but want to dig into it too much... and by best i mean most gain on the street (best for rollon races) and most fun thanx

justin
Old 08-22-2005, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

Nawzzzzz!!! But really, nitrous kits have always been the best bang for the buck.
Old 08-22-2005, 11:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some searces on first mods and read all of these, plus any other stickies or links in JRP's sig you come across.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/213148-jrp-s-faq-commonly-asked-questions.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142

The best bang for the buck is nitrous. It is temporary and needs refills though. $1,000 or a little more should get you off to a good start. If you want to go that route read stickies and search in the nitrous oxide section. Hard to beat $1,500 max for 100-125 rwhp and potentially even more torque.

Best single mod for an A4 is a torque converter. $1,380 out the door got me a TCI converter, transgo shift kit, B&M tranny cooler, +2 quart finned/aluminum transmission pan, autometer trans temp gauge, installation of all parts and basic tune for shift points and other odds and ends. You don't need the transmission pan, but should also get subframe connectors and drag radials at that time if you don't already have them.

The essential first mods are a cat-back or cutout and a lid.
Old 08-23-2005, 01:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slimcracka
(best for rollon races)
IMO, you got the wrong tranny if all you want to do is run from a roll

Get some sticky rubber and a nice stall, and run people from a dig. You'll be impressed with how much that alone will wake up the car, and honestly it's not too hard to swap converters. Hell, I did my entire tranny swap on two jackstands in my back parking lot that was on rocks! Not to mention no tranny jack
Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by OdessitPashka
Nawzzzzz!!! But really, nitrous kits have always been the best bang for the buck.
at least until the engine goes POP then its
Old 08-23-2005, 07:20 AM
12 Second Club

If you want the best bang, get a cutout and run no cats, since you have an a4 put it in 1st and rev it almost all the way up, as you coast to a stop under engine braking you'll hear your big bang. Atleast thats the best BANG on my car. lol
Old 08-23-2005, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slimcracka
ok just want to know what would be the best mods for the cash.. the car is basically stock a4 now but wnat to do some easy mods... but want to dig into it too much... and by best i mean most gain on the street (best for rollon races) and most fun thanx

justin
I would guess if ET's are not a main concern the the GRIN factor is.

As any Ls1 is pretty quick stock you need only do a few things.

-Rear end gears, I'd probably go for 3.73 or 3.42 depending on what you already have. This will increase SOTP (seat of the pants) feel yet still be smooth and retain good highway manors.
-Shift kit, it'll make the shifts more positive and make the car much more responsive, which adds to the excitment of driving. Also it'll be tons better if you like to hit the twisties too.
-Cat back, will give a smidgen of HP but what you want it for is the sound. Allow it make the noises a muscle/pony car should
- Lid, well for the money why not it will add a bit more poke and imporve throttle response. (keep the stock paper filter, it'll work fine).

That should make it a whole lot more fun. If you live near some decent driving roads (bends and corners) then a few chassis/suspension mods and brakes may well be worth it. There's no point having MASSIVE BHP if you can't make use of it.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
I would guess if ET's are not a main concern the the GRIN factor is.

As any Ls1 is pretty quick stock you need only do a few things.

-Rear end gears, I'd probably go for 3.73 or 3.42 depending on what you already have. This will increase SOTP (seat of the pants) feel yet still be smooth and retain good highway manors....
Converter > gears
Old 08-23-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by blkZ28spt
Converter > gears
for drag racing I would guess yes.

I never driven a high stall motor before however. What are they like once rolling?

Maybe slicing thru some great twisty country roads, using mainly 2nd and 3rd gears, or some tail out loutish behaviour.

Ta.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:09 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
for drag racing I would guess yes.

I never driven a high stall motor before however. What are they like once rolling?

Maybe slicing thru some great twisty country roads, using mainly 2nd and 3rd gears, or some tail out loutish behaviour.

Ta.
Any performance category there is a converter is what you want, for an A4 car it is NIGHT AND DAY difference.
Old 08-23-2005, 09:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

get a lid and a cutout. lid= ~75$ used and free installation, that will give u between 8-12RWHP and then a cutout is 35$ plus maybe 50$ to have it welded into place, that will get u between 8-12RWHP as well. all said, for around 150$ installed, u could gain around 15RWHP at the least. i say 15 because ur car is an A4 and will lose more power thru the tranny than an M6 would. in my M6 WS6 wiht just lid and cutout, i put down 329RWHP and 338RWTQ. not to bad for 150$!!