New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 03:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Improving Fuel Economy of your F-body

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 08:59 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dyno testing of the tornado by larry Meaux

http://speedtalk.com/forum/viewtopic...hlight=tornado
Old 09-01-2005, 09:02 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

oh, and i save gas by driving my beater. cost me 21 bucks to fill the tank @ 2.90 a gallon. **** payin 3.37 for 91
Old 09-01-2005, 09:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I will be keeping those 2.73 gears in my car after all
Old 09-01-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's what I'm doing to deal with gas prices:

1. I top off the tank when it gets down to 3/4's full. Doesn't help with mpg but psychologically, I always have a full tank and it only cost me about 12 bucks to top off and I don't have to part with 45 bucks to fill up a complete tank. I go through about a quarter tank every week now.

2. I started riding my mountain bike to work. Good for the body (this will mean alot when you hit my age and your metabolism slows down to mustang gt speed) , doesn't cost anything, and I only leave about a half hour earlier to get there. Then I change into my work clothes there, take a washcloth with me to clean up and carry extra deoderant. I know this doesn't work well for those who have a more serious or lengthy commute, but for those who can do this, its worth it. Plus, less chance of parking lot dings and less time detailing because of daily road grime. A friend of mine is riding his motorcycle to and from work and saving a ton in gas. He also changes at work and eats in.

3. I almost never, ever eat fast food. Nothing healthy comes through a drive through window anyways. I take a frozen dinner with me and microwave it at work. No having to leave to go to lunch. If you do have to go out to lunch with say the boss or coworkers, let someone else drive their car.

4. I quit smoking. Almost 5 bucks a pack, that's a gallon and a half of gas or save it up and do another mod. Plus its one of the most unhealthy things you can do next heroin, crack, or unprotected sex. From this and riding my bike, I have dropped many pounds.

5. Instead of going out to resturants, we invite friends and family over for BBQ's and get togethers like a movie screening or to detail the cars on a Saturday. I can cook better than any restaraunt out there anyway, seriousely. We have been to just one resturant in the past month and thats for Mexican food. Again, we have noticed it alot in our budget.

6. The days I drive or have to drive, I do all of my errands at the same time. Plan out routes. Yes, just like my wife I make a list. No, I do not have a vagina.

I'm not rich, but I'm not hurting for money either. I'm frugal and believe that everyone should be. Those who spend less than they earn and find ways to deal with problems rather than just bitching about them and then not changing anything are the ones who will survive in the end without any hardships or problems.

Gas prices suck, but unless you are willing to sacrifice or change some habits or practices, it will keep on hurting. Over the last month, my fuel costs have gone down tremendously and next week, I'm going to have TSP install a new cam/springs/pushrods/pully in my ride, so I say **** the oil companies, the ragheads and the price gougers. When I do drive, I drive how I damn well please!!!!

Last edited by Joker; 09-01-2005 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 09:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
Yes they do decrease fuel mileage, I never said they didnt decrease mileage, however they do not decrease mileage as much as running the A/C.
Actually they do decrease gas milage more than A/C at 55mph+, so general rule, under 55, role down the windows, above, run the A/C
Old 09-02-2005, 01:05 AM
Import Patrol

screw this, if gas economy is what your looking for, sell you ls1 to someone else and buy a damn honda
Old 09-02-2005, 01:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's how I am approaching this. The day before the prices went to $3+ for regular I put $68 in my 00 ext. cab Z-71, $30 in some fuel cans, and filled up my 954.

I don't drive the truck except to pick up material or make deliveries, or when it's raining. I ride that bike EVERYWHERE possible, to/from work, pay bills, whatever. When I get my Machine Shop moved to my house, only a week or so longer, I won't have to drive at all to work, just to take the finished product out, and to bring raw materials back in.

When it comes to the car I just drive it whenever I want, however I want, it's a toy
Old 09-02-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have maybe 6 payments left on it. After I pay if off, if the prices stay the same I will probably by an economical ******* to drive and let the T/A sit. Just cruise now and then and use it primarily on the drag strip.

*this is my 2nd approach after more mods*
Old 09-02-2005, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 300bhp/ton
Great ideas there, esp love the Auto to manual conversion comment. Think how much fuel you could buy for the cost of the swap, how many miles would it take just to break even let alone save anything

And remember guys, you always buy the performance car so you can ***** foot around and save fuel, or better still just buy a more economical car as you'll end up going just as quickly.

Then save the money so you can gp for a proper drive.
These ideas obviously aren't for you or other people that think the way you do. This is for those people who start 5 threads or more a day on gas mileage or can I run 87 or whatever else they do. I'm sure Tony will not do any of those ideas he just listed (not that he needs to anyways $$$) Just like I won't do hardly any of those. I drive just the same as I always do and that's just how it is. All that to just say this thread is not directed at you or me that matter.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
These ideas obviously aren't for you or other people that think the way you do. This is for those people who start 5 threads or more a day on gas mileage or can I run 87 or whatever else they do. I'm sure Tony will not do any of those ideas he just listed (not that he needs to anyways $$$) Just like I won't do hardly any of those. I drive just the same as I always do and that's just how it is. All that to just say this thread is not directed at you or me that matter.
no worries.

I see similar things all the time though. Such as the idiots who bought the 4.6 HSE Range Rover then drive so gently trying to get it to average 18mpg. Instead of for the same money they could have bought the diesel version, driven like normal and gone faster and still seen minimum of 25mpg.

I'm sure its the same in the US as it is in the UK. Only your fuel prices are WAY cheaper than ours, even with your price increase. At a guess it would probably be around $120+ US dollars to fill up a Fbody in the UK, except of course it wouldn't be $ but £ sterling.
Old 09-02-2005, 08:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yes there are PLENTY of stupid people. I would consider a person stupid if they swapped converters to stock so they could save gas mileage. No offense Tony. Or swapped an A4 to an M6 soley for the purpose of saving gas.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey anyone who bought a V8 should have known that Gas prices can and will change.

The Hummer population, sucks to be them but most have them for status quo as it is atleast here in Palm Beach.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

so I say **** the oil companies, the ragheads and the price gougers. When I do drive, I drive how I damn well please!!!!
****** hilarious man!!!HAHA. Ragheads. HAHAHA
On a serious note though, i plan on buying a bike as well to ride around town. I just came to college and am on a limited budget. Also, it never hurts for the health. I think it's a good idea.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Lately I've just been trying to work like 2 hours of overtime per week and bring my own lunch most days. Just by bringing my own lunch 4 of 5 day saves me at least $20 per week, that alone covers the increase in gas prices. Throw in a little OT and I'm coming out ahead. Oh yeah, a quick blast up to 150 doesn't hurt gas mileage does it?
Old 09-02-2005, 09:55 AM
TECH Regular

Another one that is not so easy is just slow down. When driving in OH where the limit was 65, I got 28 on my A4. Driving in MI at 75, I get 24. Driving slower saves gas, it was proven in the 70's. Also, instead of driving the congested expressways, I found back country roads with 55 mph limit. I still move faster taking the backroads rather than dealing w/ construction and traffic.
Old 09-02-2005, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by prince xizor
Another one that is not so easy is just slow down. When driving in OH where the limit was 65, I got 28 on my A4. Driving in MI at 75, I get 24. Driving slower saves gas, it was proven in the 70's. Also, instead of driving the congested expressways, I found back country roads with 55 mph limit. I still move faster taking the backroads rather than dealing w/ construction and traffic.

Check #13
Old 09-02-2005, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I hope the gas prices go down soon this really sucks! Im paying 3.30
Old 09-02-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I wouldn't expect it. Gas companies have just realized that people MUST have gas and will pay for it. They are just going to keep raising prices and making up stories until the government does something about. Nothing pisses me off more than when gas companies make all these bs excuses about why gas goes up. It's all a bunch of
Old 09-02-2005, 02:54 PM
Ric
TECH Enthusiast

True dat, my friend. True dat.

I just wish E85 was available here in GA. I'd set up for that stuff in a heartbeat. Isn't it still like $2ish a gallon and 105-octane???
Old 09-02-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Resident

Default Save the planet! Eliminate polluters! Buy a Prius!

I have an '88 Mustang GT that I use to go to work everyday and a 2002 Z28 that I drive only in the weekends. The mustang gets only 19 MPG. I've been wanting to buy a C6, but now I think I'll just buy a Toyota Prius. It's not just because of the high gas prices, but also because of my belief in the idea that the environment and animals are the most important things in this planet and that most humans are nothing more than wasteful hedonists. I want to help reduce the pollution in this planet and, if I was allowed, reduce its polluters too. Give me a legal license to eliminate the ignorant drivers of Hummers, Tahoes, Suburbans, Expeditions, Escalades, exotic cars, and other wasteful vehicles and I'll do my job with pleasure.

Quick Reply: Improving Fuel Economy of your F-body