New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer sold me an 01 Z28 with fender sticking out past door - mean it was in a wreck?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 07:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used to have a z28 and it was the same way. most camaros i've seen all have had doors and fenders misaligned! mine went outward due to drag racing it with sticky tires and no sub frames.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I've actually found Carfax to be very helpful. I've found many cars that have been in an accident.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by _JB_
I've actually found Carfax to be very helpful. I've found many cars that have been in an accident.
You probably live in a state where Carfax has access to the DMV records, however there are 23 states that won't give carfax that information. Carfax is not something that should be used as the be all end all of determining whether a car is legit or not, however it can be a good tool in certain cases.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a car that was totalled in an accident and then stolen a week afterwards. 3 years later, the VIN still has a clean report on CarFax.
Old 10-10-2005, 05:20 AM
12 Second Club

alright i have to say something, how didn't you notice this before? not to be mean but if you didn't notice it before, do you think yo umay be over doing it a bit? if you bought the car , its done, its yours, go tget it fixed , if its not in carfax then there's no way that you'll be able to prove anything unless you have video/photographic evidence of the person who sold it to you standing next to a the said car, wrecked , with the vin number somehow legiable, so just don't worry about it , just get it fixed and make sure to keep an eye out for any other side effects of a wrecked car

and luna , you back seat missing fool you , there's no way i can compete with your mighty posts... ttyl
Old 10-10-2005, 07:13 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just check the body flange where you would expect a jack point to me. There is not one on our cars, but it gets used as one by mechanics that don't know better. The same happened to my car. I bent the tab back myself and the fender pulled right back in line with the door. It was pretty far out when I noticed it too. Don't know how I missed that when it first happened. Taught me to look the car over before I just jump in and go! Easy fix, and no big deal. Good luck.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:28 PM
12 Second Club

WWW.AUTOCHECK.COM
my hubby and me own a preowned auto dealership in va
hubby goes to the auctions and they use this website for thier vin checks
not carfax (the east coast auctions in our part of the world have switched to this one) autocheck is run and owned by experian one of the 3 credit reporting agencys.
we have found that carfax misses alot of stuff ex- hubby was looking at a tahoe he wasnt sure about and carfax showed nothing.....we were signed up for both so i pulled autocheck just to be sure and they showed frame damage which is HUGH NO NO.
just as someone said before carfax or autocheck doesnt have info on wrecks that were taken some where else for repair iow someone who doesnt report on warranty work, insurance report, or a dealership.
get a machanic to check out any car you want to buy or someone who knows about cars anyway!!

just my 2cents, hope it helps...

Quick Reply: Dealer sold me an 01 Z28 with fender sticking out past door - mean it was in a wreck?