New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly goes bad due to high mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 01:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've been doing a lot of research on this since i'm in the market for an older ls1. like someone else said, other than the oil pump or valve train issues, it should just slowly get cylinder wear and should last along time. nitrous, blowers, letting it run hot or low on oil will obviously change that.

if the engine sounds normal, i'd be more worried about all the accessories which can add up to a lot of money and the won't last forever. alternator, starter, a/c, cooling system, fuel pump, suspension, rack & pinion, power steering pump,

i bought my LT1 car at 102k and sold it with 167k. it never needed any oil between changed, didn't smoke, still pulled hard, got decent gas mileage and still had the original alt, starter, and fuel pump.
Old 10-15-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no reason that a properly maintained, and cared for engine cannot last 500k, the modern LS1 has well over 40 years of engineering know how put into it, on how to build an engine to last. That being said I'd be more worried about the rest of the car at the higher mileages, as someone said before the accessories (alt, starter, waterpump, and so on) seem to wear out well before the engine does, not to mention the rest of the car, the window/headlight motors, the suspension bushings, shocks, ball joints, etc etc, will likely be the things to wear out before the engine, and while not as expensive to replace as a motor, they can literally nickel and dime you to death.
That's the problem I'd have purchasing a high mile car, not so much the engine, but the rest of the package
Old 10-15-2005, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
That's the problem I'd have purchasing a high mile car, not so much the engine, but the rest of the package

this is a good bit of information.

overall the previous owners are going to have the biggest impact on how long the car will last.

many of our cars being what they are, may have elusive past-lifes.
and like many of us have found out, that the car we bought wasent exactly what we had originally thought.

its very easy for a car with 200k miles to be completely untouched as far as modifications and preventive maintnance.
and still have no adverse effects on how well the car runs.

for example 60 year old lady ownes a 98 z28 A4 and uses it to comute to work everyday till it has accumulated around 200k miles.

now when she remembers to have the oil changed every 5k miles and naturally she will use non-synthetic.
the car will more than likely never have any problems with it other than a/c related issues from leaving defroster or a/c on for pretty much its entire life.. other than that this car will overall run very well for how many miles it has on it, due to it never being driven hard or being put through stressful conditions. and is more than likely only on its second set of tires.

next we have the highschool kid whos rich father buy's him a brand spankin new 02 ws6 m6, fresh off the lot with 10 miles on it.
now from the moment he pulls off the lot the car is sideways spinnin tires and grinding gears. all the meanwhile abusing the car every chance he gets.
now when 30k miles rolls around its time for bobby teenager to trade his very abused vehicle in for a volvo SUV.
he has already been through 3 clutchs and 4-5 sets of tires.. and absolutly no maintnance except for a few oil changes every now and again.
granted this car has low miles and for the most part can appear to be in excellent condition. this is not the case. this is the type of car that is destined to have problem after problem, after its adolescent owner had absolutly no respect for it and felt it was necessary to do burnouts across train tracks.

i guess my point is, know who owned the car before you or you will be stuck with a giant headache!!

my .02
Old 10-15-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

ya dont buy fast cars from young kids. esp if it has mods lol. even if it has only 10k miles.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
Headlight gears go bad? I feel pretty lucky to still have my original headlight gears.
whats your address? ill drive over there and swap your headlight motors for mine, quietly at night..

i changed those damn things 3 times in 15k mi already
Old 10-17-2005, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Seriously, I just had my headlight motor changed, didn't know it was such a common problem. I thought it was the body shop since thats when it started, but they replaced it for free. She also eats about a quart every 1500-2000 miles and she's been on synthetic since 10k if my memory serves me.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
10 Second Club

Good info guys, i guess im lucky too, still on stock headlight motors, doesnt burn a drop, but i have one question, how did Kanes2413 end up showing up as starting my thread?!
Old 10-19-2005, 08:40 AM
gwj
TECH Addict

Location: Live Oak, FL - in the woods where the creatures lurk.

I'm worried more about the A4 & the diff than the engine at this point. 133K + miles.
I've replaced:
battery
front rotors
front brake pads (twice)
AC compressor and hoses (most expensive)
Acc & AC belts
Front O2s
Rear trans seal
Front trans seal b/c it was handy when changing TC
Put headers on b/c cats were going.
Replaced radiator hoses just b/c
30 oil changes, 5 trans oil/filter changes,3 diff oil changes
Runs great, could use tune b/c of headers.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:06 PM
10 Second Club

My tranny has been rebuilt, im not worried about that, and since you and me are a4's im really not worried about the rear right now
Old 10-19-2005, 06:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by longdaddy
damn, your definition of "downhill" is a car with 150k on the clock and UNTUNED cam/intake/converter that's running "almost" mid 12?!

talk about high standards!

As far as "longevity mods", catch can is probably one of the best mods for that.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:50 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
My tranny has been rebuilt, im not worried about that, and since you and me are a4's im really not worried about the rear right now
I hear ya, but with enough hard launches with a high stall / high STR TC stuff happens. It's amazing to me that my universal joints -seem- to be just as tight as brand new. There is some pinion/ring gear play, however.
I've been telling my wife for 2 years now that at some point I'll need either a trans or diff. All she knows is that my last 2 cars went 143K (Camaro) and 194K (Z24) before trading with no major work. Knock on wood, LOL, I'm doing good so far. + I'm old and deaf and don't hear all those valvetrain noises so good anymore.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:15 AM
Launching!

How many guys have high mileage motors that slap? This is definetly something I am interested in hearing. Mine slaps pretty loudly on startup, and sometimes slaps some even when the engine is fully warmed up.
Old 10-20-2005, 11:48 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by RussStang
How many guys have high mileage motors that slap? This is definetly something I am interested in hearing. Mine slaps pretty loudly on startup, and sometimes slaps some even when the engine is fully warmed up.
this is very common on cold start-up, thow some people claim theirs will do no such thing warm/cold
Old 10-20-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

On my last motor that had 160k, it never slapped, cold or warm or anything. It is common, but mine never did it.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:49 PM
10 Second Club

Mine doesnt slap
Old 10-20-2005, 12:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 96 Impala SS (LT1) had 190K on it when I sold it and I sprayed a 150 shot on it for half it's life. Always ran perfect up to and after the day I sold it. You couldn't tear that thing up.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Mine doesnt slap
I am interested in the ones that do slap, and how well they hold up to high mileage. Mine slaps like crazy when cold, and continues to do so occasionally at full operating temperature.
Old 10-22-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by slimcracka
what about fuel injection cleaning or what if you have a car that you just put a ls6 manifold on and want to clean out the heads and the pistons and valve from all the burnt oil deposits..whats best for that...

???????????
Old 10-22-2005, 10:15 AM
12 Second Club

Wow thats really cool that these engines last that long. I'm at 28k right now and im dreaing hitting 30. It's my DD right now bought it with 24k 2 months ago. My word of advice would to just keep up with the maintenence. If you notice your oil pressure getting low at hot idle its probably your main bearings being worn from all the use and the clearances are opening up. Its good that you upped the oil pump. Just keep maintaining, see what these motors can do.
Old 10-25-2005, 07:41 PM
gwj
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by slimcracka
what about fuel injection cleaning or what if you have a car that you just put a ls6 manifold on and want to clean out the heads and the pistons and valve from all the burnt oil deposits..whats best for that...
I favor the GM top engine cleaner...I use the aerosol type. Warm the engine up to normal operating temp. Just pull the lid and disconnect the air intake hose to the TB, crank it up and wedge a screwdriver or something to hold a fairly high idle, and spray away straight onto the butterfly on the TB. When the engine starts to stall, back off for a sec and let the engine catch up, then go again. When you empty the can, let it sit for 15 minutes or so, then go blow it out. It will smoke like hell at first, then clear up. I do this whenever I start to get KR. Also a catch can will help keep the oil out of the intake, I use an air/water separator type with the filter removed I got at wallyworld in the air tools section for $12.
'nuff info?

Quick Reply: What exactly goes bad due to high mileage?