Sponsored by:

in the market for a C5

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005 | 12:27 PM
On The Tree

Default in the market for a C5

I did some research on autotrader , looked at kbb, and ls1tech.com
but I d still like your opinion.

I d want to get my dad a C5 sometime next year, budget is between 25000 to 30000.
I know he wants an automatic trans, and hard top.
I know f-body, but never actually got in a vette.
the car will be ship to France , so it has to be low-mileage and reliable, stock or almost, because of their ******* emissions law and other crap...
Anyway I got the shipment already quoted and I have a friend who works at emissions and registration so no problem there
They actually sell and service them over there at certified GM dealership ( you should see the size of a vette/cadillac dealership in Paris, barelly more than 15 cars !!!)

anyway can you give me your opinion on what I should look for, what year, an tips and more generally your buying experience, I know about carfax, and basic visual , test drives things to check but any imput ewould be appreciated

My brother told my dad yesterday:

" instead of bying a used vette , why dont you get a new 06 mustang gt"
and my dad really want a two seater American Muscle car, so Vette is what we always wanted

Looking back at it maybe I should have got a vette for 10k $ more than my TA 02 m6, but I m having some much fun with it right now , plus I use the rear seat quite a lot

oh welll

thanks for your answers !!!!
Old 10-26-2005 | 01:59 PM
On The Tree

the "hardtop" does not come in automatic. It was made 1999 and 2000 and is was a M6 only. The Z06 replaced it in 2001 and also only comes in M6.

C5s are sweet cars. i have seen 2001-2003s in autotrader and www.corvetteforums.com in your price range.
Old 10-26-2005 | 04:12 PM
TECH Regular

I would suggest 2001-2004 Auto hatchback (targa top, hardtop is only for Z06/FRC and not available with auto transmission) with suspension option. Look for low miles, and original tires with minimal wear and, also, if you can, ask a GM service person to run a VIN for service/complaint history. Column lock recall and minor repairs/adjustments are normal, anything more than that is a warning sign.

This should run you around high 20ies for a clean 2002 car with options and low miles if you buy from a private seller. Half a year from now, the prices will be even lower, of course.
Old 10-27-2005 | 09:56 AM
On The Tree

thank you both for your answers, I really want to take a ride in a c5 and see how it handles and if its easy to drive.
starting looking now to look for vette....
Old 10-27-2005 | 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

vettes are tight riding cars. in the turns they do way better than the fbods. they are easy to drive, just matters if your dad likes sitting 3 inches off the ground. some people dont, just have your dad get into one at a dealership or something to make sure he likes it before you spend 30k on a car he realizes he doesnt like after you buy it. i only say this because since you are buying a car for your dad i assume youre around 30 at least and your dad is over 50, and a lot of older people just dont like bending that low (please know that if there is anyone over 50 on this site i am not calling you old).