New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 05-13-2016, 04:01 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

Z28 vs SS - what's the main difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 04:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NC98Z
Taller gears are in the SS. MY 98 Z28 came with 2:73's I think the SS's have 3:23s and they also have the series 3 carrier that goes along with it. If your going to change the rearend for performance you would be better off.
not quite that clean cut man. some z28's and trans ams had 2.73's and some had 3.23's...while the M6 cars no matter z28 or SS have 3.42's. All WS6's and SS's though in A4 have 3.23 gears.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have a 1998 z28 fully loaded with leather, t-tops, 12 disc changer, chrome wheels, power everything, sticker was $25,175.....id go with the z28 and add the options that you desire, and as what I did! If you had a z28 with ss hood/spoiler/suspension ect. sitting next to a SS with same mileage, same year, the SS will probably still be a couple thousand more just for the SS badges!
Old 10-31-2005, 05:12 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah,Base TAs and Z28s with the A4 auto tranny got 2.73s standard.
The performance axle option was available for either going to a 3.23 rear.

As far as I know all WS6/Firehawk/SS optioned A4 autos came with 3.23s.
Even though it was charged to you,when you ordered a SS or Firehawk/WS6 with the auto tranny,you automatically got the 3.23s with the upgrade package...

And all the M6 (manual) cars got 3.42s...

In my opinion,the SS package is well worth the extra money because of the collectability of it especially if you plan to keep it mostly or all stock.

If you plan on modding the heck out of it,selling soon or you just plain out like the cleaner look of the Z28,then go for the Z28.You can always install the parts like the wheels,wing...etc...But in the long run,I think it still ends up costing a pretty penny.Yes the hood is about $500 but,most of the shops around here usually want an additional $300-$500 to prep.paint and install the hood...same thing for the spoiler.Not to mention about $1000 on the wheels and tires (so far this is all just the appearance stuff).

Now of course you can cut down on those costs by finding a good deal on some used parts or you "know a guy" at a paint and body shop...etc...but then luck comes into play...

I don't really do much to my cars but,I do like all the little "bells and whistles"...So the SS fits the bill for me...

Good luck on your choices man,when it comes down to it,you can't go wrong with either choice...

Craig,damn it man....I can't stop looking at pics of your ride!Good job!
Old 10-31-2005, 06:23 PM
((((((Administrator))))))

Originally Posted by MJK
Yeah,Base TAs and Z28s with the A4 auto tranny got 2.73s standard.
The performance axle option was available for either going to a 3.23 rear.

As far as I know all WS6/Firehawk/SS optioned A4 autos came with 3.23s.
Even though it was charged to you,when you ordered a SS or Firehawk/WS6 with the auto tranny,you automatically got the 3.23s with the upgrade package...

And all the M6 (manual) cars got 3.42s...

In my opinion,the SS package is well worth the extra money because of the collectability of it especially if you plan to keep it mostly or all stock.

If you plan on modding the heck out of it,selling soon or you just plain out like the cleaner look of the Z28,then go for the Z28.You can always install the parts like the wheels,wing...etc...But in the long run,I think it still ends up costing a pretty penny.Yes the hood is about $500 but,most of the shops around here usually want an additional $300-$500 to prep.paint and install the hood...same thing for the spoiler.Not to mention about $1000 on the wheels and tires (so far this is all just the appearance stuff).

Now of course you can cut down on those costs by finding a good deal on some used parts or you "know a guy" at a paint and body shop...etc...but then luck comes into play...

I don't really do much to my cars but,I do like all the little "bells and whistles"...So the SS fits the bill for me...

Good luck on your choices man,when it comes down to it,you can't go wrong with either choice...

Craig,damn it man....I can't stop looking at pics of your ride!Good job!
Well said man!

One thing I have to add is that if someone wants to make his/her Z28 into a SS, the best route is an SLP wing and hood.
I have seen plenty of aftermarket hoods and SS wings and they ALL fit like ***!

So, to buy a real SLP hood, wing, and have it paint to match (and hope the bodyshop can MATCH your paint) you're at or near the extra amount the SS would have cost you in the first place. And it's still not a SS. If you ever have any doubts about one you just look at the door sticker for a Y2Y option code.
Fake SS's don't bother me at all, only when someone tries to sell his/her Z28 as a SS.

Originally Posted by MJK
...Craig,damn it man....I can't stop looking at pics of your ride!Good job!
Thank you sir! I appreciate that alot!

Peace,
Craig.
Old 11-01-2005, 07:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

I Agree with you on that one. Don't buy a Z28 if all your planning to do is an SS update. Buy the SS before you ruin a perfectly good Z28. Bottom Breathers RULE!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

i just bought a 2000 SS back in june. my first LS1, but it's an A4 with a hard top and cloth interior. only reason i bought the SS is cause theres too many people rolling around in Z28's or SS clones and i wanted the real thing and damn i got it!!!! an SS is a rare version of the camaro but one with a hard top is very rare. as far as performance differences, i've raced stock Z28's and they keep up but they can't get past me. anyone can buy a Z28 but a true SS is something else. but if your just gonna update everything engine, drivetrain etc. why not just get a V6 camaro and drop everything you want in it? i've seen some pretty bad *** engines with high HP numbers built for cheap. in my opinion get the SS, look for a hard-top though the weight advantage is one thing you'll have over others . . . . LIGHTER!!!!!!!!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can be like me and just get two of them rattling noisy bastards! My Z is still my favorite though. My z is way faster then my SS in stock trim. **** my SS has the LS6 block in it too like that make a difference lol. I got so sick of the crappy performance in my SS that I went and picked up some heads and a cam for it. maybe it will be able to run a 12 haha not.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Beast
Could you guys tell me an approx. sticker price for my car...new? I bought it used and have never known what the original price was...

It is an '01 Z M6, T tops, no power door features, monsoon system, hurst.....other than that it seems pretty basic. Any idea on the price?
Sounds like my car, I have the window sticker still so this is how it broke down.....
(By the way this is a 1SC with a few options)
Z28 Base vehicle: $21,875
T-tops: $995
Hurst Shifter: $325
245 Tires: $225
Monsoon Stereo: $100
Destination Charge: $575

Total Vehicle Price: $24,265
Old 11-01-2005, 11:19 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

**** my 02 Z was one hell of a deal I could not turn down. Brand new was like 23K Has every option but CD changer. I got this deal because my wife has the GM family ****. That car is fast for a loaded Z ran 13.10@110 w/ a lid and it being lowered at the time on the stock GSC's.
My SS was 31-33K new I dunno got the sticker at home but the damn 1LE susp package is expensive as hell! Handles excellent but sucks ***** on the 1/4 mile 13.5 at 107 w/ headers dual dual exhaust and a lid might have been the fastest that I got w/ that car.
I get compliments w/ both cars probably the equal amount. Most people w/ Z's mean business! Most people w/ SS's dont bring their cars out to play cause its too nice to play.
Old 11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I could never pay 30k+ for a SS when I could get the same car for 22k. I mean the hood is nice, but not that nice. You can't win any bang for the buck arguments with a 30k+ fbody.
Old 11-01-2005, 12:53 PM
MJK
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I could never pay 30k+ for a SS when I could get the same car for 22k. I mean the hood is nice, but not that nice. You can't win any bang for the buck arguments with a 30k+ fbody.
Thats an example of what I have noticed.There are different kinds of people buying these cars for different reasons all the time...

To MOST people who are really more into the horsepower/racing aspect of the whole scene,they will only see an SS as a hood and some wheels...Since there really isn't any HUGE difference in power.Of course from a power only aspect,its not worth the money...

Then there are people (like myself I guess) who love the power but are really into what the car is,the history behind it,the collectability...etc...So to people like me,you are NOT getting the "same car" for less money...

Its in a way like telling someone who owns a Harley,you could have bought this loaded out fast "speed bike" for much less...Then put the money into it that you would save off the Harley and be way faster than some bike with a fancey American name plate and some chrome!!

The Harley guy would probably look at you like if you grew two heads,because to him its much more than just a nameplate and some chrome...

I love all F-bodies (well, not too crazy about the 6cyl versions),I have nothing against Z28s (which I was also looking at when I ran across my SS) and have had both a base TA and WS6.

Its a personal choice that depends on what your priorities and intentions are for your vehicle...

For me to say that a Z28 doesn't compare to an SS is just plain silly,because its an awesome car.But it is just as silly to say that there is nothing special about an SS.Because in my opinion and many others,there is a difference.

Different strokes for different folks...
The following users liked this post:
1SS2NV00 (08-09-2020)
Old 11-02-2005, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
i tend to disagree. its quicker than a vette stock in the 1/4...and 10k cheaper? hows that not bang for the buck. i see your point, but it still is a good deal considering the new GT stangs are over 30k and still not as fast as an fbod.

Quick Reply: Z28 vs SS - what's the main difference?