New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1s worth anything in the future?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2005, 09:28 AM
Deranged Rat Fink

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Back when I was in high school , you could buy 2nd gens cheapespecially '75 up. This was true all though the 80s but they started creeping up in price.Pretty soon you're gonna see the same with third gens , then fourth gen LT1 cars. Price a decent third gen convertible , IROC or GTA, not so cheap. They've bottomed out in price and will start going up.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cephiros
personally, i think the ls1 fbodies will go up in value substantually in about 20 years

lt1 4th gens might just because they didnt make thme long, i dont see third gends going up very high tho, they are waaay to plentiful, and all around were not very pretty cars, looks or performance wise.....at least not without alot of work, ive seen a couple smokin' fast third gens.

I agree on the LS1 Fbodies going up in value too. Some third gens are bound to go up, at least the survivors. I always liked some of the IROCS. I can't remember the last time I saw one. I wouldn't mind having one in good condition or something that some collector bought and sat up on jack stands. I remember a guy locally that had a convertible IROC that was black and had gold stripes. That thing was pretty. Alot of those cars came with the anemic 305's and a few but not many had 350's if they buyer ordered them.
Old 10-31-2005, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

What I'm saying is that the future will look a lot like the late 70's and early 80's. Performence will be gone from all the new cars because of governemnt regulation, and cars like the LS1 will be desireable because they don't look like and outperform all the econoboxes we will drive in the future. If GM ever goes bankrupt, expect to see these cars also increase in value. They'll be one of the last cool American cars made.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm surprised of how well Mustang's hold their value. You can't find a 94-98 Cobra for under 10k and you can't find a 99-01 Cobra for under 13k. Even regular GT's are priced outrageously. Someone said before about the Fox Body's holding their value pretty good and that is true. It just boggles me how they hold their value, where LT1/LS1 f-bodies don't...only ones that do are SS's/WS6's/Firehawks/30th Ann. TA/35th SS. Regular Z28's, Formula's and TA's just don't hold their value too well.
Old 10-31-2005, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z
I'm surprised of how well Mustang's hold their value. You can't find a 94-98 Cobra for under 10k and you can't find a 99-01 Cobra for under 13k. Even regular GT's are priced outrageously. Someone said before about the Fox Body's holding their value pretty good and that is true. It just boggles me how they hold their value, where LT1/LS1 f-bodies don't...only ones that do are SS's/WS6's/Firehawks/30th Ann. TA/35th SS. Regular Z28's, Formula's and TA's just don't hold their value too well.
I've noticed what you're saying. I used to be a Ford only guy and I still have a primo condition 86' SVO Mustang. I got tired of the Mustang and wanted a Camaro. The quality's not the same on the Camaro. They run like sons a' bitches though. It's one of the fastest cars I've ever owned. I love mine.

One thing I really notice, is that with the Mustang you do see people in a certain amount that roadcourse their cars, but with the Fbodie's, all most want to do is drag race. You're kind of on your own to some degree because the aftermarket is not there for the Fbody in roadracing like it is for the Mustang.

The Mustang is a big money maker for Ford. Hell, the car is underdesigned, and always has been to some degree. Ford catered on that end to the enormous aftermarket for the Mustang. I wouldn't buy one if you paid me.
Old 10-31-2005, 02:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think ricers are one thing that may hurt the potential value of newer v-8's. What cars have been most popular amoung 15-25 yr. olds for the past 7-8yrs......4cyl. imports, especially Honda. Who are the people that are going to be buying these cars in 20-30yrs?.....Yep, those same ricers looking to recapture their early years. The same thing happened with 50's chevies, muscle cars and fox bodies....they were all cars that defined a generations automotive taste. Since about '97-'98 imports are the cars most associated with young people. This is partially because v8 domestics priced themselves out of the younger buyers market with very high insurance rates.
Old 10-31-2005, 05:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I think ricers are one thing that may hurt the potential value of newer v-8's. What cars have been most popular amoung 15-25 yr. olds for the past 7-8yrs......4cyl. imports, especially Honda. Who are the people that are going to be buying these cars in 20-30yrs?.....Yep, those same ricers looking to recapture their early years. The same thing happened with 50's chevies, muscle cars and fox bodies....they were all cars that defined a generations automotive taste. Since about '97-'98 imports are the cars most associated with young people. This is partially because v8 domestics priced themselves out of the younger buyers market with very high insurance rates.
Well those are the people who would buy an LS1 f body, they can't afford one now due to the high insurance rates/cost of gas, as most of these kids make what $6-$8/hr, so they grow up, and in 20 odd yrs when they're 40 or older they now have the financial means to buy one.
Just like what's happened with the old muscle, the 16,17,18 yo kid who would've sold his/her soul for a 69 Z28, SS Chevelle (or whatever) now is grown up, has a career, and has the financial means to buy the car of their dreams, so they do, and as more of those people come into the market, the price rises, then the "investors" come in and the price spirals up
Will this happen with 4 th gens, it just might
Who'd have thought (in 1970) a 70 hemi cuda would be worth millions today
Old 11-01-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Well those are the people who would buy an LS1 f body, they can't afford one now due to the high insurance rates/cost of gas, as most of these kids make what $6-$8/hr, so they grow up, and in 20 odd yrs when they're 40 or older they now have the financial means to buy one.
Just like what's happened with the old muscle, the 16,17,18 yo kid who would've sold his/her soul for a 69 Z28, SS Chevelle (or whatever) now is grown up, has a career, and has the financial means to buy the car of their dreams, so they do, and as more of those people come into the market, the price rises, then the "investors" come in and the price spirals up
Will this happen with 4 th gens, it just might
Who'd have thought (in 1970) a 70 hemi cuda would be worth millions today
That may be true if insurance was the only thing keeping them from buying them.....regarless of insurance, they LOVE their 4cyl. imports. Ask most ricers what kind of car they would drive if they had the money and could pay the insurance...they'll probably say EVO, STI, Supra, TT 300zx, 350z, S2000, RSX etc etc. The domestic V8 just doesn't appeal to as many people under 30 yrs. old.

The under 25 crowd back in the 60's-early 70's could actually afford to own a muscle car when they were young(hell, moms family car could be considered muscle), just like young kids now can afford to own a Honda. I've heard so many people say that in the 60's a young person could go buy decent muscle car while working a part time job and going to school. That isn't the case anymore, but instead of drooling over something they cant have, young people now, have changed their taste and no longer desire V8 domestics. Much of this has to do with that movie which doesn't need mentioning and thinking what is foreign is better.(exocentrism?)
Old 11-01-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AronZ28
My crystal ball reads something like this:

Insurance rates, gas prices, and government regulation will kill the horsepower wars we have going on now.

I bet money that the governement mandates all cars must get at least 40mpg within the next 10 or 15 years. To reduce our dependence on foriegn oil. China is just going to keep on consuming more and more oil, and the price will become very steep. Horsepower is going to go to ****. Everybody will drive 3 cylinder Geo Metros. The American auto industry, using its current model of selling more trucks and SUVs, will completely collapse and what's left will be auctioned off to foriegn companies.

How can cars like the Camaro and Trans Am not become collectable?
AronZ28 is absolutely correct!!!- but he's got no crystal ball. Listen to the economists. The times they are a changing. Sure, we've got another 10 years left but not much more. Hybrids and econoboxes are going to dominate. And sure, some of us will still be perfectly willing to spend the money on fuel for our gas guzzling performance cars but where you gonna get one (other than the real expensive ones)? They're not going to make them because the vast majority of 'normal' people aren't gonna want one. We here at LS1tech are in a huge minority. There were like 16 million cars sold in the US last year. How many of them were V8 performance cars? Beats me but it can't be more than a fraction. It's sad, but our days are numbered.
Old 11-01-2005, 03:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
AronZ28 is absolutely correct!!!- but he's got no crystal ball. Listen to the economists. The times they are a changing. Sure, we've got another 10 years left but not much more. Hybrids and econoboxes are going to dominate. And sure, some of us will still be perfectly willing to spend the money on fuel for our gas guzzling performance cars but where you gonna get one (other than the real expensive ones)? They're not going to make them because the vast majority of 'normal' people aren't gonna want one. We here at LS1tech are in a huge minority. There were like 16 million cars sold in the US last year. How many of them were V8 performance cars? Beats me but it can't be more than a fraction. It's sad, but our days are numbered.
just makes us that much faster >

as for that un named movie? i say we get a bunch of us together and make it the way it should have been done >

the nice charger can even be replaced by an evo and dude can be like "its been supercharged so powerfull that it lsot control and hit the wall ont he first night out" then at the end, a nice ta coudl dominate it.
Old 11-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by sawedoff
I got tired of the Mustang and wanted a Camaro. The quality's not the same on the Camaro. They run like sons a' bitches though.
Hmmm...don't mean to start a war or hijack the thread, but I always have felt the third gen fbodies were higher quaility than the fox bodies. Hmmm, makes you wonder
Old 11-01-2005, 08:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by solocus
Hmmm...don't mean to start a war or hijack the thread, but I always have felt the third gen fbodies were higher quaility than the fox bodies. Hmmm, makes you wonder
i agree here but i cant take sides either way on newer mustangs as ive never been in any, tho the interior of the 4th gen ta's is nicer than 95% of interior's ive seen, havent been in any comaro's really only seen pcitures, so i lack the knowlege for comparisons.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 00 SLVR Z

I'm surprised to hear that...Ford is rolling so many mustangs off the assembly line that I can't believe they hold their value that well. Is that blue book value, or is that just what people are asking for their cars? Seems like a ripoff to me. A year and a half ago I could have bought a BRAND NEW 2003 GT for 17,500. Even if for some reason mustangs did hold their value relatively well, Ford is killing that by making so many of them.
Old 11-01-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry guys, but GM products never become real collectibles. There are just too many of them out there. I really doubt if any 4th gen Camaro or Firebird will ever be worth very much even if it's rare.

However, the good news: We can afford to buy them right now and drive the crap out of them and enjoy them everyday! What a great car for the money. Who cares if they will NEVER go up in value, the value comes every time I push on the loud pedal (you know the long skinny one next to the brake pedal!).
Old 11-01-2005, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by glennhl
Sorry guys, but GM products never become real collectibles. There are just too many of them out there. I really doubt if any 4th gen Camaro or Firebird will ever be worth very much even if it's rare.

However, the good news: We can afford to buy them right now and drive the crap out of them and enjoy them everyday! What a great car for the money. Who cares if they will NEVER go up in value, the value comes every time I push on the loud pedal (you know the long skinny one next to the brake pedal!).
whats a brake pedal? is that the one in the center?...never use that one...
Old 11-01-2005, 10:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think that saying muscle cars will be extinct in 10yrs. is a little drastic.......25yrs....maybe.....35yrs. more than likely.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mattkimsey
I think that saying muscle cars will be extinct in 10yrs. is a little drastic.......25yrs....maybe.....35yrs. more than likely.
muscle cars wont ever be extinct, maybe production ceased, never extinct, no matter how rare oil becomes, if it comes down to it, somone will probably figure out a way to make alcohal burn very similar to gasoline and use that for fuel.

in fact its kind of suprising there not trying to do that now,
Old 11-01-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

whats a brake pedal? is that the one in the center?...never use that one...
NO, not the brake pedal, just the long skinny one to the right of the brake pedal, that's the one I use!
Old 11-01-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Resident

*whooshes over head*
Old 11-01-2005, 11:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

*whooshes over head*
Sorry, I got it, just wasn't that funny.