New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Cam guys, loss of low end...

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2005, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For all of those unbelievers show me a dyno graph that shows less low-end power than the stock cam. Someone once said that to me and I spent at least 1/2 an hour looking and never found a graph that had less low-end than stock. So until someone shows me a graph I'll believe it. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, however, I just couldn't find one myself.
Old 11-18-2005, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 777
You have the same or more power down low as stock, it's just that above 3,000 you are pulling 50-100 more hp
Im not sure about this Looks to me like i lost agood amount of low end: Blue is Lid/Catback only Red is after cam and full exhaust
Old 11-18-2005, 05:23 PM
TECH Resident

I don't get why this is such a big deal to some of you. Match the torque convertor to the cam in an auto, match the gear to the cam in a manual...and you'll never have a problem. It's only a factor if you pick some ungodly huge cam and run 2.73s or a stock convertor.

My convertor flashes to around 4400 or so so I could care less if I lose 20 lb ft of torque below 3k.
Old 11-18-2005, 05:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JimTA
I don't get why this is such a big deal to some of you. Match the torque convertor to the cam in an auto, match the gear to the cam in a manual...and you'll never have a problem. It's only a factor if you pick some ungodly huge cam and run 2.73s or a stock convertor.

My convertor flashes to around 4400 or so so I could care less if I lose 20 lb ft of torque below 3k.
I love you.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't get why this is such a big deal to some of you.
Its a big deal to me because those are the rpms i'm at almost 100% of the time while driving around in the city, on errands etc.

I agree that there wont be any loss at the strip, but it really makes the car less fun to drive during normal driving.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 777
For all of those unbelievers show me a dyno graph that shows less low-end power than the stock cam. Someone once said that to me and I spent at least 1/2 an hour looking and never found a graph that had less low-end than stock. So until someone shows me a graph I'll believe it. If I am wrong I will gladly admit it, however, I just couldn't find one myself.
The problem with using dyno graphs as proof of lowend loss is that they usually don't start until ~3000 rpm, or in WS6Kids case ~2500 rpm. Most of my daily driving is done in the rpm range that a dyno graph doesn't show. I beleive this to be true of others.

WS6Kids dyno graph is an excellent example of what a large cam does to an engine's powerband.
Old 11-18-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6 Kid
Its a big deal to me because those are the rpms i'm at almost 100% of the time while driving around in the city, on errands etc.

I agree that there wont be any loss at the strip, but it really makes the car less fun to drive during normal driving.
So gear it, go to a 3.73 or a 4.10. But then your problem will be that your 60fts suck and you'll need a slick...and then you'll be breaking rearends and need a 12bolt or a 9 inch. And before you know it, you're complaining that your racecar only gets 10mpg and you can't hear the radio over the exhuast. There's always a trade off with these cars, you can't have everything. It all comes down to how fast you want to go, and what you're willing to live with during everyday driving.

If you regret the cam that much, just go to a smaller one.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

So gear it, go to a 3.73 or a 4.10. But then your problem will be that your 60fts suck and you'll need a slick...and then you'll be breaking rearends and need a 12bolt or a 9 inch. And before you know it, you're complaining that your racecar only gets 10mpg and you can't hear the radio over the exhuast. There's always a trade off with these cars, you can't have everything. It all comes down to how fast you want to go, and what you're willing to live with during everyday driving.

I dont regret my cam choice at all, I think i got just as much as i could live with and certainly am happy with the power. It sucks, as soon as you get a new mod you immediately need another

I think i'll try to quit once i finish the susp and get a 9in....maybe
Old 11-18-2005, 10:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well turns out that I am wrong. I wish I could've found that back when I was trying to argue this the other way to people. I guess I have gotten my facts straight now. I wouldn't have said it this way in the first place if I couldn't find proof of it. I didn't believe it that you didn't lose low-end, I just couldn't find proof of it so I had to agree.

PS: not trying to get out of being wrong, I know I was.
Old 11-18-2005, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

Very well said.

Everything has tradeoffs. If mods didn't, everyone would get the same mods.

Typically, the more speed you want, the less "smooth" your ride is.

Aftermarket mods tend to be "raw" but get the job done.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 777
Well turns out that I am wrong. I wish I could've found that back when I was trying to argue this the other way to people. I guess I have gotten my facts straight now. I wouldn't have said it this way in the first place if I couldn't find proof of it. I didn't believe it that you didn't lose low-end, I just couldn't find proof of it so I had to agree.

PS: not trying to get out of being wrong, I know I was.
Dont worry about it man, were all here to learn. I really appreciate the way that you can face up to your mistake and move forward
Old 11-19-2005, 04:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
Very well said.

Everything has tradeoffs. If mods didn't, everyone would get the same mods.

Typically, the more speed you want, the less "smooth" your ride is.

Aftermarket mods tend to be "raw" but get the job done.
Good post
Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Interesting thread. I'm with nuzee- I want to keep (or improve my low end).
Old 11-19-2005, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

this is why I love this website, people can argue something and not become into a pissing contest. I wish other web sites were like this.

I also have a good sized cam and went with 3.73's in the rear and am having no loss of power down low. I just went back to look at them to make sure.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by black01_WS6
this is why I love this website, people can argue something and not become into a pissing contest...
Ha ha, you should read some more threads. But I agree, It's a great site.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

this is why I love this website, people can argue something and not become into a pissing contest. I wish other web sites were like this.

I also have a good sized cam and went with 3.73's in the rear and am having no loss of power down low. I just went back to look at them to make sure.
What cam do you have? Also: Was there was no loss of torque down low when it was on the dyno? or: is it that it just doesnt feel like there was a loss since you got geared?

I'd think about the biggest cam you can go with without losing anything anywhere in the RPM band would be like a 224-226 duration.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Launching!

I had a TR228 and i picked up 8 hp at 2k rpm's, it only got higher from there up, ended up peaking at 41 hp over stock cam. Maybe it has something to do with the tune.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

I am running a 232-234 595. 598. 112. they dyno was on a mustang dyno. does anyone have a dyno sheet of a stock ls1. because my other one to go from is from bolt ons. my car seems stock until about 2500 rpm's then its a whole different story. I may have lost some down low but the dyno doesn't show below 2800rpm's, but i can't tell a difference.
Old 11-20-2005, 03:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I am running a 232-234 595. 598. 112. they dyno was on a mustang dyno. does anyone have a dyno sheet of a stock ls1. because my other one to go from is from bolt ons. my car seems stock until about 2500 rpm's then its a whole different story. I may have lost some down low but the dyno doesn't show below 2800rpm's, but i can't tell a difference.
What the heck...we have the same cam The dyno that i posted above was overlayed with when my car had only a lid and cat back FYI.
Old 11-20-2005, 06:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nuzee
That would be a more believable statement if you said:
"I had a trex and I gained everywhere lower, mid, upper part of my dyno curve which started at 3000 rpm. "

It would really go against conventional wisdom if you truely meant the lower, middle and upper parts of the entire rpm range.

I think its pretty obvious that I would gain 3k+ with the trex over the stock cam. My point is my car felt stronger even in the lower RPMs over the stock cam so I did not lose anything as the title of this thread suggests. Of course we have no way of measuring this but I drove that car every day.

Quick Reply: Big Cam guys, loss of low end...